Is Chess a Sport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Is Chess a Sport?

The Philippines is yet another country that doles out 'athlete of the year' awards to chess players (:

http://sports.inquirer.net/148135/ch...es-of-the-year

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Is Chess a Sport?

Stephen Moss of 'The Guardian' tries to argue today that not only is chess a sport, but that it's "an extreme sport", and that tournaments should come with health warnings (:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-extreme-sport

Comment

Re: Is Chess a Sport?

I don't know if anyone else noticed it but the ChessBase wrap up of how the FIDE election was covered in the press had photos of the various newspapers covering the news story. The first one, from Bulgaria is clearly from the "Sports" section (if you can read Cryillic). So, in Bulgaria at least, chess is covered in the sports section. (Same was true when I visited Moscow in 1984).

http://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-an...national-press

Comment

I hope everyone noticed some of the "athletes" playing at the Olympiad.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
            I don't know if anyone else noticed it but the ChessBase wrap up of how the FIDE election was covered in the press had photos of the various newspapers covering the news story. The first one, from Bulgaria is clearly from the "Sports" section (if you can read Cryillic). So, in Bulgaria at least, chess is covered in the sports section. (Same was true when I visited Moscow in 1984).

http://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-an...national-press
            In Williams Lake B.C. as well.

Comment

I find these 'is chess a sport?' arguments a colossal waste of time. Who cares? Chess is...Chess! The only time it might matter is if we're trying to get government funding for sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                I find these 'is chess a sport?' arguments a colossal waste of time. Who cares? Chess is...Chess! The only time it might matter is if we're trying to get government funding for sport.
                I tend to agree that these sorts of discussions are pointless.

Is chess a form of athletics? Obviously not.

Must a sport be a form of athletics? Some say yes. Others say no.

If no, then chess is a sport.

I think a way of defining a sport would be any form of competition based on skill/ability, particularly one that develop "fans", and where people would be willing to bet on the outcome of the competition.

Horse racing is the "sport of kings", but I would hesitate to call the jockeys athletes.

YMMV

Steve

Comment

I would call jockeys athletes more than I would call Grand Prix drivers athletes. They have to keep in shape, and watch their weight, although some would call the horse the "athlete".

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                    I would call jockeys athletes more than I would call Grand Prix drivers athletes. They have to keep in shape, and watch their weight, although some would call the horse the "athlete".
                    For those of us using a threaded view, your posts are hard to follow. Your posts neither quote the post you are referring to nor fall below that post. Could you do at least one, preferably both of those things?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      I think you'll find that most Grand Prix drivers are quite physically fit. What would you say about the Summer Olympic sports such as Archery, the various shooting competitions, and the various Equestrian events?

Steve

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Is Chess a Sport?

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                        Since I read the news story, I have been puzzled as to when chess is a toy.
                        Every kid from age five to about ten who takes chess lessons starts trying to build a tower with the chess pieces. At that point the pieces are a toy.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Is Chess a Sport?

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                          Every kid from age five to about ten who takes chess lessons starts trying to build a tower with the chess pieces. At that point the pieces are a toy.
                          Rooks and knights work best. At chess camp in Ottawa, while we do try to keep the construction projects to a minimum due to the noise resulting from collapses, I have seen several rooks stacked, then about five knights with their noses hooked over the edge of the top rook, then another rook or two, some more knights and finally a king on top... then the inevitable.

Comment

Vlad wrote:

Witnessed at a National Open in Las Vegas some years ago. The tower remained standing for at least a day (well roped off, etc.):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chess Tower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	185749

This (different) image is somewhat clearer:

Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Sunday, 17th August, 2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

The Hon. Mr. Justice Mostyn has given a legal opinion (:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pred...the-cards.html

Comment

Working...
                              X