Tromsø World Cup, Rounds 5 to 7

Friday, August 23, 2013

Round Five, Game One

Pairings – The Elite Eight

Tomashevsky-Kamsky
    Vachier-Lagrave-Caruana
    Kramnik-Korobov
    Andreikin-Svidler

In the NCAA March Madness brackets, the fourth round is usually called Sweet Sixteen, the fifth, Elite Eight, the sixth, Final Four and the seventh, Championship.
    ++++++++++

The commentators are Nigel Short and Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam, whom henceforth we shall call DJtG.

Nigel is a grandmaster and chess journalist. He ends up in controversies sometimes. One must note his match with Kasparov outside of FIDE in 1993. He shares a birthday (June 1) with the players Shamkovich and Szuba. He presently lives with his wife and family in Athens.

DJtG is a 56-year-old journalist and editor of New in Chess magazine, which he has built into, arguably, the best in the world. Lately, he was the commentator at the Alekhine Memorial and the Norway Supertournament. He is in to chess history and covered the important tournaments of the last two decades.
    DJtG is rather scholarly and speaks measured sentences; viewers are having a hard time warming up to him this early into the finals.
    This also may be due to the fact that yesterday’s tiebreak action was so intense that today’s play seems boring by comparison.
    +++++++++

DJtG: Yesterday we watched a thrilling tiebreak day and you thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Nigel: In particular, Tomashevsky, was the hero of the day. On Facebook there were several grandmasters, very strong players, who said it was one of the most remarkable comebacks they had ever seen. It was wonderful to be part of that. 169 moves – in my 43 years of playing chess, I have never played a game as long as that. I was giggling at the maneuvers. How did Tomashevsky make something out of very little? He just persevered. And Morozevich, in the second game, took the wrong course and played conservatively.
    DJtG: And there was this final position where Tomashevsky could have mated Morozevich and didn’t. Some people were under the impression that he hadn’t seen it. Immediately after the game he told us that he had seen it.
    Nigel: I think he had not seen it, but saw it after repeating the moves. Morozevich had seen it and proposed the draw. There was no reason not to take it.
    ++++++++

DJtG: What are your expectations of the matches?
    Nigel: At this stage, they are all very strong players. The difference in elo between the players is very small. Arpad Elo, the inventor of the rating system, said a difference of twenty rating points is statistically insignificant.
    I expect three or four tiebreaks.
    There is a question as to what happens to Tomashevsky now? Yesterday he played all day, epic encounters. Does he take energy from his brilliant comeback or does he collapse in a heap? You never know which way it works. I am thinking of the Karpov-Korchnoi Match in Baguio in 1978, Korchnoi came back from being 5-2 down to 5-5 and everybody thought that the force was with him and that he was going to triumph in the last game and then he lost and lost horribly. You are never quite sure. Gata had it easier than Tomashevsky yesterday but you never know.
    ++++++++

DJtG: Of the 128 players who started in this tournament, 25 were Russians. Now there are four left.
    Nigel: I have been talking to Gary Kasparov in the last few days and he has said that the level in chess in this event is pretty low. This may be a grumpy old man, who has retired from the game, saying that things were better in his day. What he did say is that Peter Svidler is in excellent form. Peter is the favorite over Kramnik in these matches.
    +++++++

DJtG: Korobov is a highly rated player, whom we know little about. Everyone immediately liked him during his interview with Susan and Lawrence. He is very unpredictable in his answers and in his play.

There is a tweet question, which appears on the screen from Carl Portman. “If Korobov is the answer, what is the question?"
    Nigel: I must tell you that Carl Portman breeds exotic spiders. I stayed at his house not too long ago. He had these enormous spiders there which he kept trying to get me to pick up. No thank you. I’m not touching them. He has a fabulous collection. I have no idea how to answer that question!
    ++++++++

Nigel: Caruana has spent a very long time (half an hour) on his move 16, where to move the bishop that has been attacked by white’s h3.
    Caruana moves it back to c8 and then to b7. Will this time loss come back to haunt him?
    ++++++++

Deep thoughts from our friends on chessbomb:

Korchnoi is a sore loser, he accuses his opponents of hypnotism
    He said that the Karpov team had a hypnotist, that Carlsen has hypnotic skills, and Mecking too
    I have a magnificent book from Jan Timman and others on that match.
    Korchnoi is a mystic and loves parapsychological stuff. So you put a guy with a strange face in a seat (watching the match) and he starts raving.
    He once played a game with the dead Maroczy

[The match referred to was the 1978 WCC between Korchnoi and Karpov. Karpov had, as part of his team, a Dr. Vladimir Zhukar. Of Game 4, it was written: Dr. Zukhar fixed an unbroken stare upon Korchnoi during the entire 39 minutes which Karpov devoted to [his 15th] move]
    ++++++++

Tomashevsky-Kamsky is a draw in 16 moves.

