Elite Championship of Quebec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elite Championship of Quebec

I was reading Aman Hambleton's blog last night. Very interesting stuff. I noticed he won the Elite Championship of Quebec last year! Quite an accomplishment!

Also, according to his blog the prizes were: "The prizes announced beforehand were quite substantial, at $2,000 first place, $1,250 second place, and $750 for third."

That seems like quite a bit of money. Why are the prizes only: "Section A Élite (2000+) : 1 000 $, 500 $, 300 $" this year?

Quite a big difference, no?

Re: Elite Championship of Quebec

Most likely a lost of a sponsor.

Comment

Re : Re: Elite Championship of Quebec

I'm not in charge of this tournament, but there was indeed the loss of a sponsor. Also, the rooms are no longer free, which makes quite a difference. Also, no need to say that even with the sponsors, the tournament cost a lot, so this is probably why executive decided to reduce the prize fund.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Elite Championship of Quebec

Good point Dumont. Slightly odd to have the same prize fund as the Montreal Open which is a five round tournament while the Elite Championship is a seven round tournament.

Also, the "Elite Championship" sounds more... well... "elite".

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          I'm not in charge of this tournament, but there was indeed the loss of a sponsor.
          Interesting. Last year when the CFC-FQE agreement was forced down our throat, we were told that the agreement would help find sponsors... Apparently it has little effect in keeping them...

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Elite Championship of Quebec

Actually, the agreement did help a lot (obviously not all sponsors will give their money indefinitely). There should be an announcement soon about the 2014 Canadian Open and CYCC and how the CFC-FQE agreement allowed the FQE to offer unprecedented playing conditions to players from both Quebec and the rest of Canada :)

Comment

Taken from the FQE site

La Fédération québécoise des échecs est heureuse d'annoncer que la compagnie Lassonde et sa marque déposée, Jus Oasis, commandite le Tour du Québec Oasis pour une cinquième année. La commandite de 10 000 $ est associée à la série de 10 tournois du Tour du Québec réunies sous forme Grand Prix

This sponsorship alone more than covers the amount paid by the FQE to the CFC....

Comment

Surely it is obvious by now to any fair-minded person that the CFC FQE agreement has worked well for bot parties and, above all, for Canadian (including Quebecois) chessplayers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                  Surely it is obvious by now to any fair-minded person that the CFC FQE agreement has worked well for bot parties and, above all, for Canadian (including Quebecois) chessplayers.
                  I think the answer to that depends on a persons politics.

The CCCA didn't have these problems over the decades. When I was doing the memberships, the organization grew to 700 and roughly one third of the membership was from Quebec. It worked well for us.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                  X