Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Re : poll by TD: predefining the sections

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    That's interesting about the lower rating groups in Quebec. In my events, there is a slow but definite trend upwards, with U2000 usually being my biggest section. My U1600 and U1400 are slowly but surely shrinking, and I've never even considered any U1200.

By the way, we get players to come to Ottawa from Toronto, Kitchener, and even further ... but what would it take players like yourself from Montreal to come more?

Thanks for your feedback and vote.
    It would be hard to get players from Montreal for some reasons:

-First, there is already so many tournaments in Quebec that we can't play in each of them (I played about 175 rated games last year).
    - Then, why would chess players from Quebec would pay more to play in a tournament in Ontario when they can have one closer to their home?

-Of course, there is the fact too that there is no publicity at all of the canadians tournaments in Quebec. We don't have the same federation and people here only see the FQE tournaments.

You might get a couple of players, but those would be the few that have the money, the time and who can speak in English.

Comment

Re: poll by TD: predefining the sections

Regarding the peak rating issue, I think the cut off should be something like 100 points over the section limit. It doesn't seem fair to bar someone from U2000 if his rating happened to be 2015 a few years back, but if he used to be over 2100, then I would agree. Also, exceptions could be made for people whose peak ratings were 5 or more years ago.

I also agree with waiving the "playing up" fee for players within 100 points of the cutoff.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : poll by TD: predefining the sections

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        It would be hard to get players from Montreal for some reasons:

-First, there is already so many tournaments in Quebec that we can't play in each of them (I played about 175 rated games last year).
        - Then, why would chess players from Quebec would pay more to play in a tournament in Ontario when they can have one closer to their home?

-Of course, there is the fact too that there is no publicity at all of the canadians tournaments in Quebec. We don't have the same federation and people here only see the FQE tournaments.

You might get a couple of players, but those would be the few that have the money, the time and who can speak in English.
        On me trouve bilingue ;)

Comment

Re: poll by TD: predefining the sections

What happened to the rule of playing a minimum of 26 games to obtain a regular rating. If an unrated player played less than 26 games, he should not be entitled to win a sectional prize but instead unrated prize, right?

If a player has not played chess tournaments for a few years and planned to come back, How will you give an approximate rating? Can you based it on the average of his last 26 games?

Regarding Predefining the Sections:

I prefer Open, Under 2000 and U1700 with prizes spread at least 5th place.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X