Andreikin-Svidler is also a draw, in 30 moves (repetition).

Svidler joins Nigel and DJtG.

Nigel: People, who are tweeting, are somewhat abusive about your pawn structure.
    Peter: I can relate. I am a pawn up, but my pawns are not pawns in the classical sense
    Nigel: In fact you have tremendous activity. You are pressing. But sometimes these positions can suddenly turn against you.

At one point in the opening Svidler went into a big think:

Peter: This is the reason I spent 25 minutes on 10….Qb6 and went for this endgame. I must start something immediately, I need to find a plan. If at some point I allow Nh4 and Bd3, he starts pushing me away and I have no counterplay.

The chessbomb people:

- Svidler is thinking looking at his shoes
    - Svidler is in his deep think mode again - he is actually a freak of nature
    - he basically plays blindfold
    - Ivanchuk is a savant while Svidler is some other sort of natural genius.
    +++++++

After four hours and about 45 moves, it appears Kramnik has a winning advantage over Korobov.
    +++++++

In Vachier-Lagrave vs Caruana, the endgame is rook and white-square bishop each. White is a pawn up but has no great advantage.
    +++++++

DJtG: Let’s take some tweets.

(reads) Kramnik already has qualified for the Candidates. What happens if he is number one or number two here?
    Well, you would think that number 3 from this tournament would qualify. But the fact is that there are only two qualifications from this tournament. If one or two of those were to qualify, then that is it. That is no longer true because Aronian is out. If one has qualified, then the other qualifier will be chosen by average rating, which will be Sergei Karjakin, who is slightly ahead of Teimour Rajabov. The latter has been playing pretty badly lately and has dropped a lot of elo points.
    Nigel: My question is wouldn’t there be an argument for using live ratings for the qualification. His near qualification from this event is dependent on past results and he has been playing horribly this year.
    DJtG: So you think the ratings used should be more recent.
    Nigel: Let me argue the other way. When I look at the elo list now of the top 100 players now, I see that one of the players is dead and hasn’t been taken off. So there is an argument for just having very recent ratings!

Nigel: (reads) What makes a prodigy being one yourself and now teaching your son? Is it hard work, talent? Some become GMs, others fade.
    Nigel: My son enjoys chess and is a singer and a dancer and has appeared in a number of operas. He played in his first tournament at the age of 14. We know if you are not a GM by 14, you are on the scrapheap. Let my son enjoy his chess and being with his friends. You will always find that the very talented people have spent a huge amount of time immersed in their field. As a young player I played more games than anyone else in the north of England. I was playing 150 rated games a year and even a 180 and going to school too.
    You have talent, but must put in the work as well. I disagree with Laszlo Polgar on this. He may think that the experiment on his daughters proved this, but I don’t. They were intelligent girls anyway.
    ++++++++

Vladimir Kramnik has won his game against Korobov.

Vladimir: I played quite badly. I understand that I could have mated in three at one point, move 37.
    Nigel: That’s an exaggeration; it’s not quite a mate in 3.

The game went to move 51.
    +++++++++

Vachier-Lagrave-Caruana was a draw after 61 moves.
    A Grunfeld, Caruana prepared up to 12…Qb2.

Nigel: We had an incredibly long think by Fabiano. It was like there was a stuffed dummy at the board. What was going through your mind?

Fabiano: I was cursing myself for not checking this before the game. I had the position somewhere in my computer and I couldn’t remember whether I should put my bishop on c7 or d8 (move 16). I could have used the time later. You can’t think naturally about the move, you are trying to remember what you had on the computer and recreate it. In the end, I chose the wrong move.

DJtG: Maxime feels he missed a chance to win in this game. The one win in the matches was convincing even though the winner wasn’t convinced.

Nigel: A lot of self-flagellation there. Join us tomorrow. Four have to go either tomorrow or in the tiebreak.
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Friday, 23rd August, 2013, 03:11 PM.

Re: Tromsø World Cup, Rounds 5 to 7

Short is very dry in an English sort of way and Dirk is, as you say, scholarly (dull). I do like Dirk's knowledge of chess history very much. Perhaps this team will improve over the next few days. Neither has the natural gracefulness that Susan Polgar demonstrated so much of. In place of putting her guests at ease, you see Short being mischievous and getting so sidetracked that Peter Svidler actually corrected him and said, in effect, "Let's get back to talking about chess."

