Chess concepts that aren't, or often aren't, in the books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess concepts that aren't, or often aren't, in the books

I invite posts on chess concepts that aren't widely known, if at all known to the chess public yet.

Decades ago, for example, FM Gordon Taylor submitted an article to the En Passant magazine about a concept of his that borrowed a concept from the oriental game of GO. It was about Tsuegi (sp?) against knights. His examples used bishops (and even rooks) achieving an optimal situation against an enemy knight. Two bare bones examples (ignore the Black pawns in each - they are their to show the squares that the White pieces control, in dominating the Black knight to the max):

I can suggest a different sort of concept, which might be seen as remotely related to GM Suba's concept of (waiting for) Information in Chess (also called the Information Game, which often is used by Black in the early part of the game - for example 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 h6 [or 3...Be7] commits Black as little as possible at move three, he hopes, while waiting to see White's next move/commitment).

My suggested concept, which may need much more fleshing out still (if it is at all useful), is what I call Gatekeeping, especially as it applies to the opening. Either player can be a Gatekeeper at any point in the opening; the aim of a Gatekeeper is to try to get an opening or variation (which is preferably objectively strong) he prefers, hopefully also instead of the one his opponent does. There are three levels of Gatekeeping, based on how strong the openings one limits oneself to with one's chosen move:

Strong Gatekeeping
    Temperate Gatekeeping
    Tepid Gatekeeping

An example of a strong Gatekeeper is White when Black aims (or maybe even feigns) to get the Marshall Attack in the Ruy Lopez:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 0-0.

Here White is the Gatekeeper, as he can choose between more than one strong move - 8.c3 allows the Marshall Attack, if White likes facing it, or else 8.a4 (or 8.h3) is an objectively strong alternative, going into an Anti-Marshall.

An example of temperate Gatekeeping is as follows:

1.e4 c5

Here White is a temperate Gatekeeper, as none of his alternatives to 2.Nf3 are objectively strong, but at least one isn't too tepid, namely 2.c3, if he wishes to play it. The c3-Sicilian isn't objectively strong, as far as best chances for winning goes, but if White doesn't mind a draw then this variation can be inconvenient for Black.

An example of tepid Gatekeeping is as follows:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6

Here it is already Black who might have been viewed as a strong Gatekeeper, at move three - if White wanted an Evans gambit, for example, Black has chosen an objectively strong alternative that he had available. Now, at move four, White has nothing strong, objectively, other than 4.Ng5 (at least IMO). However White is still a Gatekeeper, albeit a tepid one. He can choose between at least 4.d3 and 4.d4, which are the second best choices here. Neither has [almost] exceptional drawing tendencies, like the c3-Sicilian, at the highest levels - hence White has only tepid choices if 4.Ng5 is not to his taste.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 31st October, 2013, 02:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Chess concepts that aren't, or often aren't, in the books

I always push g6-g5 in the Benoni and end up in deep trouble. And I certainly didn't learned that from a chess book.

Does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
      I always push g6-g5 in the Benoni and end up in deep trouble. And I certainly didn't learned that from a chess book.

Does that count?
      It's an idea for a concept in a specific opening/situation, though I had more general concepts in mind. I seem to recall reading that the idea of playing ...g6-g5 in the Modern Benoni (before/after ...Ne5) is less trusted/common nowadays. I saw a similar rule of thumb about not playing ...h6 in the 6.Bg5 Najdorf in the first Experts vs. Sicilian book, fwiw.
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 31st October, 2013, 08:57 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
        It's an idea for a concept in a specific opening/situation, though I had more general concepts in mind.
        Yeah, my comment was meant to be taken with a grain of salt. You talk about an interesting concept that can be applied broadly and I come in with a bad concept that is very specific... ;)

But back on topic, and it's related to your original post: quantifying square control. Most engines use that concept now and it's rarely talked about in books. I mean, actually counting the important squares controlled by a piece and comparing pieces value based on that.

Example: I'm the exchange down, but it's not much of a problem at the moment because my bishop is controlling 4 important squares, same as my opponent's rook.

The concept of 'important square' is a little vague and can also be extremely dynamic over the course of the game, but you get the idea. And of course, the human brain is not fast enough to compute that for every position in a variation. But you could realistically apply the idea to a handful of critical positions without slowing down your calculation.

Mathieu

Comment

I invite posts on chess concepts that aren't widely known, if at all known to the chess public yet.

Decades ago, for example, FM Gordon Taylor submitted an article to the En Passant magazine about a concept of his that borrowed a concept from the oriental game of GO. It was about Tsuegi (sp?) against knights. His examples used bishops (and even rooks) achieving an optimal situation against an enemy knight.
          Um...
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domination_(chess)

Comment

Don`t protect your pieces.

If you do you are attacking the wrong side.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Haukenfrers View Post
              Don`t protect your pieces.

If you do you are attacking the wrong side.
              When I think about it, I try to both protect my own pieces and attack the opponent's while I'm at it. :D

From Secrets of Practical Chess, Nunn mentions that all a weaker player learned from playing him a lot of fast TC games was that LPDO (Loose Pieces Drop Off), i.e. unprotected pieces are prone to becoming lost due to an unexpected tactic, e.g. a double attack.

Perhaps many players are reluctant to give away little-known (serious) chess concepts they know to other players, e.g. on chesstalk. That's at least without a price extracted. Then again, maybe most worthwhile chess concepts for humans have all, or pretty much, been discovered.

Comment

I`m not sure if this is as rare as I believe it is, but I`d like to see a book on colour complexes. Like weak light or dark squares, when they are actually weak and when you can get away with them, the role of the Bishops in targeting these weaknesses, possible advantages you can get from weakening your light or dark squares (ie space, activity), etc...
                University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

I am not sure how useful this is, but I rarely see it spelled out even in beginner's books, where I think it may belong:

Every decisive game, played out to the end, finishes with an attack upon the King.

And that is meant to point out that if you don't know how to attack the king you will never win any chess games.

Comment

Re : Re: Chess concepts that aren't, or often aren't, in the books

Perhaps many players are reluctant to give away little-known (serious) chess concepts they know to other players, e.g. on chesstalk. That's at least without a price extracted. Then again, maybe most worthwhile chess concepts for humans have all, or pretty much, been discovered.
                    Actually, there are many simple themes not mentioned very often in chess books.

One that comes to mind is the Q-R battery attacking the opposing king. Unless there is an obvious mate, it is usually better to put the rook in front of the queen, rather than the queen in front of the rook. Because a win is much more likely by sacrificing the rook and then mating with the remaining queen (protected by another piece), rather than by sacrificing the queen and then mating with the remaining rook.

I read this only once, in one of Reti's book. He gave an example with the Q in front of the R, and then showed a long and complicated manoeuver to invert the placement of both pieces. But once the R managed to find itself in front the Q, everything became simple: the R sacrified itself on a pawn in front of the king, and then the Q mated the king.

Comment

Working...
                    X