Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poll: Anand or Carlsen: predict the score

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
    Can anyone comment on how good Carlsen is in shorter time control play? I haven't followed his career much and the only thing I know about him is that he is somewhat famous for snatching victory from the jaws of dedraw.

Anand became famous as a prolific player in short time controls, maybe one of the best ever.

AFAIK the days when Anand played a whole game in a few minutes are long past.

With the Amber tournament ending in 2011 there aren't as many rapid events that can afford Carlsen, but:
    • World Rapid Ch in 2012: Carlsen was leading going into the last day and lost two games to finish second, behind Karjakin;
    • 2011 he finished last (1.5/6) in the Botvinnik Memorial Rapid, losing to Anand (who won) and Aronian and Kramnik.
    • he won the 2011 Amber rapid (9.5/11), defeating Anand and losing only one game (to Ivanchuk), and
    • in 2010 MC tied for first there with Ivanchuk.
    • he beat Anand in a Rapid match called the "Arctic Stars" in 2010

FWIW Carlsen decisively beat Nakamura in an off-the-record blitz match two or three years ago, so his blitz play may well be the best in the world too.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
      I expected someone else would have done this by now...

This Poll is to see what CT posters predict about the WC match. To reduce the number of options, this poll asks you to predict the winner and the winning margin. So "Anand +2" means you think Anand will win with a 2 point margin (which covers two possible final scores: Anand wins 6.5-4.5 or Anand wins 7-5). Similarly, "Carlsen +4" means Carlsen wins by 4 points (either 7-3 or 6.5 - 2.5).

There are two middle options for predicting a winner if it goes to a tiebreak.

The poll will be closed once the match starts.

edit apparently I can't edit the poll at all once it has been created, otherwise I would close it Nov 8 at midnight EST, rather than the time the CT software chose for it, which will be after game 1. :P
      If Carlsen can achieve +3 in 10 games it would be more dominant than Kasparov-Short (+5 in 20) or Fischer-Korchnoi (+4 in 21).

Comment

Now that the poll is over, it is interesting to see the vote count in a very similar poll from Australia:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....414#post370414

(Go to the head of the thread)

Score……...Canada…Australia
        Anand +4 or more 0 % 0 %
        Anand +3 0 % 0 %
        Anand +2 7.1 % 10.71 %
        Anand +1 11.9 % 7.1 %
        Anand, playoff 4.8 % 3.6 %
        Carlsen, playoff 2.4 % 3.6 %
        Carlsen +1 19.1 % 10.7 %
        Carlsen +2 50.0 % 42.8 %
        Carlsen +3 4.8 % 21.4 %
        Carlsen +4 or more 0 % 0 %

Ballots CAN 42 AUS 28

76% in Canada and 82% in Australia believe that Carlsen will be the winner.

Comment

Working...
        X