Canada or the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada or the USA?

Call me jaded, but the older I get, the more pissed off I become with my country. In particular this institutionalised thing we call the cultural mosaic and the sense of entitlement it breeds. Canadians expect so much. And it all costs so much. The melting pot is looking better and better all the time. All we do is emphasise our differences. 65 is looming. Am giving serious consideration to moving south. Anyone else feel this way?
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; Monday, 22nd January, 2024, 06:26 PM.

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
    Call me jaded, but the older I get, the more pissed off I become with my country. In particular this institutionalised thing we call the cultural mosaic and the sense of entitlement it breeds. Canadians expect so much. And it all costs so much. The melting pot is looking better and better all the time. All we do is emphasise our differences. 65 is looming. Am giving serious consideration to moving south. Anyone else feel this way?
    I'm guessing your decision would await the outcome of the November elections in USA. And that looks like Trump vs. Biden again, if their health holds up. What are you hoping for there?

Should Biden's health take a nosedive before the election, then Gavin Newsom or even Michelle Obama might be the Democratic alternative.

Then there is the issue of what state do you move to. Red or blue?

One place I've long thought of as a place to just retire and enjoy is Santa Fe, New Mexico. Really interesting culture and not too much political polarization going on there I think (but always subject to change, that's the nature of USA).

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

I'm guessing your decision would await the outcome of the November elections in USA. And that looks like Trump vs. Biden again, if their health holds up. What are you hoping for there?

Should Biden's health take a nosedive before the election, then Gavin Newsom or even Michelle Obama might be the Democratic alternative.

Then there is the issue of what state do you move to. Red or blue?

One place I've long thought of as a place to just retire and enjoy is Santa Fe, New Mexico. Really interesting culture and not too much political polarization going on there I think (but always subject to change, that's the nature of USA).
      Your points are well taken, but I don't bother with politics as they are now. Trump or Biden, it won't matter. It won't make much of a difference to the everyday lives of Americans, just like it never really made much of a difference in Canada, to me at least, whether it was Liberal or Conservative. Domestic life went on just the same. I just won't follow the news. I don't do that now. I'm pretty much retired now, so I guess that makes it easy to ignore that stuff.

Comment

Working...
      X