French translation of WYCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French translation of WYCC

I'd like to know how to write World Youth Chess Championships in French in as brief a form as possible (for team shirts). Thank you.

Re: French translation of WYCC

Not sure about a brief form, but the one that French Chess Federation is using is: Championnat du monde d'échecs de la jeunesse

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
      Not sure about a brief form, but the one that French Chess Federation is using is: Championnat du monde d'échecs de la jeunesse
      So, CMEJ ought to do it then? :)
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Translations can be a problem. I once needed some CC info translated to French. About a third of the membership was from Quebec. The translation was done by a Quebecer whose first language was French.

I got several complaints about the translation and ended up having to tell a couple of people who did the translation because they thought I did it myself. That would have been bad.

Probably if the material had been written in French and translated to English the English wouldn't have sounded right. Possibly a difference in phrasing.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: French translation of WYCC

Andrei is right, the French Chess Federation uses "Championnat du monde d'échecs de la jeunesse".
          However, in Quebec, we say "Championnat jeunesse d'échecs du monde". Finding an appropriate translation is pretty hard, as échecs (chess) also means "failure" in French...
          The first wording might be better for the shirts though, as it would avoid to have different translations of the tournament name.

In any case, probably no one will know what CMEJ or CJEM mean. Perhaps it would be better, if you have enough space, to write "Ch. jeunesse du monde", this way omitting "chess", which may be somewhere else on the sirt.

Comment

thanks....
            Last edited by Scott Richardson; Monday, 21st October, 2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

World Youth Chess Championships
              Championnat jeunesse du monde

Al Ain, UAE, 2013

I think that's it.
              Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X