Pacey's NHL hockey picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacey's NHL hockey picks

I thought I'd re-post my NHL predictions for this season in a new thread, from the following link (see for further discussion):

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...take#post72916

On the NHL front, here's how I see the eastern Canadian teams doing in 2013-14... :

The Leafs will not even make the playoffs, now that the season will go the full schedule. Their last minute collapse against the Bruins in the spring convinced me they still have not lost their amazingly consistent (and heartbreaking) talent for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I'm still glad I angrily dumped them as my team after 40+ years as a fan.

The Senators, my second choice as a favourite team to root for, are doomed to go nowhere without Alfredsson, though they may just make the playoffs.

My favourite team to root for nowadays, the Canadiens (aka the Smurfs) will hopefully have a better physical presence, assuming they pick up some bigger players. They will make the playoffs regardless.

I'll also throw in that New Jersey is bound for Hades again, as far as any post season appearance goes.

I'm still sticking with the above predictions, even though the earliest part of the season hasn't yet fully indicated that they may be spot on.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 10th October, 2013, 07:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Pacey's NHL hockey picks

I kind of lost interest in hockey after the lockout last season and haven't got back into it yet. Pro basketball starts in about a month.

There's a rookie who has picked up 6 goals in this first three games. Two in his second game and four in his third game. I forget his name but wonder if he can keep scoring goals even at a lesser pace.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      I kind of lost interest in hockey after the lockout last season and haven't got back into it yet. Pro basketball starts in about a month.

There's a rookie who has picked up 6 goals in this first three games. Two in his second game and four in his third game. I forget his name but wonder if he can keep scoring goals even at a lesser pace.
      Tomas Hertl on San Jose Sharks:

http://www.sfgate.com/sharks/article...-2-4880482.php
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Yes. He's the one! If this is a sample of what's to come it will be exciting to watch him. I don't think he's turned 20 yet. If this was chess they'd check for a computer in his skates. ;)

Eller for Montreal is also doing well even though he's listed as third line and hasn't been getting a large number of minutes.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
          I thought I'd re-post my NHL predictions for this season in a new thread, from the following link (see for further discussion):

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...take#post72916

On the NHL front, here's how I see the eastern Canadian teams doing in 2013-14... :

The Leafs will not even make the playoffs, now that the season will go the full schedule. Their last minute collapse against the Bruins in the spring convinced me they still have not lost their amazingly consistent (and heartbreaking) talent for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I'm still glad I angrily dumped them as my team after 40+ years as a fan.

The Senators, my second choice as a favourite team to root for, are doomed to go nowhere without Alfredsson, though they may just make the playoffs.

My favourite team to root for nowadays, the Canadiens (aka the Smurfs) will hopefully have a better physical presence, assuming they pick up some bigger players. They will make the playoffs regardless.

I'll also throw in that New Jersey is bound for Hades again, as far as any post season appearance goes.

I'm still sticking with the above predictions, even though the earliest part of the season hasn't yet fully indicated that they may be spot on.
          As I said before, the Leafs are an extremely well put together team and the first few games have only strengthened that notion. Despite their new star forward being suspended for ten games, they are 3-1 with significant contributions from pretty much every other acquired player. This team will be good for at least 3-4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
            Despite their new star forward being suspended for ten games
            Star forward!! Of course. That guy who scored more than 32 points that one time...

Hilarious (but not at all surprising) that people are lauding the Leafs again this year. Yes, a team that was 28th in Fenwick Close last year and that dumps their best two-way forward to make room for a guy who can hardly skate has great chances to repeat their fluke...

Pit*
            NYI*
            NYR*
            CBJ*
            NJD*
            Was
            Phi
            Car

Bos*
            Ott*
            Det*
            Mtl
            Tor
            Fla
            TBL
            Buf

Van*
            LAK*
            SJS*
            Ana*
            Edm
            Phx
            Cgy

Chi*
            Stl*
            Min*
            Nsh*
            Dal
            Wpg
            Col

SJS beats Det for the Cup
            Last edited by Ben Daswani; Thursday, 10th October, 2013, 07:58 PM.
            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Fwiw, for tonight I'm calling for Calgary to beat New Jersey by at least 2 goals. Pittsburg will beat Florida too, slightly improving Montreal's chances (not that I've the checked the score yet).

