FIDE-rated tournaments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE-rated tournaments.

Right now we have a new trend in Ontario chess tournaments - less and less events are FIDE-rated. If few years ago almost every tournament was FIDE-rated, now it's just opposite - almost every tournament is not FIDE-rated.

Among last few events (Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Aurora, Guelph) only one was FIDE-rated.

Strong players usually care about their FIDE rating only. As far as I know S.Thavandiran withdrew from Labour Day Open after first game (which he won!!) because he realised this event isn't FIDE-rated.

Juniors probably care about both CFC and FIDE ratings, but with less opportunites to improve their FIDE rating we will have soon problem with FIDE-underrated Canadian juniors, which could lead to extremally deflational environment in Canadian chess.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Monday, 4th November, 2013, 07:35 PM.

Re: FIDE-rated tournaments.

Montreal seems to have about one FIDE-rated event per month - e.g. the "Elite" tournament Thanksgiving weekend, and the Varennes tournament this coming weekend (with 2 GM's!). However - I don't see any mention about the Pere Noel tournament (Dec. 26-30) being FIDE-rated.

Ottawa seems to have FIDE-rated sections in their events, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Hi,

Last year FIDE passed some motion that to rate tournaments with them, the arbiter would have to be IA, FA, or some newly created title National Arbiter. These NAs would be approved by CFC, registered with FIDE through the CFC. Prior to this coming into effect, anyone could organize a FIDE-rated tournament. The result now is that many people don't have the qualifications to rate something with FIDE.
      Canada has a handful of IAs and FAs, many of them inactive. People have since scrambled to get their National Arbiter titles. CFC stipulated that now in Canada we have Regional & National Arbiters (or TDs??) as well / or organizers. I hate the term TD and I don't know really what it refers to. It's a North American thing. These titles are to be given to people who apply for them and have had some experience running tournaments. Getting a FA title has also been a real pain in the neck up until recent times. Canada seldom hosts any seminars and only recently started doing them at Canadian Opens. Nowadays apparently one can also write his FA test over the Internet. Arbiter norms also take time since we don't have many big tournaments in Canada. Interest also seems low. Most people who organize any tournaments do it on their free time and aren't likely to go through 20 hours of classroom time at a seminar for example, and pay for it.

As you mentioned, we were on the right track by having more and more FIDE-rated tournaments and these expanding to lower classes (instead of just Open, also U2200 / U2000), up until last year. Now we are going backwards.

I played in Spain this Summer and just like in Greece before (and really, most European countries), FIDE ratings go all the way down to 1000. Some nations don't have a national rating system, or it runs parallel to FIDE. We need to stop being backwards. Even if that means completely adopting FIDE ratings and scrapping CFC ones.

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
        Nowadays apparently one can also write his FA test over the Internet. Arbiter norms also take time since we don't have many big tournaments in Canada. Interest also seems low. Most people who organize any tournaments do it on their free time and aren't likely to go through 20 hours of classroom time at a seminar for example, and pay for it..
        Both true. (cost are not so high. I think ~50usd) But those 20 hours on computer from 6 to 9 pm over the week are a kill. (one in the closest future in a pre-Christmas season :/

For Aurora Open we are looking for solutions to make at least one section FIDE rated.

Comment

As far as I know, Brian Lamb is a licenced arbiter. Why last 2 of his tournaments were not FIDE rated?

Comment

In Ottawa at the RA Centre four weekend tournament are FIDE rated every year.

I think we could have done a much better job of getting our tournament directors FIDE licensed. The CFC Governors passed a motion last year to put designations on folks that had run a lot of CFC rated events. The CFC retired the formal TD licensing program in 1992 and we have not attracted a lot of people into organizing and running chess tournaments. We used to have about 150+ individuals that submitted tournaments to the CFC each year and we are now getting closer to 100. Of those about 1/3 are FIDE designated. Of the 61 on the NTD list a lot are retired from chess organizing.

When it came to FIDE, Canada acted as if we had no options. We were slow to recognize experienced tournament directors and get them FIDE blessed. Other federations promote their organizers to FIDE titles with far less fuss. Add to that that the CFC could not pay fees to FIDE for our IAs because the CFC simply did not have the money. So the fees that FIDE decided to charge IAs have driven a number of Canadians with that title into retirement. Overall, the picture is not all that positive when it comes to putting on FIDE rated tournaments.
            Last edited by Halldor P. Palsson; Tuesday, 5th November, 2013, 07:57 PM. Reason: NTD # is 61 - and can run local FIDE events

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
              As far as I know, Brian Lamb is a licenced arbiter. Why last 2 of his tournaments were not FIDE rated?
              Victor, unfortunately, Brian Lamb is NOT a FIDE-licenced arbiter.
              The only FIDE-licenced arbiter in Toronto is Alex Ferreira (if don't count Francis Rodriguez, Philip Haley, Martin Jaeger, David Lavin and David Cohen, all of them are mostly inactive lately).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Barron View Post
                Victor, unfortunately, Brian Lamb is NOT a FIDE-licenced arbiter.
                The only FIDE-licenced arbiter in Toronto is Alex Ferreira (if don't count Francis Rodriguez, Philip Haley, Martin Jaeger, David Lavin and David Cohen, all of them are mostly inactive lately).
                Hi Michael,

I'm not sure how much of that statement is true, but as Hal Bond
                and the CFC will confirm, my IA title is licensed, paid-up and active:
                http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=10800581

The CFC/FIDE was supposed to effect the affiliation to Canada,
                the wheels grind slowly, I'm sure in time they'll get around to it! :-)

Francis

Comment

I never write on this forum but felt compelled to do so in response to this thread. I am new to chess tournament directing but have the passion and opportunity to run what we hope are exciting and valuable tournaments in Aurora for the chess playing community in our region and beyond. I am also a fairly new member of the CFC and the chess playing community, so perhaps I see the whole organization with fresh eyes.

Running a tournament correctly seems to be a quagmire that is difficult to navigate. During both the Summer and Fall Opens, my priorities were to make sure that we ran a fair and worthwhile competition for our customers - the players. No matter expert or beginner. We wanted to run a tournament that hopefully went smoothly and brought enjoyment to everyone no matter whether games were won or lost. That part of organizing seemed fairly straight forward.

The part of tournament organization that I am having trouble with is making sure that I am actually qualified to run these events in terms of being an authority on every aspect of the competitive game. I quite honestly feel inadequate in this respect. I have worked through the rules myself and with others, and I have been able to help players and make judgments on issues that have occurred, usually in conjunction with the advice of a more knowledgeable person.

However, I feel that the support structure in Canada is somewhat lacking - I'm a Tournament Director left floundering with no training, no qualification, and no verification that what I am doing is actually correct. It's pretty frustrating. In answer to Victor, we are certainly looking at FIDE qualifications as we would love to bring FIDE rated events to Aurora. It is our intention to do so because it has been asked for and is obviously of value to the wider (international) chess playing community.

In terms of training and qualifications to run such an event, it appears currently that our only option is to look either abroad or to Internet Seminars. Of course this takes some time and some dedication in our otherwise busy lives - not to mention money (and we are not making a business out of directing tournaments) - but hopefully we will be able to take the time to become experts in this domain sooner rather than later. A local support structure might make the task easier to achieve but I don't see one in Canada right now.

Comment

Hi Francis,

Thank you for response!
                    I stand corrected! :)

Any plans for a great FIDE rated tournament in Toronto - like NAYCC or Canadian Junior? ;)

Comment

Working...
                    X