Gender Differences in Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gender Differences in Chess

To think “Gender Differences in Chess", you should read this article of the "Gender Differences in IQ"

Re: Gender Differences in Chess

Just a quick look at your data suggests that the distributions for men and women are simply not of the same type. Data for men looks like a normal distribution (slightly skewed towards the lower ratings), but I doubt that the data for women would pass a comparison test to a normal distribution. Maybe the axis is fooling me there, though. And for both males and females, there seems to be a bunch of players right after the statistical average, at around 2100.

All of this indicate that you can't simply compare both 'peaks' and say 'ha ha' guys are 100 points stronger!

It's either because of differences in sample sizes, or there's another factor at play here.

Comment

Re : Re: Gender Differences in Chess

One should also look at the average age... The proportion of female players is much higher in elementary or high school (with an obviously lower average rating).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Gender Differences in Chess

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        One should also look at the average age... The proportion of female players is much higher in elementary or high school (with an obviously lower average rating).
        Good point, maybe that's what is skewing the results.

IMO, we can't possibly draw sensible conclusions when there's such a difference in terms of raw numbers. Of course the group that is outnumbering the other by as much as 20 to 1 will be at an advantage.

Comment

To promote the chess in Female Group, why don't we consider the policy for "Gender Differences in Tournament(Prize, Category)", "Gender Differences in Club Membership" and even "Gender Differences in CFC Membership"?

Comment

Originally posted by William Yuan View Post
            To promote the chess in Female Group, why don't we consider the policy for "Gender Differences in Tournament(Prize, Category)", "Gender Differences in Club Membership" and even "Gender Differences in CFC Membership"?
            Well, maybe the best solution would be to ask the women/girls directly? What do they like/dislike in organized chess?

Guys will always come up with 'guys' solutions. And we know this is not always optimal.

Comment

CFC Women's Coordinator: Gender Differences in Chess

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
              Well, maybe the best solution would be to ask the women/girls directly? What do they like/dislike in organized chess?

Guys will always come up with 'guys' solutions. And we know this is not always optimal.
              Hi Mathieu:

It is my experience that it is very difficult to get the opinions of women players (at least, sufficient to be the basis of any conclusion). And I worked one year, as a CFC Non-executive officer, with the Women's Coordinator at the time.

And with respect to this honoured CMA Board, almost no women ever post. It would be interesting to hear opinions from male players/posters on this board, as to why that is the case.

So any attempt to communicate with women players in Canada by this Board is virtually fruitless (you will be lucky if you get any Canadian female player to respond here).

Liza Orlova is the current Women's Coordinator. We have been having some discussions as to the job description for the CFC Women's Coordinator. If there is to be any survey on anything about Canadian Women Player Views, it would seem best to contact her. I believe her e-mail can be obtained on the CFC Website: www.chess.ca.

Bob A, CFC Public Relations Coordinator

Comment

Re: CFC Women's Coordinator: Gender Differences in Chess

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Hi Mathieu:

It is my experience that it is very difficult to get the opinions of women players (at least, sufficient to be the basis of any conclusion).

Bob A, CFC Public Relations Coordinator
                Hi Bob,

Just having a woman at the women's coordinator position is a step in the right direction!

I don't expect women to post here simply because of this 20-to-1 ratio but it's good to hear some efforts are made at the CFC with regard to this situation.

Oh and, guys, please, could you refrain from posting sexist remarks if a woman ever post something around here? ;) It's easy, you just have to make sure your post does not mention, in any way or form, the physical appearance of said woman.
                Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Sunday, 10th November, 2013, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X