X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess Canada Webzine

I agree with Jean Hebert.
    There are a lot of holes.

They could have at least put in some mocked entries to give us an idea of what was going to happen. Maybe they could approach Jean to do some French articles as long as they add a French posting. My french is not perfect but I still get Jean's stuff and yes it is very good if not excellent. I'm sure there are other French writers who could send in some stuff as well.

Note to CFC members if you have an email address send it to Vincent chow.
    Otherwise you cannot access the webzine properly.

How about those non-computer Members, what will they do about them.
    Better snail mail them a password so they can go to the library to see the webzine.
    The CFC had good intentions but I think they should have used better judgment in launching an incomplete product.

The end of an era was very funny and I ejoyed that.

I do think Larry is correct that give them some time but 4 years may put the CFC under lol.
    John R. Brown

Comment

Re: Give the runner a chance!

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      How many times I have visited a game store within weeks of it opening...my reaction...sheesh...these guys have very little to offer....I went back a year later and the shelves were full of goodies...
      Larry
      That's what I call being "positive" to death... As I have often written about different chess matters, I do hope that this time I will be proven dead wrong, and that the CFC will flourish thanks to this webzine. But such occurences have not happen too often in the last two or three decades... If the "store" ever fills up with goodies (which at best seems unlikely), the customers will by then be long gone and the store will have to close once again, as it did not long ago... The concept has no potential and time or goodies will not arrange that. Chess players do not surf the net anymore, they use a chess server and visit a couple of favorites sites (the super sites...), when time allows. The CFC webzine will go unnoticed like hundreds if not thousands of chess sites, all those that are any less than excellent. Direct and frequent marketing is needed, and this is done through e-mail boxes, not through passive websites and prayers that targets only regular tournament players.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        Direct and frequent marketing is needed, and this is done through e-mail boxes, not through passive websites and prayers that targets only regular tournament players.
        If it is not super secret: how many readers has your weekly?

Comment

Hebert's website has a Daily Pageview = 118, according to http://www.websiteoutlook.com/

Comment

Test of the Motivation of the Critics...

There is a difference between constructive criticism and just pessimistic, negative criticism. I would be very interested to see where people stand.

If the critics motivation is the former, than please submit an article of your own to the webzine to improve it.

If it is the latter, then you really are not interested in promoting chess in Canada to all players. So why are you interested in chess at all; please explain. Do you even enjoy playing? How did you become so bitter?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Chess Canada Webzine

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
              There doesn't seem to be a way to print out that article, properly paginated. That has always been a weakness of the web: even crummy old WordStar had dot commands for pagination, but html had nothing, no page smarts. That's one reason PDF continues to be popular.
              Actually CSS properly used makes it perfectly possible. Alas a certain stupid browser doesn't support the standard correctly and web designers pretty well uniformly ignore it. But I know it can be done because I've done it fairly often as long as you ignore the results in that certain stupid stupid browser.

Comment

Hi Paul;
                In the good Ol' days when we had a paper magazine I used to submit reports with my cross tables and most made it to the magazine.
                That was until Robert Hamilton took over as Editor. It seemed that he was more concerned with International reports than local reports so I stopped reporting with my cross tables. I'll start reporting again with my next cross table but I'm still not sure it will get a posting on the Webzine.
                I have not got any tourneys planned so you'll have to wait. Hopefully others can send reports of local events to build my faith in this new Webzine.
                John R. Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  If it is not super secret: how many readers has your weekly?
                  Not secret at all. After 47 weeks, a little over 1200. And it is in french. How many readers would a similar publication have if in english ? 5,000 ?, 10, 000, 20,000 ? Would this be interesting for advertizers and tournament organizers ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                    Hebert's website has a Daily Pageview = 118, according to http://www.websiteoutlook.com/
                    Thanks for the info! That's amazingly high considering that this "website! is simply meant to collect names and e-mail adresses. People go there once to register and normally never returns. The archive page is a bit different but not meant to attract much traffic either.

Comment

Re: Test of the Motivation of the Critics...

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                      There is a difference between constructive criticism and just pessimistic, negative criticism.
                      Hopefully you will some day be able to see that difference.

Comment

Lawrence Day is a legend and hero in Canadian chess and I feel honoured to be mentioned in the same paragraph.

The webzine is taking baby steps. Rome wasn't built in a day.
                        So, what does it offer? Why should I read this stuff? It is a voice of the chess community and common player as well as our best players. It tells something of the history of chess in Canada. It has reports from top players.

Some pages have nothing, yet. Is it better not to have the page or to have it blank and showing what we would like to give readers in the future? I put them in.

I am the editor, more just a publisher actually, and I try not to be the reporter. I hope to receive contributions by tournament directors on their tournaments and articles from everyone. Kevin Spraggett has agreed to report on the tournament in Sevilla played at the end of this month.

Thank you to everyone who contributed!
                        Vincent Chow (VChow)

Comment

Re: Test of the Motivation of the Critics...

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                          There is a difference between constructive criticism and just pessimistic, negative criticism. I would be very interested to see where people stand.

If the critics motivation is the former, than please submit an article of your own to the webzine to improve it.
                          Why? The CFC doesn't pay us; we pay the CFC. Maybe if the food at your grocery store is randomly stocked, you should organise the shelves. If the police fail to catch someone who has stolen from your home, you should hunt him down yourself. Did the doctor not set your broken leg properly? Quit complaining and set it yourself.

Think before you post.
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Why not ?

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                            Why? The CFC doesn't pay us; we pay the CFC. Maybe if the food at your grocery store is randomly stocked, you should organise the shelves. If the police fail to catch someone who has stolen from your home, you should hunt him down yourself. Did the doctor not set your broken leg properly? Quit complaining and set it yourself.

Think before you post.
                            Ask not what the CFC can do for you, ask what you can do for the CFC !!;);)

But seriously Ben, why not submit an article for the webzine? The CFC will be providing regular articles from top Canadians, but our budget is limited. We certainly cannot afford an army of reporters to cover chess events across this vast nation. We need the cooperation of the membership.

Our strength will be local Canadian chess news. I have often heard complaints that the printed magazine neglected local news in favour of international events. We don't have the same content constraints as before. Send it in, we will post it. (edited for language etc).

The webzine has great potential if it is supported enthusiastically by the membership. It won't happen overnight, but let's keep our sights high.;)

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                              Hi Paul;
                              In the good Ol' days when we had a paper magazine I used to submit reports with my cross tables and most made it to the magazine.
                              That was until Robert Hamilton took over as Editor. It seemed that he was more concerned with International reports than local reports so I stopped reporting with my cross tables. I'll start reporting again with my next cross table but I'm still not sure it will get a posting on the Webzine.
                              I have not got any tourneys planned so you'll have to wait. Hopefully others can send reports of local events to build my faith in this new Webzine.
                              John R. Brown
                              Send them in John. I am thinking of have some awards for best (free) contributions. You could win a pulitzer (CFC version).;)

Comment

Re: Chess Canada Webzine crosstables

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                                Send them in John. I am thinking of have some awards for best (free) contributions. You could win a pulitzer (CFC version).;)
                                If the webzine is to be updated often, I would hope to see a list of links to crosstables of all of the events rated in that time period.

Comment

Working...
                                X