It seems that Susan Polgar was very aware that she could be breaking new ground in chess coverage, and tried new things, making her guests at ease, trying to get them to talk about themselves, and show what these players are like as human beings, and just being kindly in an almost motherly sort of way. This is a person who is easy to like. It is also easy to admire what she's trying to do here. Polgar peppers her remarks with the occasional comment specifically aimed at much lower rated players; in so doing she is aiming at more than one demographic in her coverage. This is what a skillful educator does. She didn't hesitate to calculate on her own and specifically avoided using the computer and explained why she was doing so. This is in contrast to Short who seemed more happy to fall back on the silicon oracle (his or Dirk's term) at the first opportunity.

Anyway, I shall keep an open mind and I am still impressed with the coverage. Susan Polgar has just set the bar very high.
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Friday, 23rd August, 2013, 06:06 PM. Reason: additions, you know?
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Funny enough at first I didn't really like Polgar mainly because she kept making simple observations for beginners. Over time, she's definitely grown on me and her interviews with the top players (especially her interview with Svidler) was impressive, asking him about his home city, the difference between St Petersburg and Moscow and other things. She seems to have a natural talent for this type of chess work.
      Shameless self-promotion on display here
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

If Kramnik mysteriously gets ill tomorrow, it isn't because of THIS guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VakH0RbzG4E

Comment

Tromsø World Cup, Rounds 5 to 7

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Round Five, Game Two

Pairings – The Elite Eight

Kamsky-Tomashevsky
          Caruana-Vachier-Lagrave
          Korobov-Kramnik
          Svidler-Andreikin
          +++++++++++

Summary of the action from ChessBase:

Anton Korobov had excellent chances against Vladimir Kramnik despite being out-prepared from the opening. Black's position was quite good but the Russian decided that some simplifications were in order to obtain an opposite colored bishop endgame with rooks on the board. However he underestimated how powerful these bishops coupled with the rooks and the better structure could become, and Korobov slowly but surely built a winning advantage. However due to a couple of inaccuracies and sheer tenacity from the ex-World Champion Black was able to hold the position, almost miraculously, and advance to the semi-finals.

Gata Kamsky came to the game with one result in mind: victory. He avoided Evgeny Tomashevsky's preparation in the Marshall, but the latter was insistent on sacrificing a pawn regardless! White's extra pawn came at a dangerous price as his pawn structure in front of his king was shattered. In mutual time pressure Kamsky retained his extra pawn, but with a slightly vulnerable king and a passed h-pawn that Tomashevsky was running down the board it became difficult to play. The American blundered by thinking he could stop this pawn with the king, when in fact the sacrifice of this pawn, done by promoting it, lifted any protection that the king might have had and it fell into a mating net that cost white his queen, the game and the spot in the semi-final.

The other two games were drawn, and so there will be two tiebreak matches tomorrow. Peter Svidler and Dmitry Andreikin were done quickly; a Caro-Kann Advance with 3... c5 soon led to an equal ending and both players were happy to postpone the real fight for another day.

After surviving a difficult situation yesterday, this time it was Fabiano Caruana who had reasons to be disappointed with his draw against Maxime Vachier-Lagrave. As White, the Italian won the bishop pair and also left his opponent with a weak c-pawn, but it was not enough.

So, Svidler-Andreikin and Caruana-Vachier-Lagrave to the tiebreaks tomorrow

Going on to Round Six - Evgeny Tomashevsky and Vladimir Kramnik

Pairings in the Semi-Final, Round Six

Tomashevsky - Andreikin/Svidler
          Vachier-Lagrave/Caruana - Kramnik

Going home - Gata Kamsky and Anton Korobov

Note: Because Tomashevsky is advancing, he cannot play in the Poikovsky tournament scheduled to start August 27. His replacement is Alexander Motylev.

(For those of you rushing out to buy airline tickets, Poikovsky, Russia is about 150km east of Khanty-Mansiysk. But as the New Englander once said, "you can't get there from here". Well, not directly).
          ++++++++

Readers' comments

-The Professor takes Gata to school!

- One Blunder it's human, but the next sequence: The Houdini evaluation goes from: 34. Qd1 (-0.18) 35. b4 (-0.8) 36. Qd4 (-4.22) 37. Kf1 (-16.39) 38. Kg2 (-1000) !!!
          I never saw such thing in my life.
          Feel sorry for Gata, he played inspiring games against Mame, pity that he is eliminated.
          Go Svidler! (go go go)

- Great tournament, great coverage on the Internet. Must say I preferred SP & LT a lot as commentators compared to DJtG & NS. Short is just too much engaged showing off his expertise to all the players visiting the studio. And the way they completely ignored their guest Eva Repkova during the last 15 minutes of the broadcast, without even saying thanks or goodbye at the end, was definitely not a show of good manners, to put it mildly

- I thought short did a good job and he's full of entertaining anecdotes (one of which pissed off susan polgar). I probably preferred the polgar/trent duo more, both of whom I'd give high praise (I didn't find trent clueless, as someone suggested).

