Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spraggett quotes from long ago

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    Replying to Stephen Wright's post: I had never heard this idea before, that New York 1889 was the first 'Candidates' event, and that Nicholas MacLeod was a participant. Perhaps Stephen can tell us more about this event, which was, in fact, 'long ago!'
    The intention was that the winner of New York 1889 would become (temporary) world champion, but would then have to defend the title against the runner up in a match within a month. This was with the approval of Steinitz, who helped draw up the regulations, and who chose not to play in the tournament. However, Chigorin and Weiss tied for first, neither wanted to play a match for the championship, so it was third-place finisher Gunsberg who eventually played Steinitz for the championship. See the last paragraph of "The_reign_of_Wilhelm_Steinitz", or for primary sources see this article, starting on page three.

Comment

Replying to Stephen Wright's reply (I know that this discussion is now heading away from the intent of the original post, but this happens on chesstalk!): But Chigorin and Gunsberg DID in fact play a long match in 1890 in Havana, and this wound up drawn. Gunsberg then (or before!?) played Steinitz in an 1890 match and lost, that same year (World Championship!?), and then, in 1892, Chigorin did challenge Steinitz for the World Championship, also in Havana, and narrowly lost a long match. I'm using the chessmetrics.com site for my data here; this is an excellent site for many purposes, but it has fallen behind on contemporary data.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
        Replying to Stephen Wright's reply (I know that this discussion is now heading away from the intent of the original post, but this happens on chesstalk!): But Chigorin and Gunsberg DID in fact play a long match in 1890 in Havana, and this wound up drawn. Gunsberg then (or before!?) played Steinitz in an 1890 match and lost, that same year (World Championship!?), and then, in 1892, Chigorin did challenge Steinitz for the World Championship, also in Havana, and narrowly lost a long match. I'm using the chessmetrics.com site for my data here; this is an excellent site for many purposes, but it has fallen behind on contemporary data.
        Yes, but the Chigorin-Gunsberg match (1 January - 17 February 1890) was proposed by the Havana Chess Club and had nothing to do with the regulations or results of the New York 1889 tournament. It did, however, serve to confirm that Gunsberg was a legitimate challenger, which reinforced the Manhattan Chess Club's decision to sponsor a title match between Gunsberg and Steinitz (begun 9 December 1890). The two Steinitz-Chigorin matches (1889 and 1892) were privately organized and again unrelated to New York 1889. Incidentally some of the data at chessmetrics should be taken with a grain of salt: of the eight events listed for Nicholas Macleod, he only played in three of them (the others involve his father Donald, brother William, and a Scottish player with the same surname).

Comment

My investigation has yielded the following ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sanders.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	185594

Originally posted by A.A. Milne

Once upon a time, a very long time ago now, about last Friday, Winnie-the-Pooh lived in a forest all by himself under the name of Sanders.

("What does 'under the name' mean?" asked Christopher Robin.
          "It means he had the name over the door in gold letters, and lived under it."
          "Winnie-the-Pooh wasn't quite sure," said Christopher Robin.
          "Now I am," said a growly voice.
          "Then I will go on," said I.
          )

One day when he was out walking, he came to an open place in the middle of the forest, and in the middle of this place was a large oak-tree, and, from the top of the tree, there came a loud buzzing noise.
          And so begins Chapter One of The World of Pooh, in which we are introduced to Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees, and the Stories Begin.

The World of Pooh, A.A. Milne, 1957, McClelland and Stewart, Toronto, p. 8
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
            My investigation has yielded the following ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1089[/ATTACH]

And so begins Chapter One of The World of Pooh, in which we are introduced to Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees, and the Stories Begin.

The World of Pooh, A.A. Milne, 1957, McClelland and Stewart, Toronto, p. 8
            Thanks! That would definitely be it. I have read those books (and most everything by A.A. Milne) many times.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

That's from J.R.R. Tolkien. harrumph. (Or maybe A.A. Milne.)

Not from Tolkien. The only thing he ever wrote for publication using a "childish" manner of speech was "The Hobbit" and I am willing to bet ten bucks that there is no such line in that book. He actually regretted writing that book using that form of speech thinking it always a mistake to "talk down" to children.

Comment

Yes, it's Milne. The Tolkien quote is only similar.

BTW, Tolkien also wrote Farmer Giles of Ham (for children) and The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (simple poetry).
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Replying to Stephen Wright's latest post: Stephen, that is some kind of great information!! Thank you very much. :)

You could let chessmetrics.com know about your information concerning Nicholas MacLeod, if you have not already done so. I know that Jeff Sonas would be interested, even though the updating of that site has fallen way behind (Jeff has been seeking volunteers to update and correct it).

Comment

Yes, it's Milne. The Tolkien quote is only similar.

BTW, Tolkien also wrote Farmer Giles of Ham (for children) and The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (simple poetry).
                    These were not originally written with a plan to publish, though after he became famous they were. Of his published shorts I like "Leaf, by Niggle" best. That doesn't mean it is the best, only that I personally like it best, see here for a list.
                    Last edited by Ed Seedhouse; Friday, 18th October, 2013, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Wilhelm Steinitz strikes as the one World Chess Champion who actively sought out all the strongest contenders available and truly tried to play them.
                      Last edited by Dan Raats; Sunday, 20th October, 2013, 09:00 PM. Reason: replaced a redundant word

Comment

Working...
                      X