Pacey's NHL hockey picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pacey's NHL hockey picks

Y'know, Kevin, some people don't switch between teams to root for from season to season. They root for their home team.

Regarding Montreal, Price, Subban and Elller (who gives them some depth), better stay healthy or it could be a long season for them.

Teams don't win the cup in October and November. All they do at that point is jockey for position and identify problem areas.

Last nights 6 -5 Leaf win was exciting. Mainly because there were 2 "soft" goaltenders, and the Oilers hung theirs out to dry. Another team with a soft goalie is Winnipeg. Calgary seem to be OK so far with Joey MacDonald and he might emerge as their number 1 this season. Anderson better stay healthy because Spezza isn't gong to be able to carry the team on his shoulders, although, he'll likely try. I can see why you won't root for a a team like Ottawa.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
      Deleted 00000000
      Finally, a coherent opinion.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        Y'know, Kevin, some people don't switch between teams to root for from season to season. They root for their home team.

Regarding Montreal, Price, Subban and Elller (who gives them some depth), better stay healthy or it could be a long season for them.

Teams don't win the cup in October and November. All they do at that point is jockey for position and identify problem areas.

Last nights 6 -5 Leaf win was exciting. Mainly because there were 2 "soft" goaltenders, and the Oilers hung theirs out to dry. Another team with a soft goalie is Winnipeg. Calgary seem to be OK so far with Joey MacDonald and he might emerge as their number 1 this season. Anderson better stay healthy because Spezza isn't gong to be able to carry the team on his shoulders, although, he'll likely try. I can see why you won't root for a a team like Ottawa.
        Hi Gary

I finished shopping around for a new team to root for some years ago, and it's Montreal. Ottawa is my secondary choice. (unless Ottawa goes on in the playoffs in a given season, if Montreal is eliminated, in which case I begin to completely root for Ottawa for as long as they're in - if they get eliminated then I switch to rooting for one of the other Canadian teams left in the playoffs, if any, and so on...).

Even after Ottawa first reacquired an NHL hockey team, many Ottawa residents continue to root for either Montreal or the Leafs, rather than the Senators.

[edit: here's an article for Duncan, in case he still wants some reasons to back my intuition that the Leafs, well, stink:

http://www.torontostandard.com/sport...he-leafs-stink

]
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 13th October, 2013, 07:22 PM.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

When the season ends for the Leafs I start concentrating on the Blue Jays. There simply is NO other hockey team for me.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
            Fwiw, for tonight I'm calling for Calgary to beat New Jersey by at least 2 goals. Pittsburg will beat Florida too, slightly improving Montreal's chances (not that I've the checked the score yet).
            So far I'm 0 for 2 concerning my chesstalk NHL short term predictions (i.e. for given 2013-14 games), though NJ did at least lose that game (and in regulation) in the above quoted prediction.

Tonight I'm calling for Minnesota to beat the Leafs, in regulation.
            Ottawa will beat Pheonix, after regulation.
            Also, Montreal will beat Winnipeg in regulation.
            Buffalo will beat the NY Islanders and Detroit will beat Columbus (each in regulation), thus slightly worsening New Jersey's chances to make the playoffs. :p [edit: meant to write that NYI beats Buf & Columbus beats Detroit, which both failed to happen, as I know, as I write this edit. Plus Leafs won, Montreal won in regulation, but Ottawa game still not done yet]
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Tuesday, 15th October, 2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Loosers
              Even
              After
              Fourty
              Seasons

Comment

I watched them win the cup and it never occurred to me it would likely be the last time I'd see it.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I like the Leafs tonight, although I didn't bet the game. Home advantage. Opponent is playing back to back games and I wonder if they will start Harding tonight.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Well, a dart would probably have done as well.

When deciding the result you need objectivity. Also you have to analyze like a chess game and have reasons. Without reasons there isn't much point to bet a team. I told you why I thought the Leafs would win. How did I figure out Harding wouldn't likely start in goal tonight? As far as I know he has MS and I thought the team would give him the night off.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Mason Raymond will get 30+ goals this year.

