A 2014 Toronto International??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 2014 Toronto International??

I thought this needed its own thread (so as not to hijack the 2013 TLDO thread):

An idea has surfaced of morphing the 2014 possible TLDO into a 9 round swiss, a new Toronto International. It would be a round on the Thursday evening, and 2 rounds/day from Friday to Monday. For FIDE purposes, apparently the 2 rounds/day is not a problem. This would not conflict with other GTA tournaments (except maybe a 2014 K-W LDO) or national tournaments. It theoretically would be added to the Canadian summer series of 9-round tournaments. It would be FIDE-rated, and be a norm tournament.

Rene Preotu has advised that in Ontario are only 3 FIDE IOs (international organizers) but this is not a requirement to have a norm tournament.

All tournament requirements are on the FIDE website article 1.6

Rene suggests that the biggest problem in such a tournament is the maximum opponents from own federation (limited to 5). There is a exception for this:

"The regulations regarding mix of federations as in the boxes marked * are waived if the event is a Swiss System tournament in which the competitors include at least 20 FIDE Rated players, not from the host federation, from at least 3 federations, at least 10 of whom hold GM, IM, WGM or WIM titles."

Definitely this latter is a tough condition to meet - but could we get 17 USA FIDE-rated players + 3 from 3 other federations (Cuba, for example?), with 10 title-holders among them? Would this new tournament be attractive enough to achieve this??

Sponsorship would likely need to be obtained to get a decent prize fund.

Would there be a (some?) GTA organizer willing to chance such a tournament?

What other obstacles are there that must be hurdled?

Just wondering...... (to quote I believe, Gary Ruben).

Bob A

Re: A 2014 Toronto International??

A post from the TLDO thread by Felix Dumont:

If you want a Swiss tournament that provides IM/GM norms, it will cost you quite a lot (definitely over $10 000 for this section alone). Round-robin tournaments are more affordable. American players will most likely cost you much more than GMs from other countries (as obviously $1000 in South America or Eastern Europe is worth much more than in the USA).

The Canadian Open could definitely be a good opportunity for norms (as it will be for next year), but only if organizers agree to have multiple sections.

Comment

Re : A 2014 Toronto International??

Hi Bob,
      Honestly, I think it would be extremely hard.
      You would sure be able to attract lots of players... If you had the money for it.
      You might be able to organize a round-robin tournament for about 5000$. For a Swiss tournament with *some* IM/GM norm chances, maybe $10 000. For a super-swiss like this, it's probably more toward $20 000.
      It can't be done without sponsors.

EDIT: Thanks for quoting my other post :)

Comment

Re: Re : A 2014 Toronto International??

Hi.

I think the idea of a Toronto International, norm tournament, regular or whenever possible, all that is great. As mentioned by both you and Felix, probably serious sponsorship would be required.

The idea of doing it during Labour Day is absolutely terrible in my opinion. There are always people who want to hijack healthy-turn-out events (to be seen what happens this year, but Labour Day has been the biggest tournament in Toronto for many years now). After all, it's a premium weekend and it's always easier to ride or overtake someone else's tradition. Leave the Labour Day tournament alone until it's in danger for whatever reason! New initiatives are always welcome and should be supported, but why at the expense of an existing event? Why not establishing an additional event on the calendar instead?

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
          Hi.

... As mentioned by both you and Felix, probably serious sponsorship would be required. ...
          As they say in Ottawa, "Incorrectomundo, mon Herr." Here are the steps to follow:

1. Delay the event until 2015 (because the FQE has already been awarded the 2014 CYCC).

2. Establish an organizing committee to run a 2015 CYCC to be followed immediately by a Toronto International Labour Day Open (TILDO).

3. Bid for (and be awarded) the 2015 CYCC. Hint: make sure you have lots of CFC governors on your organizing committee so that they can ignore normal conflict-of-interest considerations and vote for your CYCC.

4. Hold the CYCC and TILDO (that's TILDO) at the same venue.

5. Use the room rentals by CYCC parents to obtain substantial discounts on the playing hall rental fees for both the CYCC and the TILDO (that's TILDO).

6. Arrange for your organizers to be fairly compensated out of your cut of the CYCC action.

7. Then, in a fit of chessic enthusiasm, arrange for all of your organizers to, um, donate their CYCC fees to the TILDO (that's TILDO) thereby enabling the org. committee to obtain the required number of foreign players.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
            As they say in Ottawa, "Incorrectomundo, mon Herr." Here are the steps to follow:
            Toronto held three huge opens with sponsors and without any CYCC around.

2009 PWC Toronto Open;
            2010 Canadian Open;
            2011 Canadian Open.

Comment

I was being sarcastic.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I thought what you wrote was funny.

Probably the best way to get norms is to pay appearance fees to titled players who are well past their prime but still have their rating more or less intact. Even if you have to fly them in from nursing homes. I can't see much point in young hotshots who are at the top of their game for norm chances.

We should have a lot more GM titles in Canada. Like other nations.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  I thought what you wrote was funny.

Probably the best way to get norms is to pay appearance fees to titled players who are well past their prime but still have their rating more or less intact. Even if you have to fly them in from nursing homes. I can't see much point in young hotshots who are at the top of their game for norm chances.

We should have a lot more GM titles in Canada. Like other nations.
                  Wise words, which so few Canadian organisers have taken into account in the past.

Comment

Working...
                  X