Richard Wang of Canada ranked 32nd amongst 117 participants at the 2013 World Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2nd e-mail from Turkey

Thanks Francis!

Here is the 3rd e-mail from Turkey:

Hi Larry,

Both Richard and I are very disappointed with the second round lose. Richard made an inferior move at the opening to avoid changing Queen. After a few inaccurate move and a blunder, he is down 3 points. But he caught a blunder of his opponent and worked back to equal with a strong attack. Then he made a blunder under time pressure (his opponent is also short of time but managed better) to lost the game.

Hope this is a wake-up call for him and he will be well prepared for each and every game in the next 11 rounds.

Regards,
    Zhixiang

Here is Richard's 3rd round pairing. I believe the game is now underway.

29 IM WANG RICHARD 2430 CAN 1 1 DOCENA JERAD 2227 PHI

Larry

Comment

Re: 2nd e-mail from Turkey

Richard is clearly off to a most inauspicious start at the WJCC 2013. In the 3rd game to finish at ChessBomb this morning, a 23-move miniature, Richard lost his 3rd consecutive game to a much lower rated opponent. Very uncharacteristic of Richard, to be sure. Hopefully, Caissa will start to shine on Richard for all the remaining rounds.

Comment

no players from USA?

I don't see any players from the USA at the WJCC !?

Am I just overlooking them? are they boycotting?

Comment

Re: no players from USA?

Probably an unofficial boycott due to the dates. Looks like many nations missing. Turkey has 30 or more entrants to make it look successful.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: no players from USA?

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
            I don't see any players from the USA at the WJCC !?

Am I just overlooking them? are they boycotting?
            I think the main reason was the original location of the tournament. The organizers moved the tournament from Hatay (only few kilometers from the Syrian border) 8 days before the starting date and lots of federation didn't have enough time to send a team.
            Is very expensive to book a flight on such a short notice.
            Last edited by Rene Preotu; Monday, 16th September, 2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Round 5 will be the start of the comeback!

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
              Richard is clearly off to a most inauspicious start at the WJCC 2013. In the 3rd game to finish at ChessBomb this morning, a 23-move miniature, Richard lost his 3rd consecutive game to a much lower rated opponent. Very uncharacteristic of Richard, to be sure. Hopefully, Caissa will start to shine on Richard for all the remaining rounds.
              Today:

47 IM WANG RICHARD 2430 CAN 1 1 KARABAYIR MUSTAFA YILMAZ 1926 TUR

Comment

Re: Round 5 will be the start of the comeback!

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                Today:

47 IM WANG RICHARD 2430 CAN 1 1 KARABAYIR MUSTAFA YILMAZ 1926 TUR
                Richard did indeed win his 5th round game, so he now stands at 2/5 - it is uphill, but best of luck!
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Anyone have the game?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    Richard did indeed win his 5th round game, so he now stands at 2/5 - it is uphill, but best of luck!
                    Thanks Kerry!

I just received this e-mail from Richard's Dad:

Hi Larry,

As you know Richard lost his round 4 game to have a three consecutive loss against lower rated players. This is clear his worst performance in his chess history. He himself did not know how he played the game. The important thing is that Richard can get back to his normal playing level. He did play normally and won the 5th game today. Tomorrow he will play at board 39 against a UZB player of 2070 rating.

Thanks,

Zhixiang

I wrote back:

Tell Richard we believe in him and we are his fans!

Glad he is back on track!

Larry

Comment

Got the game - the pgn table on the official site is right up to date.

Bob

Comment

I'm afraid Richard is not quite back on track as yet. He had another quick, 24-move, miniature loss to a player spotting Richard 360 points. Chess math says these type of opponents should only score roughly 1/20 against a player of Rickard's ilk, so for Richard to now sit at 2/6 must have the great father of probability, Blaise Pascal, truly rolling in his grave.

Comment

I'm afraid Richard is not quite back on track as yet. He had another quick, 24-move, miniature loss to a player spotting Richard 360 points. Chess math says these type of opponents should only score roughly 1/20 against a player of Rickard's ilk, so for Richard to now sit at 2/6 must have the great father of probability, Blaise Pascal, truly rolling in his grave.
                          I doubt that he (or anyone in that tournament) would be naive enough to underestimate anyone...
                          I am sure the ratings of many of those players are way lower than their actual playing strength. It
                          could simply be that he has encountered several players who are far better than their rating.

Comment

I was just looking at that game on Chessbomb (via Susan Polgar's blog) and the final White move (Qd5+) is marked as a "weak move" by the automatic Houdini analysis and indeed is a huge blunder... however, the result shows as 1-0 (!) The scores are not yet posted on the tournament website, so perhaps there was a recording error? Will have to see.

Comment

Maybe white moved and then resigned before black could reply. Black is clearly winning in that position.

A couple of my ICCF games are in the databases with the wrong winner for that reason.

There seems to be an assumption that whoever moves last wins.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                                I am sure the ratings of many of those players are way lower than their actual playing strength. It
                                could simply be that he has encountered several players who are far better than their rating.
                                Although possible, such a likelihood is extremely improbable. Moreover, the results from the other games of the 4 lower rated players who beat Richard do not reflect any great under valuing of their respective FIDE ratings. The 4 are a collective 8/20 against other opponents, currently sitting at 3.5, 3.0, 3.0, and 2.5 after 6 rounds (2.5, 2.0, 2.0, and 1.5 out of 5 if you subtract the point from Richard).

Comment

Working...
                                X