I'm also calling for the Leafs to have a horrendous record in November, as I seem to recall they often have had in my lifetime.
              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 11th October, 2013, 09:23 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I'm also calling for the Leafs to have a horrendous record in November, as I seem to recall they often have had in my lifetime.
                I'm not a big believer in superstition for picking sports contests. So I looked at their November schedule, and took into account how well their goalie is playing and that Clarkson will be back. They'll do very well in November.
                Last edited by Duncan Smith; Saturday, 12th October, 2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I highly doubt that the Pittsburgh division will get two wildcards in any scenario. NYI*/NYR*/CBJ*/NJD* : Toronto will finish ahead of at least
                  two of those teams and probably all 4.
                  Last edited by Duncan Smith; Saturday, 12th October, 2013, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I'm not a big believer in superstition for picking sports contests. So I looked at their November schedule, and took into account how well their goalie is playing and that Clarkson will be back. They'll do very well in November.
                    Once all the NHL teams have warmed up after the exhibition season and October, and all the Leaf weaknesses are well known to scouts, the Leafs often prove to be dead ducks come November. Superstition or logic??

[edit: in addition, the Leafs like many teams have historically tended to be more 'up' for games against the better teams. However the Leafs historically do not 'show up' against weaker teams more than usual, I would hazard to guess.

To put my feelings on the matter more strongly, historically the Leafs as an organization, in my lifetime, are the worst choke artists that have come to my attention, with the possible exception of various times in the history of the CFC. If by some miracle the Leafs manage to make the playoffs this year, they couldn't get past the first round to save their souls. :p]
                    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 12th October, 2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Once all the NHL teams have warmed up after the exhibition season and October, and all the Leaf weaknesses are well known to scouts, the Leafs often prove to be dead ducks come November. Superstition or logic??
                      Nothing you have posted about the Leafs on this thread is logical. Based on their performance last year and the changes they made this year, they are definately a stronger team ( on goaltending alone they are stronger ). Trading Grabovski for example cannot hurt their chances in a large way because no matter how much you like or dislike him, he wasn't getting full playing opportunity from the coach. Adding Bolland and Clarkson cannot make the team worse, but it can certainly make the team better. Raymond and Ranger were great finds to fill the roster under the cap. On the flip side, what have they lost this year that hurts them ? Frattin maybe ? So I guess the idea has to be that some of their players ( eg Kadri, Kessel, Lupul ) will drop back significantly. Otherwise, no way they are worse. Injuries maybe but this is not something you predict for a relatively young team. Lupul's always injured off and on but that's a given.

While this is no guarantee of a better record, its the higher probability. Plus they have some depth in goal and on defence that could be traded if a major injury occurs on offence.
                      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Saturday, 12th October, 2013, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Deleted 00000000

Comment

I edited my previous post, Duncan. I think the changes I added suffice as a reply.

Comment

I'm not superstitious; I don't consider a team's history defines the current roster. I know you seem to think slipping on a jersey instantly changes people, I'm not inclined to think that way ( in the same way I don't think ESP, UFOs, or witchcraft are real either ).

Ho hum. Leafs win again. Raymond and Bolland combine to get winner. How did those guys do last year? Oh wait, they were additions to the
                            team. What is their history ? They both came from winning teams. 5-1 and they are still waiting for their big free agent signing to come off suspension.
                            Last edited by Duncan Smith; Saturday, 12th October, 2013, 09:58 PM. Reason: Spotted a UFO ;)

Comment

I'm not superstitious; I don't consider a team's history defines the current roster. I know you seem to think slipping on a jersey instantly changes people, I'm not inclined to think that way ( in the same way I don't think ESP, UFOs, or witchcraft is real either ).
                              You may not believe in the goat owner's curse on the Cubs either, but it's been a long time since they've been to the world series.

Witchcraft and devil worship is real enough, but I'd rather not much get into that.

The Leafs will collapse, again, this year. Trust me.

Ottawa's fate is largely tied to Spezza being healthy. That's one reason why Alfie was key.
                              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 12th October, 2013, 10:00 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X