Richard Wang of Canada ranked 32nd amongst 117 participants at the 2013 World Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Wang of Canada ranked 32nd amongst 117 participants at the 2013 World Junior

The tournament begins on Sept 13.

Richard qualified for this event by winning the Canadian Junior (over the Xmas holidays) which was organized and sponsored by the Chess'n Math Association, Canada's National Scholastic Chess Organization. In the strongest field we have seen in decades...he showed his true colours! We are very proud of him...and now let's follow his results live at: http://wjcc2013.tsf.org.tr/

Since I am a betting man...and I think he will do better than his initial ranking ...you can contact me at bevand at chess-math dot org and I am sure we can have some fun ($5 bets only...unless...you want to give odds lol)... afterall this is suppose to be fun :) Bets have to be confirmed by Sept 11 at 10 pm...all time zones allowed :). You require a confirmation e-mail for this to happen :).

BTW...it looks like we will not be organizing the next Canadian Junior...Fred McKim has told me that the CFC will have no problem finding an organizer for the spring of 2014 (Spring is our crazy season at the CMA hence we are happy to pass the flame to others).

So we are looking at organizing the event again over the Xmas holidays 2014-15...provided we get approval from the CFC. We will submit a bid once we know what is happening in 2014.

Larry

Re : Richard Wang of Canada ranked 32nd amongst 117 participants at the 2013 World Ju

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    BTW...it looks like we will not be organizing the next Canadian Junior...Fred McKim has told me that the CFC will have no problem finding an organizer for the spring of 2014 (Spring is our crazy season at the CMA hence we are happy to pass the flame to others).
    That's surprising. I was just told the complete opposite...

Comment

Re: Re : Richard Wang of Canada ranked 32nd amongst 117 participants at the 2013 Worl

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post

LOL...Okay what did I miss here? :)

Comment

Re: Richard Wang of Canada ranked 32nd amongst 117 participants at the 2013 World Jun

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        The tournament begins on Sept 13.

Richard qualified for this event by winning the Canadian Junior (over the Xmas holidays) which was organized and sponsored by the Chess'n Math Association, Canada's National Scholastic Chess Organization. In the strongest field we have seen in decades...he showed his true colours! We are very proud of him...and now let's follow his results live at: http://wjcc2013.tsf.org.tr/

Larry
        CMA flew Richard in a day early (and picked up the extra hotel cost) so he could be ready for the big event. Tournament starts tomorrow...here is the souvenir program for the event: http://www.tsf.org.tr/images/stories...nfo/index.html

Comment

First e-mail received from Kocaeli, Turkey

Subject: Greetings from Kocaeli
          Hi Larry,

Richard and I arrived at TH NESS hotel in the late afternoon of Sept. 11. The travel is quite smooth. The drive from Istanbul airport to TH NESS hotel at Kocaeli took us two and half an hour. Istanbul is the world second biggest city and it took us an hour to get out of the city. The hotel is located at the east end of the Marmara Sea. We can see the Sea from our window, but along the coast are mostly the Ports for shipping goods. The hotel is at the edge of the city. Both the hotel and the room is quite nice. The food is fine too. What we like most is that the playing hall is within the hotel.

The first game will start this afternoon at 3 pm following the opening ceremony at 2 pm. The pairing will be out this morning and Richard is in a good spirit. I will update you with the progress after first round, possibly with some photos.

Thanks again for the Support from you, CMA and CFC.
          Regards,
          Zhixiang (Richard's Dad)

Comment

Re: Re : Richard Wang of Canada ranked 32nd amongst 117 participants at the 2013 Worl

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
            For the record, my exact comment to Larry was "I'm sure we'll find someone, but this Christmas thing for the WYCC is a one-time thing so you would have a whole 15 months to organize the 2015 CJ, if that interests you."

Comment

First round pairings are up...

Ten Grandmasters and 25 International Masters make up this 118 player field. Canadian IM Richard Wang will be playing against an Expert from Turkey. Full pairings for the first round can be found at:

http://wjcc2013.tsf.org.tr/en/compon...ileview&kid=12

Comment

Re: First round pairings are up...

LIVE GAMES AT>>>>>>>>>
                http://chessbomb.com/site/

Comment

Wesley So was listed on the top of the pre-reg list. Though he is not playing. :/

Some reasons were given here: http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php/...-juniors-chess
                  Sound like relationships with the Philippine federation were shattered.

Comment

And for those in the mood for a little Friday morning rhyme:

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/spo...ournament.html

Comment

Re: Richard Wang of Canada ranked 32nd amongst 117 participants at the 2013 World Jun

Speaking of rhyming names, here are some from the 2013 CYCC (probably don't all rhyme when you use the correct Chinese pronunciations):

Du, Fu, Ju, Qu, Su, Wu, Xu, Zhou, Zhu.
                      Bai, Cai Dai.
                      Ding, Jing, Ming.
                      Bui, Hui.
                      Lo, Mo (Wesley So wasn't there).
                      Li, Shi, Xie, Ye, Yie.
                      Tang, Wang, Yang, Zhang.
                      Cao, Gao, Qiao, Tao, Xiao, Zhao.

Comment

I noted Richard won his first game handily. Good start and keep going!

Comment

Here is Richard's Rd.1 game:

[Event "WJCC"]
                          [Site "Turkey"]
                          [Date "2013.09.13"]
                          [Round "1"]
                          [White "Wang, Richard"]
                          [Black "Karaokcu, Erkin"]
                          [Result "1-0"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 3. c4 Bg7 4. Nc3 d5 5. cxd5 Nxd5 6. e4 Nxc3 7. bxc3 c5 8. Rb1 O-O 9. Be2 b6 10. O-O Bb7 11. d5 Bxc3 12. Bc4 Qd6 13. Bh6 Nd7 14. Bxf8 Rxf8 15. Qb3 Bg7 16. Rfe1 Re8 17. Rbd1 Ne5 18. Nxe5 Bxe5 19. g3 Bd4 20. Qa4 Ra8 21. Ba6 Qc7 22. Re2 Qc8 23. Rc2 Bg7 24. Bf1 a6 25. f4 e6 26. dxe6 Qxe6 27. e5 Bf8 28. Qd7 Bc6 29. Qxe6 fxe6 30. Bg2 Bxg2 31. Kxg2 b5 32. Rcd2 c4 33. Rd8 Ra7 34. R1d7 Rxd7 35. Rxd7 Bc5 36. Rc7 Bd4 37. Kf3 a5 38. Ke4 Bb2 39. Rc5 1-0

Comment

2nd e-mail from Turkey

Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting the information in Chess-talk, As you have already known that the Chess game is live. I am positively surprised that 45 out of 59 boards are live broadcasted.

In the final list, Richard is ranked 30 out of 118 players. He played white against a Turkish player of 2014 rating. The game went smoothly. Richard is up in exchange in the early game and gradually accumulated his advantage.

As there were quite a few upset in the board above Richard in round 1, Richard will again play a lower rated player of 2005 rating from Turkey.

Attached are three pictures.

Regards,
                            Zhixiang

(Larry: I have no idea how to put the pics on ChessTalk...hopefully we will get them up here later today)

Comment

Re: 2nd e-mail from Turkey

The three pix from Dr. Zhixiang (Richard's father)

:)

Francis
                              Last edited by Francis Rodriguez; Saturday, 14th September, 2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X