- I think Nigel Short is a DELIGHTFUL commentator. Susan Polgar's attack on him was vicious and totally uncalled-for. So, he mentioned that the guest commentator was Kramnik's former girlfriend -- big deal!

-I think the problem is that Short has a reputation for making "off-colour"/ controversial statements. Sometimes he crosses the line, or he almost crosses the line. For example, he mentioned that Kurnosov is still on the Fide rating list even though he's dead. To me that was unacceptable.

- I think having seen all commentators in action; a Trent/Short partnership would have offered something for everyone. The best woman commentator I've seen is Irina Krush though. That would have been a real treat.

- By far the most enjoyable partnership at the Candidates was Trent+Short (especially when the likes of Jon Speelman or John Nunn joined in), so I strongly concur there. Trent likes to try stuff a lot and has the more radical opinions, whereas Short, of course, is the voice of reason, bringing him down to Earth when necessary and providing the deeper analysis, plus the nice anecdotes. Lawrence seems to be a very good initiative player and has good theoretical knowledge, while Nigel is better at defending and has a finer feel for the position most of the time. They complement each other beautifully. Plus, Lawrence is fun! Nigel needs someone fun to interact with; I don't think he can entertain by himself. And DJTG isn't working out for me as a co-commentator so far. He's not boring or completely irrelevant, I disagree with that, but he's not exactly fun either and I definitely think he brings close to nothing to the chess moves part of the discussion. I can't imagine what his contribution would have been to the amazing Morozevich-Tomashevsky rapid game in the previous round, and I'm glad Lawrence was there for that.
          ++++++++

Personally I like DJtG’s literary and historical approach to chess commentary. The three dream commentator teams that I would choose would be:

Susan Polgar, DJtG
          Lawrence Trent, Nigel Short
          Peter Svidler, Alexander Grischuk

Too bad that at least three of those individuals will be playing in next year’s Olympiad.
          +++++++

Recent World Cup History

The World Cup Tournaments of the last decade have been 128-man contests with the winner(s) qualifying for the Candidates. They all took place at Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia.

2005 – (1) Lev Aronian (Armenia), (2) Ruslan Ponomariov (Ukraine), (3) Etienne Bacrot (France). The Canadian representative was Pascal Charbonneau. Eleven qualified for the 2007 Candidates.

2007 – (1) Gata Kamsky (USA), (2) Alexei Shirov (Spain). Kamsky lost an eight game match against Veselin Topalov for the right to challenge Anand for the WCC.
          The Canadian representative was Igor Zugic.

2009 – (1) Boris Gelfand (Israel), (2) Ruslan Ponomariov (Ukraine). Gelfand qualified for the 2011 Candidates.
          The Canadian representative was Jean Hébert.

2011 – (1) Peter Svidler (Russia), (2) Alexander Grischuk (Russia), (3) Vassily Ivanchuk (Ukraine). These three qualified for the 2013 Candidates.
          The two Canadian representatives were Mark Bluvshtein and Eric Hansen.
          Last edited by Wayne Komer; Wednesday, 28th August, 2013, 10:09 PM. Reason: added final results

Comment

I suppose comparing Nigel and Susan as interviewers is like comparing David Letterman and Oprah Winfrey- the former keeping things light with wisecracks and witticisms, the latter with a more serious but kindly and sensitive approach. Both have their place, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
              I suppose comparing Nigel and Susan as interviewers is like comparing David Letterman and Oprah Winfrey- the former keeping things light with wisecracks and witticisms, the latter with a more serious but kindly and sensitive approach. Both have their place, I think.
              Short's sense of humour seems to involve mocking the dead (Sveshnikov? Geller? Najdorf? Player "X"? Someone help here please.), people with weight problems and/or drinking problems, girlfriends who are less strong as players, those who can't afford first class plane tickets, chess seconds who should be slaves so (we) don't have to pay them, vegetarians, philosophers since Plato, and on and on. I even found his semi-stuttering delivery annoying (like someone who has little to say but wishes to prevent others from speaking). He seemed to be visibly uncomfortable when talk turned to friendship and being part of a team.

Think about it.

Korobov, who took a thumping in his first game (ever) with Vladimir Kramnik was interviewed by Polgar. Korobov was so distressed his answers were self critical in the extreme. He mentioned capital punishment for himself. Despite that, Susan Polgar made an enormous effort to encourage him, to draw his attention to what was needed, and didn't bite on any of the negative stuff he threw her way. I really doubt Short could have done what was needed.

There's just no comparison. Maybe I'm just grumpy because I don't share Nigel Short's conservative views. Notwithstanding some here on Chess Talk, who consider me a law enforcement zealot for my views on catching chess cheaters, I really prefer a friendly and blue collar and welcoming approach to chess.

