Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: True Marxism vs Corrupted Communism

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
    Well, you are just factually wrong there.......

No matter how you spin it, you are your own worst enemy.

To put the hammer down on Kevin for making 'absolute' claims based on spiritual experiences, then to say this: "I think there is a reality, but that does not imply any claim to be able to dictate exactly what that reality is"... as if the phrase 'I think' exonerates you from any such absolute claim... and then you add the 'but' clause to try and totally clear yourself.... LOL it is easy to see through that lame attempt.

Where is YOUR evidence of this reality you are so sure of? What exactly is 'evidence'? Isn't your entire life a 'spiritual experience'? Is there something solid you can take with you?

And to make it clear, I didn't bring up NDE's assuming Kevin was referring to such in his comments. I brought them up as an example of spiritual experience. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
      Where is YOUR evidence of this reality you are so sure of?
      Didn't Descarte answer this?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
        No matter how you spin it, you are your own worst enemy.

To put the hammer down on Kevin for making 'absolute' claims based on spiritual experiences, then to say this: "I think there is a reality, but that does not imply any claim to be able to dictate exactly what that reality is"...
        You are just being silly. When I say something is "true" I mean only that it seems to me that it is supported by the evidence to the point that it would be silly to doubt it. That is NOT a claim of absolute authority. I can always be wrong about anything.

I am willing to bet my life gravity behaves according to "laws" laid out by Einstein. Gravity is "true" because we experience it's effects all the time. Einstein's formulation is "true" because it has been supported by experience and experiment over the hundred plus years since it was introduced. I am not going to preface any uncontroversial statement of observable fact with a prefix saying that I only accept this as a fact provisionally because I don't have the time to waste on what should be obvious. Any demand that I do so is just silly.

Comment

I can always be wrong about anything.
          Is the exact opposite also correct?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

You are just being silly. When I say something is "true" I mean only that it seems to me that it is supported by the evidence to the point that it would be silly to doubt it. That is NOT a claim of absolute authority. I can always be wrong about anything.
            Then please explain what it is about Kevin's statements that constitute a claim of 'absolute authority'. Keep in mind that after writing "As someone who has had personal spiritual experiences, I know for a fact that philosophical materialsm doesn't apply to reality" he added "Proving it is another matter." I think that's the part you missed.

I am willing to bet my life gravity behaves according to "laws" laid out by Einstein. Gravity is "true" because we experience it's effects all the time. Einstein's formulation is "true" because it has been supported by experience and experiment over the hundred plus years since it was introduced.
            You're an old man, you'd bet your life on a Canadian Closed in 2015 if the payoff was a free night in Las Vegas. Meanwhile, the "experience and experiment" you put on a pedestal is nothing more than "spiritual experience". Try and prove otherwise.

I am not going to preface any uncontroversial statement of observable fact with a prefix saying that I only accept this as a fact provisionally because I don't have the time to waste on what should be obvious. Any demand that I do so is just silly.
            To say this physical universe is 'real' is not an 'uncontroversial statement of observable fact.' All the people that agree with you might be imagined by you. DIDN'T YOU HEAR THAT AN ENTIRE SEASON OF A FAMOUS TV SHOW WAS A DREAM?
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
            X