Poll: Anand or Carlsen: predict the score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Anand or Carlsen: predict the score

I expected someone else would have done this by now...

This Poll is to see what CT posters predict about the WC match. To reduce the number of options, this poll asks you to predict the winner and the winning margin. So "Anand +2" means you think Anand will win with a 2 point margin (which covers two possible final scores: Anand wins 6.5-4.5 or Anand wins 7-5). Similarly, "Carlsen +4" means Carlsen wins by 4 points (either 7-3 or 6.5 - 2.5).

There are two middle options for predicting a winner if it goes to a tiebreak.

The poll will be closed once the match starts.

edit apparently I can't edit the poll at all once it has been created, otherwise I would close it Nov 8 at midnight EST, rather than the time the CT software chose for it, which will be after game 1. :P
    Anand +4 (or more)
    0.00%
    Anand +3
    0.00%
    Anand +2
    7.14%
    Anand +1
    11.90%
    Anand (in playoff)
    4.76%
    Carlsen (in playoff)
    2.38%
    Carlsen +1
    19.05%
    Carlsen +2
    50.00%
    Carlsen +3
    4.76%
    Carlsen +4 (or more)
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by John Upper; Friday, 8th November, 2013, 03:43 PM. Reason: corrected +2 score to "6.5-4.5"; poll close time :P

Re: Poll: Anand or Carlsen: predict the score

I previously picked whomever plays black in game 1 to win the match.

So simple is predicting.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

While I don't mind the score, I care about the winner - Magnus Calsen shall place an order in the chess world, when the champion is a leader in all terms.

Comment

In 1972, I predicted the correct score for Fischer-Spassky, and won $50 worth of chess books (worth a lot more than that today!) - compliments of Vlad (then Walter) Dobrich! :-)

Comment

You can watch it all on your mobile device. I dloaded the App Fide World Championship Match 2013. However, I expect to be sleeping while it's being played.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I predict Anand by 2 based on when the first decisive game occurs:

Game 1-4: First to lose is World Champion
            Game 5-6: First to win is World Champion
            Game 7-11: Anand retains with +2
            Game 12: Will not be the first decisive game

Comment

Does anyone know who is playing black in game 1? I want to know who I picked to win.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Does anyone know who is playing black in game 1? I want to know who I picked to win.
                Anand will be Black in game 1.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                  Anand will be Black in game 1.
                  Thanks. I'll have to see how my formula for this one works out.

I long ago stopped caring about who wins games and events. Only that they are played according to the rules. Probably too many years of being an arbiter. Although, I do tend to root for Canadians or people having a good event.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

This Poll is to see what CT posters predict about the WC match. To reduce the number of options, this poll asks you to predict the winner and the winning margin. So "Anand +2" means you think Anand will win with a 2 point margin (which covers two possible final scores: Anand wins 6-4 or Anand wins 7-5). Similarly, "Carlsen +4" means Carlsen wins by 4 points (either 7-3 or 6.5 - 2.5).

I'm asking this not to be nit-picky, but in case there's a match scoring detail I'm not aware of.

How can Anand win 6-4? Doesn't that leave 2 games left that Carlsen could win to tie it 6-6?

Maybe you meant 6.5 - 4.5, and the 12 game wouldn't be played?
                    Only the rushing is heard...
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Under the Rules and Regulations for the FIDE World Championship Match 2013 we have

3.6.1 Conditions of victory

The FWCM 2013 shall be played over a maximum of twelve (12) games and the winner of the match shall be the first player to score 6.5 points or more. A tie shall be broken according to Article 3. Below. If the winner scores 6.5 points in less than 12 games that the organizer can re-schedule the Closing Ceremony for an earlier date.

http://chennai2013.fide.com/wp-conte.../FWCM20131.pdf

Thus, the (reasonable) possibilities for one player are:

Winning by 4 games 7-4,6.5-2.5
                      +3 7-4
                      +3 6.5-3.5
                      +2 7-5
                      +2 6.5-4.5
                      +1 6.5-5.5
                      6-6 wins on tie-break
                      Last edited by Wayne Komer; Thursday, 7th November, 2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Will this be a second straight world championship where no one shows up late to a game?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                          Maybe you meant 6.5 - 4.5, and the 12 game wouldn't be played?
                          yes.

I hope no one else found this confusing.

Comment

This Poll is to see what CT posters predict about the WC match. To reduce the number of options, this poll asks you to predict the winner and the winning margin. So "Anand +2" means you think Anand will win with a 2 point margin (which covers two possible final scores: Anand wins 6.5-4.5 or Anand wins 7-5). Similarly, "Carlsen +4" means Carlsen wins by 4 points (either 7-3 or 6.5 - 2.5).

Can anyone comment on how good Carlsen is in shorter time control play? I haven't followed his career much and the only thing I know about him is that he is somewhat famous for snatching victory from the jaws of dedraw.

Anand became famous as a prolific player in short time controls, maybe one of the best ever. Even in long time controls at the elite level, he played shockingly quick games. How does Carlsen compare in that respect at this still-early stage of his career?

My thinking is, Anand will frustrate Carlsen by holding many games to draws... each player may win a regular time control game, I'm even thinking Anand may strike first in that regard and Carlsen will even it quickly. Game 1, with Anand as Black, will be crucial to Anand succeeding at such a strategy.

Then they go into the tie-break, and I don't know how Carlsen does in the shorter game, but I bet that's exactly where Anand would like the title decided.

If Carlsen does win, whether in tie-break or not, I hesitate to join the bandwagon that says he'll rejuvenate chess. In a way, it's similar to thinking back in 2000 or so that Kid Rock would rejuvenate the rock music scene. I'm sure there were people who believed that. Plus, does Carlsen have any quality of coolness besides being young and (supposedly) handsome?

Chess is a serious game, and Carlsen seems to convey seriousness (not good for chess rejuvenation). Does he even have a sense of humour?
                            Only the rushing is heard...
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                              In 1972, I predicted the correct score for Fischer-Spassky, and won $50 worth of chess books (worth a lot more than that today!) - compliments of Vlad (then Walter) Dobrich! :-)
                              In April of that year, I made an insane even-money bet with Gerry Lassen that Fischer would win by 12.5 to 8.5. All other scores paid off to him. I was very happy when Fischer won the 21st game!

Comment

Working...
                              X