It's a new era for chess. Not just computers but women in chess, more attention to fitness, breaking down the mystique, better understanding the general educative benefits of chess, yadda yadda. It's not some polo match only for those who are invited. Chess is for everyone. Everyone.

Okay, that's my rant.
              Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Sunday, 25th August, 2013, 12:16 PM. Reason: name correction

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                Short's sense of humour seems to involve mocking the dead (Sveshnikov) ...
                He's dead?
                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Probably Short referred to Kurnusov, but at any rate the comment Short made is not appropriate. I do not have time to listen to the live commentary but I read what Mr. Komer posts here, and I also find Short's commentary being subpar. I would expect more substance from somebody who was at the top of the game, but it seems to me that he avoids any substance at all.

Comment

Tromso World Cup

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Round Five, Game Three Tiebreak

Caruana-Vachier Lagrave 0.5-0.5
                    Andreikin-Svidler 1-0

Andreikin-Svidler A45 Trompwsky

1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 e6 3. Nd2 h6 4. Bh4 c5 5. e3 Be7 6. c3 b6 7. Ngf3 Ba6 8. Bxf6 Bxf6 9. Bxa6 Nxa6 10. Ne4 cxd4 11. Nxf6+ Qxf6 12. cxd4 Qe7 13. O-O O-O 14. Qa4 Nc7 15. Rac1 Nd5 16. Ne5 d6 17. Nd3 Rfc8 18. h3 Qb7 19. Qa3 Qd7 20. Qa6 f5 21. Rfe1 Kf7 22. Nf4 Nb4 23. Qe2 Nxa2 24. Rxc8 Rxc8 25. e4 Nb4 26. exf5 exf5 27. Qf3 a5 28. Re6 Kg8 29. Qg3 Nd5 30. Qb3 1-0

Round Five, Game Four Tiebreak

Svidler-Andreikin 0.5-0.5
                    Lagrave-Caruana 1-0

Andreikin with a very good game forced perpetual check, drawing. Thus, Andreikin goes through to the next room and will play Tomashevsky.
                    ++++++++++

Lagrave-Caruana was a Dutch. The comment of the day:

- Whenever an Italian-American plays the Dutch against a Frenchman while in Norway, that is a sure sign the apocalypse is near.

Vachier-Lagrave-Caruana A81 Dutch

1. d4 f5 2. g3 Nf6 3. Bg2 d6 4. Nc3 d5 5. Nf3 e6 6. O-O Be7 7. Bf4 O-O 8. Nb5 Ne8 9. c4 c6 10. Nc3 Nd7 11. Qb3 Kh8 12. Rad1 Nd6 13. cxd5 exd5 14. Ne5 Nf6 15. Nd3 Nh5 16. e3 Qe8 17. Rfe1 Nf6 18. f3 Qd8 19. Re2 b6 20. Qa4 Bd7 21. Ne5 Be8 22. Rc1 Rc8 23. Qd1 h6 24. Nd3 Bf7 25. Bh3 Be6 26. Qa4 Bd7 27. Qc2 Qe8 28. Be5 Nh7 29. Bg2 Ng5 30. Qa4 Ra8 31. Rce1 Nc4 32. Bf4 Ne6 33. Qd1 Bf6 34. b3 Na5 35. Bd6 Rg8 36. Be5 Qf7 37. Qc2 Rae8 38. Rf2 h5 39. Ne2 Nb7 40. e4 c5 41. exd5 Nxd4 42. Nxd4 cxd4 43. f4 Bb5 44. a4 Rc8 45. Qd2 Bd7 46. Rfe2 Rge8 47. Bxf6 gxf6 48. Ne5 Qg7 49. Nxd7 Qxd7 50. Qxd4 Kg7 51. Bf3 Nc5 52. d6 Rxe2 53. Rxe2 Re8 54. Bxh5 Rxe2 55. Bxe2 Nxb3 56. Qd5 Nc5 57. Bb5 Qf7 58. Qxf7+ Kxf7 59. h4 Nb7 60. d7 Nd8 61. Bc4+ Kf8 62. Bd5 a6 63. Kf2 b5 64. axb5 axb5 65. Ke3 Ke7 66. h5 1-0

Lagrave will play Kramnik tomorrow.

