Hockey fans in the house???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
    That must have been rough. Almost as rough as being a life - long Leafs fan. But my hockey watching days ended bavk in the 20th. But I will say that if I had to pick one NHL player in my lifetime that I watched play that I would not want to tangle with, That would be a Boston Bruins player from well back in the 20th, care to take a guess, Neil?

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

If you mean play against, it must be Bobby Orr, but if you mean fight, it would be Mike Milbury.

Agree, the phrase "tangle with" is ambiguous.

But if it means "play against", I have to think it might be Phil Esposito. If I were a non-Bruins defenseman, I would want to play against Orr, because a true athlete always wants to play against the best. But to play against Esposito had a different aspect: it just didn't matter at all what you did, you couldn't move him out of his spot in front of the net and he would get his goals from 10 feet or less away from the net no matter what you did. Phil Esposito was the most "immovable object" in the history of the NHL.

In the famous 1972 Canada-Soviet series, the Russians said in so many words that Esposito was the greatest player they had ever played against. Ok, so they didn't get to experience Orr in his prime .... one of the great tragedies of hockey history. Orr uninjured on the 1972 Team Canada would have had that team winning 6 of the 8 games, imo.

Comment

It was indeed sad that Orr could not play, and do not forget that the best left-winger in history was not allowed to play because he "defected" to the new rival hockey league, the WHA. This was actually not a Canada-Russia series, it was a Canadians in the NHL-Russia series. Add Bobby Hull to the mix, along with Orr, and yes, I do not think that the Russians could have made it so close. As I have said before, on the wall Click image for larger version  Name:	hendersongoal.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.5 KB ID:	226132 right in front of my desk as I type is a copy of that most famous photograph of that most famous goal in hockey history, autographed personally to me by Paul Henderson himself. This photo is not mine, and the autograph on mine is between Henderson's foot and the foot of the Russian.
      Last edited by Brad Thomson; Wednesday, 19th April, 2023, 01:12 PM.

Comment

20th century, probably the '80s, maybe even late '70s
        There's so many from that era, Fred. The Big Bad Bruins under Wayne Cashman's leadership! ... I'd have to say ... Terry O’Reilly !!!

Comment

If you mean play against, it must be Bobby Orr, but if you mean fight, it would be Mike Milbury.
          No, I meant the one guy I would not get into a fight with. This guy was tough, scary, and mean, I think the rest of the league were scared of him

edit: Mike Milbury a tough guy? That would never have occurred to me. The guy they were all scared of was Stan Jonathan
          Last edited by Fred Henderson; Thursday, 20th April, 2023, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

There's so many from that era, Fred. The Big Bad Bruins under Wayne Cashman's leadership! ... I'd have to say ... Terry O’Reilly !!!
            Nobody wanted to fight Stan Jonathan. But yeah, O'Reilly was tough, so was Keith Magnussen

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post
              [I]Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post

Agree, the phrase "tangle with" is ambiguous.

No, it's not ambiguous at all.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tangl...client=gws-wiz

Comment

Well, the Bruins were not so big and bad last evening. The Leafs are the Leafs. Go Dallas Go (any team that uses a Pantera tune as their goal song has my support).

Pantera - Mouth For War (Official Music Video) [4K] - YouTube

Comment

Well, the Bruins were not so big and bad last evening. The Leafs are the Leafs. Go Dallas Go (any team that uses a Pantera tune as their goal song has my support).

Pantera - Mouth For War (Official Music Video) [4K] - YouTube
                  OK, punk ... keep yappin' ... so we had a sloppy 3rd ... 15 GVAs in the game!!!

DON'T
                  POKE
                  THE
                  BEAR !!!

Dallas ... looked good. Character game for Toronto tonite!

Comment

Nobody wanted to fight Stan Jonathan. But yeah, O'Reilly was tough, so was Keith Magnussen
                    Stan Jonathan !!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Jonathan

Thanks, forgot all about him!

Comment

I also remember Johnny Pie-Face McKenzie. He and Forbes Kennedy had a wild battle in that playoff game that Boston beat the Leafs 10-0. Kennedy even decked one of the linesmen who was attempting to step in. When the fight moved along the boards there were Boston fans punching the Leaf player in the head by reaching over the glass. And of course, that was the game where Pat Quinn knocked Bobby Orr out cold with the cleanest, sweetest hit in history. Quinn told me personally shortly after that event that one of the Boston police officers slugged him when he was in the penalty box. DO NOT MESS WITH THE BRUINS OR THEIR FANS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Stan Jonathan !!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Jonathan

Thanks, forgot all about him!
                        Hah! good link. This from the article...,

Arguably Jonathan's most famous moment[4] was his savage beating of Pierre Bouchard in a brawl during Game 4 of the 1978 Stanley Cup Finals. Challenged by Bouchard, who outweighed Jonathan by thirty pounds and stood six inches taller, Jonathan held his own, breaking Bouchard's nose and cheekbone and knocking him to the ice.[1]

Magnussen could look death in the eye and not flinch. I vividly remember watching a game at home with my parents where Magnussen hit the ice to block a slapshot from the blue-line and took it square in the jaw. DO modern defencement do that? I doubt it. Pussies.

Comment

Why do Toronto Maple Leafs fans NOT drink much tea?

Comment

Because all of the cups are in Montreal.

Born 1960, so you can imagine how this teenager made is father mad in the 70s. He hated Montreal. So I of course cheered them on.

The Vancouver - Toronto Connection (Vancouver Born and raised)

1. At some point in the 80s, Vancouver Canucks trade Rick Vaive in his rookie season and Bill Derlago for a thirty something Dave (Tiger) Williams and Jerry Butler. LOL

2. One year, I think 82 or 83, The Vancouver Canucks are having a terrible season, and coach Harry Neilsen is fired two thirds of the way through.. They replace him with Captain Video who implements a bump and grind system that takes them all the way to the Stanley Cup finals, where they go down four straight to the New York Islanders.

Gold star to Mario Lemeiux, who scored a beutiful goal with his first shot, on his first shift, in the NHL Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBbp3evqoPs

Comment

Well now Grandmasterov, your boys are clearly the better club, but as we all know... They should pull it out, but the more games it takes them the tougher it will be later on. And your defense is a little sloppy in its own end of the ice, just like the Leafs. A Toronto-Boston series would be awesome, let us hope it comes about.

Comment

Well now Grandmasterov, your boys are clearly the better club, but as we all know... They should pull it out, but the more games it takes them the tougher it will be later on. And your defense is a little sloppy in its own end of the ice, just like the Leafs. A Toronto-Boston series would be awesome, let us hope it comes about.
                                Yep, sloppy.

At least Taylor Hall has found his game!

And the Kraken have risen!

Comment

Working...
                                X