Pacey's NHL hockey picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pacey's NHL hockey picks

I see Montreal has won a couple now. Price has been hot. Toronto had a goal called back for goaltender interference but it was a good call.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I liked Montreal's win against NJ last night. At least one commentator has described Montreal as being good defensively, at least this year so far.

I'm not clear on the rules for the two(?) wildcard playoff spots in each conference. At the start of the season I thought each division in a conference perhaps had two wildcard spots each, with those two teams to fight it out in some sort of a relatively short battle early on at the end of the regular season. Now however, based on something I've heard when half listening, I don't think NJ, for example, is even occupying a wild card spot in the Eastern Conference at the moment.
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I'm also not sure how they are working the wild card spots but will see if I can find some explanation.

If Price keeps up the good play he could be our goalie at the Olympics.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

From NHL.com:

The new alignment also ensures that all 30 teams play in all 30 arenas at least once per season.

The Stanley Cup Playoffs will still consist of 16 teams, eight in each conference, but it will be division-based and a wild-card system has been added.

The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends just three.

Seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the fewest points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second-fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each opening-round series will play for berths in the conference championship series.

The winners of the conference championships advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

Tonight's game against NJ turned out well for MontreaL, in spite of NJ twice grabbing a late third period one goal lead. The Habs finally won in a shootout, and are now in position to fight it out for first place in their division with Boston. Good stuff for this Habs fan. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
            At some point you need to look at the rosters and understand my point. I am NOT a lifelong Leafs fan, but I am a fan of well put together teams with character. My experiences with curling, soccer, and softball have tended to highlight the importance of these qualities in sport. My instincts tell me this Leafs team will be very good for at least 4-5 years, particularly because they are well positioned re the salary cap and a pretty young core is there and getting better. Reilly, Kadri, and Van Reimsdyk were all fairly high draft picks that have worked out. Gardner they seem to like, and he was good in the playoffs last year.

My guess is the Leafs finish second in their division behind Boston, that Montreal gets a wild card on the final weekend. As with any long term prediction in a league with some parity, there are no guarantees. One might say that their conference is tight and the teams with good character players and strong goaltending will come out the end a little better. Sounds like the Leafs to me.
            Hi Duncan

One commentator recently reminded me of the kind of pressure-cooker that Leaf players have lived with for many years, at least when the team is at home in Toronto, as a result of their being in such a big market as far as their fans go. Not sure you'd consider that tangible enough to be a factor.

Fwiw, I was hoping the Leafs would win against Boston yesterday, for Montreal to remain in first place in the division.

Comment

Working...
            X