DJtG: You’ll be playing an old man – he’s in his thirties.
                    Maxime: He’s in quite good shape!
                    DJtG: A tweet thinks that you will be flying the western flag in your match!
                    Maxime: I will be doing my best.
                    DJtG: I’ll tell you a story to encourage you. It is about Vladimir Kramnik, in his wilder days. He was in Amsterdam and he had been going together out with Ivan Sokolov. Two professionals! Ivan wakes up in the morning and says to himself, “I should not have done this, I want to go home.” He’s worried about Vladimir because Vladimir has to play.
                    Then Vladimir, he wakes up and stretches and says to Ivan, “Who am I playing today?” Ivan says, “You are playing Anand with black.”
                    And Vlad says, “Anand with black. Couldn’t be better.”
                    So that should be the spirit tomorrow.
                    Maxime: Yes, couldn’t be better; Vladimir in the semi-final, couldn’t be better!

++++++

Dmitry Andreikin will face Evgeny Tomashevsky in the semifinal. They call it the "Saratov encounter ": Evgeny was born in Saratov, while Dmitry studied at Saratov University, where he met his future wife.

The other semifinal can be called the Paris one: Vachier-Lagrave will compete against Kramnik: they both live in Paris.
                    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Sunday, 25th August, 2013, 04:43 PM. Reason: added second result

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                      He's dead?
                      I must have got that name wrong. I think it was someone who died in the late 90's - maybe Geller or Najdorf or Polugaevsky. Or maybe I've got it all wrong and it's Kurnusov as mentioned by Laurentiu.

The whole topic was dropped when Short asked, "When did he die, anyway?" (i.e., he's dead and therefore his opinions are of no consequence anyway. ugh.)
                      Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Sunday, 25th August, 2013, 12:21 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
                        Probably Short referred to Kurnusov, but at any rate the comment Short made is not appropriate. I do not have time to listen to the live commentary but I read what Mr. Komer posts here, and I also find Short's commentary being subpar. I would expect more substance from somebody who was at the top of the game, but it seems to me that he avoids any substance at all.
                        I have to admit that as much as I disliked his coverage yesterday, the little I saw today was much better. They were just more professional, and the jokes were less awful, and they seemed to work together better.

Comment

Russian Chess Grandmaster Dies in Road Accident

Russian chess grandmaster Igor Kurnosov died in a road accident, local chess newspaper reported Thursday. The 28-year-old Kurnosov and another pedestrian were hit by a car driven by a 20-year-old girl, according to The Chess News. The accident happened in the city of Chelyabinsk in Russia's South Urals.

In the World Chess Federation (FIDE) official rankings, Kurnosov held the 89th position among all world chess players (84th among active players) and 22nd position among the Russian players (20th among the active players). Kurnosov obtained his highest title in 2003, five years after he started to participate in official tournaments.

Lenta.ru reports that the 28-year-old Kurnosov was crossing Komsomolsk Avenue in Chelyabinsk on the night of August 8, 2013 at 2:45 a. m. local time when he was hit by a Ford Fiesta car, driven by a 20-year-old girl. The car also knocked down a 42-year-old man who was admitted to hospital in serious condition. It is reported that the driver had one year and two months of experience driving the vehicle.

The Pogonina web site writes: "Igor Kurnosov was a strong Russian grandmaster, winner of many international tournaments (Arctic Chess Challenge, Hastings Masters, Biel Open, Politiken Cup, Abu Dhabi Chess Festival, Nakhchivan Open, etc.), and was rated as high as FIDE 2680 at one point in his chess career. More importantly, he was an honest, kind, positive person; a great friend; and a chess professional who had a true passion for the game. Igor, we will be missing you a lot! Rest in peace!"

Comment

More about Nigel Short. Even Susan Polgar has commented on him.

This ongoing Chess World Cup in Norway has got me up til late and up early in the morning to check on results. And that has been thanks mostly to the wonderful video coverage hosted, at first, by the duo of GM Susan Polgar and IM Laurence Trent. Their fun and relaxed commentary made the games quite accessible. Sadly, Polgar and Trent have now been replaced by New In Chess editor Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam as well as GM Nigel Short.

I have to say, this switch in commentary pairings has really dampened the experience a bit. The latter pair are just not as good. Dirk Jan doesn't know enough chess and GM Short is too dry. Like many spectators on Twitter I'd demand a return to Polgar and Trent, but I hear the latter is en route to Bulgaria to play in an event there.

It is possible that the change in commentators was all pre-planned, but I wonder if Polgar is at least trying to grab her old seat back. Last night, she (or someone behind her official Twitter account) blurted out these tweets (recent to oldest):
                            Natalia Pogonina: Maybe the organizers weren't aware of his specific sense of humor (make fun of people, their illnesses, sex, etc.)

Susan Polgar: We must be professional, treat all participants with respect, leave personal stuff out. Basic courtesy.

Martin Blank: Not the first time Mr Short has done this, as an Englishman myself I find Nigel quite embarrassing at times.

Susan Polgar: What he says in the pub w/ friends is not my business. But not on the air about a current player in @Tromso2014

anjaader suggested that Susan "should have a sense of humour". More replies ...

