Swiss Sys Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss Sys Question

I finished entering a small tournament into Swiss Sys and am trying to email it to the CFC. For some reason the files (.ctr and .tmf) are locked(?) and I cannot email them. Did I miss a step somewhere? Apologies if this question is too general.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Re: Swiss Sys Question

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    I finished entering a small tournament into Swiss Sys and am trying to email it to the CFC. For some reason the files (.ctr and .tmf) are locked(?) and I cannot email them. Did I miss a step somewhere? Apologies if this question is too general.
    Did you try to close the Swiss Sys before sending files?

Comment

Hopefully that will solve the problem that Tom is having :).

Swiss Sys is what we use at the CMA also. I was looking at the FIDE (that 4 letter word again) site and I saw the following:

Approved Programs
      The following programs have been approved by the FIDE Swiss Pairing Program Commission for use in FIDE rated events.

SWISS MASTER (Koninklijke Nederlandse Schaakbond NED) Dutch System
      SWISS MANAGER (Heinz Herzog AUT) Dutch System
      WINSWISS (Franz-Josef Weber GER) Dutch System
      VEGA (Luigi Forlano ITA) Dubov System/ Dutch System
      TURNERING SERVICE (Harald Heggelund NOR) Dutch System
      Tournament Director (Neil Hayward ENG) Dutch System

Can anyone update me on what this is all about?

Thanks

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Did you try to close the Swiss Sys before sending files?
        Sadly that was not the problem, though thanks for the suggestion. When you enter the data and press "Ratings Report for CFC" and then get the message "Ratings Report Saved" followed by the location of the .ctr and .tms files with the specified path, shouldn't the files be in that location? Somehow when I try to find it via Windows, there is no record of either file, though when I look at it via Swiss Sys it is there in all its glory. Very confusing!
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          Hopefully that will solve the problem that Tom is having :).

Swiss Sys is what we use at the CMA also. I was looking at the FIDE (that 4 letter word again) site and I saw the following:

Approved Programs
          The following programs have been approved by the FIDE Swiss Pairing Program Commission for use in FIDE rated events.

SWISS MASTER (Koninklijke Nederlandse Schaakbond NED) Dutch System
          SWISS MANAGER (Heinz Herzog AUT) Dutch System
          WINSWISS (Franz-Josef Weber GER) Dutch System
          VEGA (Luigi Forlano ITA) Dubov System/ Dutch System
          TURNERING SERVICE (Harald Heggelund NOR) Dutch System
          Tournament Director (Neil Hayward ENG) Dutch System

Can anyone update me on what this is all about?

Thanks

Larry
          Hi Larry,

SwissSys has never been, as far as I know, on that above list. I think it simply means it's not officially recognized by FIDE. The defaults when starting a tournament, on SwissSys, are set for many USCF rules and standards. Presumably SwissSys is an American program. However, the defaults can be changed to FIDE at the start of the tournament, and most organizers in Canada have submitted files through CFC, to FIDE and tournaments were rated. Some organizers are now starting to use Swiss Manager, which is now also provided by CFC (thanks Mr. Preotu for being a pioneer on this) and hopefully this will be the new trend moving forward, Swiss Manager.

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
            Hi Larry,

SwissSys has never been, as far as I know, on that above list. I think it simply means it's not officially recognized by FIDE. The defaults when starting a tournament, on SwissSys, are set for many USCF rules and standards. Presumably SwissSys is an American program. However, the defaults can be changed to FIDE at the start of the tournament, and most organizers in Canada have submitted files through CFC, to FIDE and tournaments were rated. Some organizers are now starting to use Swiss Manager, which is now also provided by CFC (thanks Mr. Preotu for being a pioneer on this) and hopefully this will be the new trend moving forward, Swiss Manager.

Alex F.
            Hi Alex...Thanks! I had the same gut feeling....so I will direct the CMA towards Swiss Manager in the future (this may take a little time). Rene has been an incredible resource for us and the CFC...I would give him 2013 "Volunteer of the Year Award"

hands down!

Silly question...has Hugh Brodie ever received this award? He has been an incredible resource...the FQE has owned his data base...duh! ...

Larry
            Larry

Comment

Re : Re: Swiss Sys Question

I remember Hugh received this award at the 2008 CO in Montreal.
              Regarding Swiss Manager, the big advantage is that the results are displayed online on Chess-Results.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                Hi Larry,

Alex F.
                For "beginners" one of the problem with Swiss-Manager is entering the byes. When you setup the tournament make sure you go in the Other tab and select the first 3 options.

A "bye" in Swiss-Manager is only when you have an odd number of players. You can force it from the Pairing menu using "Give player bye" option. To give a 1/2 point "advanced bye" (TDs are doing this in Canada but not too much in Europe) you have to use the "Exclude Player ..." option from the same Pairing menu and later enter the 1/2 point as a result for that round. That's why you have to select "Enter results for excluded players/teams" in the Other tab of the tournament. If you have other questions regarding Swiss-Manager you can email me: renepreotu at gmail dot com

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  Hi Alex...Thanks! I had the same gut feeling....so I will direct the CMA towards Swiss Manager in the future (this may take a little time).
                  In my opinion, for CMA tournaments is much easier to use SwissSys than Swiss-Manager. In SwissSys you can setup a tournament with multiple sections in one instance (window). In Swiss-Manager you have to start a new instance (window) for every section you want to add. If you have 12 sections (one for each grade in CMA tournaments) you'll have to run Swiss-Manager 12 times (windows).

Comment

Sadly that was not the problem, though thanks for the suggestion. When you enter the data and press "Ratings Report for CFC" and then get the message "Ratings Report Saved" followed by the location of the .ctr and .tms files with the specified path, shouldn't the files be in that location? Somehow when I try to find it via Windows, there is no record of either file, though when I look at it via Swiss Sys it is there in all its glory. Very confusing!
                    I've had this problem, too, with SwissSys creating locked or hidden files. I think I was able to "Save As" or something and find the new versions - or search for hidden files and find the old ones; I forget which.
                    Marcus Wilker
                    Annex Chess Club
                    Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
                      I've had this problem, too, with SwissSys creating locked or hidden files. I think I was able to "Save As" or something and find the new versions - or search for hidden files and find the old ones; I forget which.
                      ah, now I understand Tom's question. I believe I have the same problem.
                      I don't recall having this problem before, but when I got my new laptop last year, the trouble started.
                      When I saved those cfc swisssys files onto the laptop anywhere, I had trouble finding them. It took some extra steps somehow, files were hidden. But then I discovered that saving the files onto a flash drive instead solved the problem.
                      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 9th September, 2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

As others have mentioned, Tom, I think the problem is that the default location of the two files won't work, so you save them in a directory somewhere else, and I think that will then be your default.

I assume you have your access key/code.

Comment

Thanks for the information folks, it helped me find a solution. :-) It still didn't work when I tried saving it somewhere else so I tried creating a file folder called "F**king Swiss Sys" and voila for some reason the program liked making it visible there. I thought I would pass this along in case someone else has the same problems.

Comment

Working...
                          X