Comment

So far I'm 0 for 2 concerning my chesstalk NHL short term predictions (i.e. for given 2013-14 games), though NJ did at least lose that game (and in regulation) in the above quoted prediction.

Tonight I'm calling for Minnesota to beat the Leafs, in regulation.
                        Ottawa will beat Pheonix, after regulation.
                        Also, Montreal will beat Winnipeg in regulation.
                        Buffalo will beat the NY Islanders and Detroit will beat Columbus (each in regulation), thus slightly worsening New Jersey's chances to make the playoffs. :p [edit: meant to write that NYI beats Buf & Columbus beats Detroit, which both failed to happen, as I know, as I write this edit. Plus Leafs won, Montreal won in regulation, but Ottawa game still not done yet]
                        Well, after last night I'm 2/7 on short term picks (2/5 last night, with a special cookie I'll give myself, since Ottawa did win after regulation indeed - I would have been 4/5 had I not been honest about NJ's rivals that I picked ;) ).

Gary asks, what were my objective reasons for my last night's picks? Well, Montreal winning was a bit of a coinflip, except they'd won 2 games in a row previously. Anyway, when in doubt, pick my own team. :D . Ottawa beating Pheonix was a shot in the dark to predict, so I thought if they'd do it, it'd be after regulation. Again, predicting more with my heart than my head.

There is nothing predictable about the Leafs showing up for a game or playing 60 minutes in my books. Look at what they've done fairly consistently since 1967, as I implied previously. Sorry, nothing objective about my hunch - I wouldn't have made even a gentleman's bet on it. As it is, the Leafs continue to build up to a crescendo before the inevitable fall. The only question is whether they'll squeak into the playoffs. My gut says no, but as always they make me hold my breath, at least early on in the season.

As for New Jersey's rivals, NYI should have beat Buffalo, based on their respective records prior to the game. As it was, it went to a shootout. Predicting Columbus beating Detroit was admittedly going against the odds, but I couldn't resist out of spite for Ben's Devils. Definitely guilty as charged regarding lack of objectivity there.

I don't plan to continue to make too many short term picks through the season (it would make this thread too long), but just for Gary I'll try to remember to state my reasons whether picks are hunches or not.
                        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 16th October, 2013, 02:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I don't plan to continue to make too many short term picks through the season (it would make this thread too long), but just for Gary I'll try to remember to state my reasons whether picks are hunches or not.
                          It doesn't matter. If you can't pick them well enough to make money even from Pro Line, what's the point? I have to tell you I wouldn't bet your picks.;)

Speaking of which team shows up, look at your home team, Ottawa. Anderson got a shutout in his first game and hasn't really shown up since. Maybe he'll be better in home games.

By the way, that Montreal game against Winnipeg was a "gimme". Winnipeg has a soft goalie, they were going up against Price who is good, and they have an attacking system which seem to leave the Winnipeg goalie without much protection quite often.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I admit I don't know most of the NHL players in any given season, being a casual fan like for baseball. But like for baseball, I do keep track of at least some trends. :D

I was basing my misgivings about the Montreal game last night mainly on the standings for each team prior to the game. That and Montreal's apparent tendency to start off unevenly in recent years.

Maybe you would not have picked Ottawa over Pheonix last night? and winning it in an overtime/shootout (does Pro-Line have that as an extra option for picks? Or difference in goals)?

I haven't bet anything in the way of money in ages (not that the bible clearly rules that out, afaik).
                            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 16th October, 2013, 03:28 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

I didn't find the desire yesterday to post a prediction about last night's games. :( It would have been a banner night had I gone against/with teams I (dis)like. Toronto lost, plus Montreal and Ottawa won (the latter vs. NJ), with all games ending in regulation. Good stuff!

Comment

I'm also calling for the Leafs to have a horrendous record in November, as I seem to recall they often have had in my lifetime.
                                It's Halloween, 31 October 2013. The Leafs record as of last night, and after today, will be 10 wins and 4 regulation losses, for a total of 20 points. Remember this post come 30 November, and see what the Leafs record is then.

This humble seer continues in his belief that the Leafs' early good-luck tour is about to be over! :D

Comment

Working...
                                X