Susan Polgar:

It's not about sense of humor. It's about professionalism toward #chessworldcup players. image of the org/sponsors

Total trash, not worthy of a prestigious event like @Tromso2014 #chessworldcup. I'm deeply disappointed at Nigel's poor judgement.

As a woman, I find Nigel's discussion about Vlad's former girlfriend on the air reprehensible, so unprofessional.

------------------------------------------------

Bravo for Susan Polgar. She's absolutely right.

I just hope this stuff wasn't made up. I'm looking at her tweets now. Yes, they are there.

Polgar's short shrift to Short
                            Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 26th August, 2013, 01:25 AM. Reason: question source... confirmed

Comment

Conversations on Round Five, Game Two Tromso WC

I have notes on several interesting conversations between Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam and Nigel Short from Round Five. It would be a pity to just throw them out now that it is past, so I give some of them here:

Dirk: It is Korobov vs Kramnik today. How do you rate his chances today, Nigel?
                              Nigel: Not high. Because Vladimir Kramnik is incredibly difficult to beat. He is so solid. He’s in very good form. In general, one does not win a lot of games against Vlad. Kasparov didn’t manage it once in an entire World Championship.
                              +++++++

Dirk: Kamsky and Tomashevsky played a brief draw yesterday.
                              Nigel: I know you have written a book on Linares. It is a town in Andalusia and there were many famous tournaments and matches there, organized by Luis Rentero. Luis had a bull-fighting mentality for chess. What would he have thought about that damp squib of a game yesterday?
                              Dirk: Probably he would have condemned it. He would not have seen the motivation for this draw as a real reason. Obviously it is different for a private tournament and an FIDE official one.
                              Nigel: What do you think of the argument for the Sofia Rules where you are not allowed to offer a draw at all, or before move 30?
                              Dirk: I wouldn’t be against it. But if both players are satisfied with a draw, they will find a way around it. In general, you judge a rule by the effect it has. Sofia Rules have had a positive effect on chess. Though it must be said that before these rules were in effect, there were players who said, “I never offer a draw”.
                              Julio Granda said that to me at Curaçao.
                              +++++++++++

Dirk: A tweet asks who among the remaining players has made the greatest number of moves at Tromso so far.
                              Nigel: Tomashevsky would be my guess.
                              Dirk: We would have to have someone analyze the data. He is a good candidate. He had the tie-breaker against Morozevich and in the first round against Ramirez going to sudden death and a long game against Aronian.
                              Nigel: So he is our bet.
                              Dirk: Fatigue and stress are going to play a role in the tournament, the longer you are at the board
                              Nigel: It takes a lot out of you. It is really exhausting in these matches where you are ahead and then behind and trying to equalize and then hang on.
                              Dirk: I remember you at Belfort, at the World Cup in 1988 – a very long tournament and you said to me, “I’m so tired, that I could cry.” And I thought, who is going to understand this, who doesn’t play chess.
                              [A look at the cross table for Belfort shows that Short was playing against Kasparov, Karpov, Huebner and Spassky, among others. Kasparov won with 11.5/15 and Short was eighth with 50%, 7.5/15.]
                              ++++++++

Dirk: (watching Svidler-Andreikin – a Caro-Kann) You must have spent some months on this opening; there is a Short System.
                              Nigel: The Short System has now almost become the main line of the Caro-Kann. No one plays the Panov anymore.
                              There was this Dutch player, an old guy, who has the 1 e4 c6 2 Ne2 d5 variation named after him..what is his name?
                              Later – Dirk: I must apologize to my people for not remembering Johann Barendregt, a Dutch master and psychologist. He played 2.Ne2 against the Caro-Kann. He even used it to beat Mikhail Botvinnik in the IBM tournament at Amsterdam in 1966 and thanks to the Dutch viewer, who pointed this out.
                              +++++++

Dirk: Fabiano Caruana is a strong player, who really shot up in the world rankings. Suddenly he reached briefly 2800.
                              Nigel: For five minutes (both laughing). I would be delighted to be at 2800 for even five minutes. That magical level.
                              He is a very intelligent chess player. He is very lucid and clear on what he is doing. He can articulate his ideas in a very clear way.
                              Dirk: At the New in Chess magazine, the strongest players are the best annotators, and clearest on what they are doing. Fabiano’s annotations are clear and good to follow. The same is true of Vladimir Kramnik.
                              Nigel: When he comes in here, he rattles off these variations. When he is writing, it is easier to follow.
                              Dirk: It’s often as if he is painting a masterpiece. It all fits together.
                              ++++++++

