Match Scolaire QC-ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match Scolaire QC-ON

Nous avons fait notre tournoi annuelle a Universite Queen's (Kingston Ontario) le 8 juin 2013.

Des photos:

http://www.chess-math.org/2013_Kings...otos/index.htm

Les resultas du tournoi par equipe : http://www.chesstalk.com/elo/pub/scr...is.php?no=8875

Voici le reportage sur cette evenement:

Frank Dixon:
    I've got some games and description of the day from this event.

Nearly 90 young players, most of whom travelled by chartered bus to Kingston, from Montreal and Toronto, competed in what has become a very nice traditional scholastic teams event at Queen's University. IA Larry Bevand and his CMA team, which I assisted, orchestrated a smoothly-run tournament with no disputes and great sportsmanship all round. Many parents and coaches also made the trip.

The high school section was captured by University of Toronto Schools 'A' team, which won all five matches across four boards. Runner-up was Thornhill Secondary School.

The board one competition was intense, with at least six Masters and strong Experts taking part. The event had Michael Song (Henderson, Toronto), Christopher Knox (UTS A), Mark Plotkin (Thornhill), Zong Yang Yu (Notre Dame, Montreal), WCM Jackie Peng (UTS A), and David Itkin (Thorhnill). In addition, Nicholas Johnson (Selwyn House) defeated two Masters while sporting a rating below 1800, making matters very interesting!!

Before I post the games, I have to thank two players. Mark Plotkin generously allowed me to copy two of his gamescores, which I then returned to him. And Nicholas Johnson, who wasn't keeping score, recreated two games and sent them to me by email. You guys are the best!!

Zong Yang Yu (ND) -- Christopher Knox (UTS A)
    Ontario and Quebec Scholastic Team Championship
    Kingston 2013, June 8, round 5/5
    Time control: G/25 + 5 sec increment
    Queen's Indian Defense, Classical, E14
    Notes by Frank Dixon

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 b6
    [When at Queen's University, play the Queen's Indian Defense! However, we are dealing with two different Queens: Victoria for the university, and Caissa / the Black Queen for the chessboard!]
    4.e3 Bb7 5.Bd3 c5
    [This Classical line is topical more than a century after this position was first seen. It has been a favourite of superstars such as GM Paul Keres, GM Lajos Portisch, and GM Artur Yusupov. Perhaps its most famous game has been Keres -- Spassky, Gothenburg Interzonal 1955, which had a fantastic conclusive combination by Keres.]
    6.0-0 Be7 7.Nc3 0-0
    [NCO (1999) recommends 7...cxd4 as the easiest way to equality, but this has been played many times, and releases much of the position's energy. Knox finds highly interesting play away from the main lines.]
    8.d5 exd5 9.cxd5
    [NCO gives +/= here; we shall see!]
    9...d6 10.e4 Nbd7 11.h3 a6 12.a4 Ne8
    [Preparing to use the e5 square to stop the e-pawn's advance, by occupation, blocking, and exchanges.]
    13.Bf4 Bf6 14.Re1 Ne5 15.Nxe5 dxe5 16.Bh2 Nd6!
    [Blockading the passed d-pawn and controlling key light squares b5, c4, e4, f5 and f7. Nimzowitsch would have been pleased.]
    17.f4 Re8 18.Qf3 exf4 19.Bxf4 Be5 20.Bxe5 Rxe5 21.Qf4 Qe7 22.Re3 f5!
    [Black has definitely equalized against White's solid but rather unimaginative play, and is ready to create threats of his own.]
    23.Rae1 Re8 24.Qf1!? Qh4! =/+
    [I checked the clock times here, and White was down to six minutes, while Black had nearly 20 minutes remaining. This factor becomes important, since after a game of quiet maneuvre, we are about to heat up, with eight consecutive half-moves as captures in a position which has sharpened.]
    25.Bxa6 Bxa6 26.Qxa6 Nxe4 27.Nxe4
    [Not 27.Qxb6? Qf2+ 28.Kh1 Ng3+ wins. On 28.Kh2 Ng5!!, and now a) 29.Qxc5 Rxe3; b) 29.Rxe5 Rxe5 30.Rxe5 Nf3+ 31.Kh1 Qg1#.]
    27...Rxe4 28.Rxe4 fxe4 29.Qe2 e3!
    [Black's passer is stronger since it is closer to White's King, creating threats, is further advanced, and better supported.]
    30.b3 Qb4 31.Rf1 Qe4!
    [Just the kind of move one hates to face with one's clock winding down. UTS wound up losing on board two in this match, so this game was very important in determining the team results, and with his win, Knox also claimed the board prize.]
    32.Rd1 Rf8!? 33.Rd3??
    [He had to play 33.Rf1 and try to hold on, in either a queen or rook ending, with some drawing chances. After a long day of chess, preceded by a three-hour bus trip, and with very little time between rounds, White misses the threat. Sometimes in quiet games, threats, when they arrive, are more powerful since players may have been lulled into a false sense of security.]
    33...Rf2! 0-1.
    [More games to follow. I am still getting used to the new Chesstalk format, and this is my third try in filing this post. Hopefully it works!] Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post

-----------------------------------------
    Echecs et Maths est fiere d'organiser et commandite ce tournoi a chaque annee. J'aimerais remercie Drew Metcalfe, president du club d'echecs a Universite Queen's de s'occuper de la paprasse pour nous obtenir le site gratuitement...Frank Dixon qui est un atout pour nous. Quebec a gagner la section feminin 16-14 apres avoir perdu par un gros marge l'annee passe. Resultats: Crosstables: http://www.chesstalk.com/elo/pub/scr...is.php?no=8874

Echecs et Maths loue 2 autobus...un de Toronto et un de Montreal...nous fournissons le transport gratuit pour les joueurs...et a un petit prix pour les parents...nous avons la pizza gratuit (22 pizza XL et breuvage! gratuit :) Ainsi que le staff...merci a Francis Rodrigues de AEM Toronto et Georges Fournier AEM Montreal pour avoir contribuez au success de cette evenement! Une journee exceptionelle ou on joue aux echecs et on fait des nouveaux amis :)

Merci a tous ce qui achete leur livres et materiels d'echecs chez nous...ceci nous permets de faire une difference! www.strategygames.ca

Larry
Working...
X