The Sweet Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sweet Science

I got my start watching Mohammed Ali's comeback fight against Jerry Quarry, then watched as much as possible all through the 70s. Eventually I was put off by the ... way the more popular or promotable fighters get the benefit of the doubt. Also being witness to the sad decline of so many great fighters, guys like Ali, Wilfred Benitez, etc.

My favorite fighter was probably Alexis Arguello. What a shock the way he decided to pack it in.

One fight that really sticks in my mind was the heavyweight title fight between Larry Holmes and Gerry Cooney. Such a racially - tinged build up to the fight, Everyone figured that great white hype Gerry Cooney would knock Holmes goofy. I vivid memory from the build-up in the press was a quote from Holmes - "It's that black/white thing again. I hate that shit. Tip of the hat to Holmes for never playing the race card, he just went about his business. The fear that quickly showed on Cooney's face in the early stages of the fight just made Holmes meaner, like throwing raw meat to a pit bull. A very satisfying victory. Here's a video of the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s2rOOocTXs

edit: ok, just watched the fight for only the second time. Not fear, just a grimace. Cooney did try. Not quite the way I remembered it. A slow cautious fight, Holmes picking his spots. Holmes takes a serious low blow in the 9th, takes a round to recover, then gets down to business.
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; Tuesday, 16th May, 2023, 12:27 PM.

My fave is Marvellous Marvin Hagler. He had it all- power, speed, balance and a great chin. Also, while a natural southpaw he moved to orthodox and back very fluidly and was hard to react to as a result. The greatest single round I have ever seen was Round One against Hearns. I scored that found a 10-9 Hearns. Hagler knocked him out cold in the third.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
      My fave is Marvellous Marvin Hagler. He had it all- power, speed, balance and a great chin. Also, while a natural southpaw he moved to orthodox and back very fluidly and was hard to react to as a result. The greatest single round I have ever seen was Round One against Hearns. I scored that found a 10-9 Hearns. Hagler knocked him out cold in the third.
      Yes. A great proud champion, who waited a long time to get a shot at le title. His loss to Sugar Ray was hard to watch, but Hagler was past his prime. Probably Leonard did outpoint him slightly, but if you are a traditionalist, as I am, then you are supposed to win convincingly against a long-time champion to take his title.

Hagler was very critical of the decision to go from 15 rounds to 12 rounds, as am i, He also hated having women as ringside judges, saying it was a "man's Sport"

Great respect to Hagler for the following. When asked whether he would seek a rematch against Leonard, he replied "My heart says yes, my head says no". He made the right decision, unlike so many others.

Oh Yeah. Roberto Duran is vastly overrated.

Comment

I scored the fight 7 rounds to 5 for Hagler, Leonard may have landed a few more love taps, but Hagler landed all of the best shots and kept moving forward while Leonard ran away and avoided the fight.

Comment

I do not agree about Duran, he moved up a division and beat Leonard, to me Leonard was overrated. I also think that Ali was grossly overrated, Chuvalo beat him twice in my opinion. Holmes was the best heavyweight I ever saw until Tyson came along.

Comment

I scored the fight 7 rounds to 5 for Hagler, Leonard may have landed a few more love taps, but Hagler landed all of the best shots and kept moving forward while Leonard ran away and avoided the fight.
            I don't give Hagler extra credit for moving forward, while Leonard danced. That's called "smart boxing", IMNSHO. It's been a while, but I have my doubts about the phrase "love taps. "What do you expect him to do, stand and slug it out with Marvin Hagler? Probably Leonard bided his time and waited until Hagler was past it before offering him the big bucks. I never did see the Hagler - Duran fight, but I have read that he received a lot of respect for changing his style, and fighting a great fight by sticking and moving from the outside. Duran of course eventially became a 5-division title holder, by taking down another great legend, Iran Barkley, who had previously taken down the guy that hagler destroyed, Thomas Hearns ( think that was the WBO light-heavywait, or maybe even the Junior cruiserweight division. Leonard went on to destroy Donny Lalonde for the super-middleweight title with a devastating knockout, and looked great doing irt I still remember the thud as Lalonde landed flat on his back on the canvas. I could make a case for Leonard as best ever, but I say that now, looking back. I wasn't saying it then.

Interesting to note the the first Hagler - Antefuermo fight was on the undercard of leonard Welterwight victory over Wilfred Benitez. That Hagler fight was ruled a draw, which was robbery, but he did give Vito respect for offer the shot because he thought Hagler desrved it, and Hagler reciprocated and made Antefuermo's face a bloody mess. I have seen picture of a devastating headbutt from Hagler, but I can't find it now. Of course Hagler also punched him goofy with ease.

Here's one you might remember. Hagler was a man of God, but he didn't talk about it much. I do believe he prayed in the ring. Anyways, in a television interview, he is seated calmly at a table and the interview asks him something like "How do you, as a man of God, reconcile your faith with the fact that you are trying to injure somebody. He comes right back back with a big smile, no doubt delighted with the opportunity. "That's different. This is business. If you step into the ring against me and try to take what's mine, then I am going to rip your head off". LOL
            Last edited by Fred Henderson; Friday, 19th May, 2023, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I do agree that Hagler was one fight past his prime when he fought Leonard, and that he retired at the right time. And the Duran-Barkley fight was one of the best of that era.

Comment

I<snip>... the Duran-Barkley fight was one of the best of that era.
                I imagine Duran looked about as good against Barkley as he did against Davey Moore. Duran also ruled a very weak lightweight decision. Leonard schooled the guys that beat Duran.

Comment

Working...
                X