Dirk: A comment (tweeted) from Alexandra Kosteniuk, former Women’s World Champion. She says, “Tomashevsky is playing the Marshall despite Kamsky’s efforts to play the Anti-Marshall.”
                              Nigel: You have got a couple of very stubborn players insisting on their own ideas. This reminds me of a story Boris Spassky told me when he was partnering Victor Korchnoi playing Bridge one time. One of them kept bidding hearts and the other kept bidding spades and of course they went up and up and had the most horrendous mismatch, but they were so stubborn that they insisted..Boris was just doing it to goad him.
                              ++++++++

Nigel: Another tweet. Mr. Short, do you wear the orange cravat for Dirk Jan and for the other Dutch people?
                              [Nigel is wearing a bright orange tie]
                              Nigel: Yes.
                              Dirk: I am very grateful that. I apologize for not wearing a Union Jack.

[From about.com - The first time I saw the Dutch national soccer team playing in the World Cup, I wondered -- as many people do -- "What's the deal with all the fans wearing orange?" The colors of the Dutch flag are red, white and blue -- there's no orange at all. So what's the Netherlands' relationship (make that borderline obsession) with the color orange?
                              The answer: Orange is the color of the Dutch Royal Family. The lineage of the current dynasty -- the House of Oranje-Nassau -- dates back to Willem van Oranje (William of Orange). But while the color orange has royal roots in the Netherlands, today it symbolizes a broader pride in the country and in being Dutch.]
                              +++++++++

Dirk: What do you with a tournament like this? When do you book your flight home? How long do you think you are going to last. You look for a cheap ticket months in advance and if you have to change it, it will cost much, much more.
                              Nigel: Tell us about the prize fund. What are these players playing for. Football player salaries?
                              Dirk: The total prize fund is 1.6 million dollars. If you lose in the first round, you make six thousand dollars. But you are not going to take that home. 20% is deducted as a contribution to FIDE, a FIDE tax. Then, each player has to pay his own expenses – the hotel and their food. And if they like wine and beer, then they are in huge trouble here.
                              So you get $4800 and have to deduct your hotel and your airfare. The hotel is $200 a day. Someone who has been here till now, who gets knocked out today. They have been here for 16 days; that is $3200. Let’s say there air ticket was $800; that is a total is $4000. The prize they are fighting for is $35,000. The FIDE tax takes it to $28,000. There is $4000 you spend on your hotel and your flight. Most of these guys have seconds working for them. You have to pay them. Even if you see people here alone, they have people at home working for them. Boris Gelfand always works with Alexander Huzman, for example.

What do you think here Nigel? You come here and play four rounds, get knocked out and earn roughly $20,000 and go home and pay some tax. Is that a good play for a chess player?
                              Nigel: Did you ask why I am not playing here? Firstly, to come here, I have to play in the European Individual Championship, where the financial conditions are far, far worse than here. If I don’t qualify there, I am already losing money.
                              ++++++++

And now the indiscreet bit! (WK)

Nigel: Let us welcome Eva Repkova, Slovak Women’s Champion, Women’s Grandmaster and International Master.
                              Eva: A pleasure to be here. A lot of fighting chess and a lot of blunders too. [Eva talks for several minutes about the game]
                              Nigel: From the dim and distance past. You were once the girlfriend of Vladimir Kramnik?
                              Eva: That was a very long time ago. I still cheer for him.
                              Dirk: I remember in Dos Hermanas in 1994, when you had a nightly analysis session with Don Miguel Najdorf. It was deep in the night and both of you were analyzing Ivanchuk-Kramnik. It was great to see the passion you both had for the game.
                              Nigel: Another memory of mine from the past. In Riga in 1995, I was playing in the tourney there and Vladimir was playing this very strong tournament with Kasparov and others. Eva was in the Open tournament playing against the Latvian Grandmaster Evgeny Sveshnikov. Just before that Sveshnikov had been extremely rude about Kramnik’s play in a newspaper interview. He likes attacking people. It was insulting. And then Eva played against him – a French Defence and you were two connected passed pawns up and you should have killed him but he escaped with a draw.
                              Eva: I got scared at the end.
                              Nigel: I remember that Vladimir said, “When he can beat my girlfriend first, then he can make comments about me.”

See: http://chesstempo.com/gamedb/game/2747579

Nigel and Dirk more or less ignored Eva at the end of the interview as they were closing up shop for the day and were criticized for not including her more. Nigel got a lashing from Susan Polgar for introducing her as Kramnik’s old girlfriend. Some said Nigel was rude to Sveshnikov. In a previous interview, he said that there was a dead player (unnamed (Kurnosov?)) on the most recent active rating list. I don’t know what to say here! Decide for yourself.
                              Last edited by Wayne Komer; Monday, 26th August, 2013, 02:52 AM. Reason: capitalization of a title

Comment

Working...
                              X