Draw offers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draw offers....

A local expert insisted (to me) that once you offer a draw (which is refused), you cannot offer a draw again unless your opponent offers one in the meantime (which you refuse). I told him there is no such rule. You can offer draws as much as you want - unless it brings FIDE rule 12.6 into effect:

12.6 It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. This includes unreasonable claims, unreasonable offers of a draw or the introduction of a source of noise into the playing area.

Who/what determines "unreasonable offers of a draw"?

Re: Draw offers....

As a player I always considered it implicit in the draw offer that should the opponent decline but change their mind later they should offer a draw back as I've indicated my willingness to consider the half point. The only exception is in clearly drawn positions where I would make multiple offers if the opponent was insisting on playing on, but even then not too many.

Who decides what is unreasonable? I guess in the end, the arbiter does assuming the opponent actually involves them or they are so frequent they start distracting neighbouring players.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re : Re: Draw offers....

You can definitely offer a draw more than once... I'd say that that "unreasonable offers of a draw" would be more than 3 offers within 15 moves, but this is obviously pretty subjective. In any case, one shouldn't feel bad about offering the draw in the middlegame and then offering another one 30 moves later during the endgame...

I only encountered this problem once. One year, at the Quebec Open Blitz tournament, a national master who was down a piece against me offered a draw at every move for about 30 moves. I would have surely warned the arbiter, but I was unfortunately in heavy time pressure...

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Draw offers....

You can always stop both clocks in order to seek the arbiter's assistance, even in blitz. If the arbiter beleive that you did stop the clocks without a valid reasaon, he will penalise you, this is the risk.

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        You can definitely offer a draw more than once... I'd say that that "unreasonable offers of a draw" would be more than 3 offers within 15 moves, but this is obviously pretty subjective. In any case, one shouldn't feel bad about offering the draw in the middlegame and then offering another one 30 moves later during the endgame...

I only encountered this problem once. One year, at the Quebec Open Blitz tournament, a national master who was down a piece against me offered a draw at every move for about 30 moves. I would have surely warned the arbiter, but I was unfortunately in heavy time pressure...

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Draw offers....

"Ureasonnable offer of draw" is an expression that is left to the interpretation of the arbiter. Too much details in the rules would impeed the arbiter work.

Comment

Working...
          X