Frank Dixon, why haven't you sent me my book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frank Dixon, why haven't you sent me my book?

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Do you seek a good insult?
    I haven't heard anything better that the French knight in Monty Python's "Holy Grail".

(Of course, if I were in Frank Dixon's Manolo Blahniks, I'd send Ben a whole damn library just to be rid of him.)

http://www.manoloblahnik.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
      and how is all this horsetalk.com and dogtalk.com posting helping Ben get his book?
      Where ever Ben writes, I'm sure the book is in the mail.

Ben understands off topic stuff. He made it so difficult to carry on any kind of discussion in the Depression thread I've given up adding to it.

Aren't you they guy who told me there wouldn't be so much as a recession in Canada? Even PM Harper has seen the light. He formed a coalition with the Liberals. Harper supplies the support for the unemployed workers and the Liberals support him. More to the point, Harper shovels it and Iggy eats it.

Unfortunately, the leader I like the best, Gilles Duceppe, doesn't have a candidate in my riding.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I did and one reason I did so was government spending, which has happened.

I haven't seen the depression deeper much in Canda, we seem to have avoided most of it so far.

Comment

I haven't seen the depression deeper much in Canda, we seem to have avoided most of it so far.
          I suppose the effects of the current situation depends if a person works for the government or in private enterprise or has lost his/her job to the financial crisis.

In a way, I share your outlook. I almost always had Super Seniority, like I suspect you do. Do they still call it that? The bad times always effected the other guy.

Do you know the difference between an investment banker and a pizza? A pizza can feed a family of 4.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
            Got a black coat. It's pretty slick. I wear it while watching movies in a theatre.
            You watch movies? Pretty lame. I prefer to experience cinema.
            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
              Have you heard from that pribbling, bat-fowling, maggot-pie yet?
              No, not yet. However, this thread is Google's seventh result for searching "frank dixon chess". Good times.

Do not fear. I will get my book. I always get my book.

P.S. Nice signature.
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                You've probably read about my dog Beware.
                I AM your dog, Beware.

On a less serious note, have you heard the Sparklehorse album, It's A Wonderful Life? Sometimes, I like to listen to this album in dark solitude, consumed by a look of acquiescence, totally unmoving other than the occasionally flip of a bang away from my eyes. The ability to do this is the primary reason I stopped shaving my head.

Comment

You have not even seen an Asano movie. YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED NOTHING.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                    I had three dogs.

The first one I named "Tax" - everytime I opened the door - in come Tax.

The second one I named "Hickory" - he had a rough bark.

The third one I named "Street Vendor" - he did his business on the sidewalk.
                    I named my wife's cat 'boots' for obvious reasons

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                      Dixon, on July 30, 2007, you posted a chess trivia contest on ChessTalk. The questions were as follows:

1) Who is the highest-rated player to be paired UP in the first round of any Canadian Open during the past 12 years (including 1996-2007)?
                      2) What was that player's rating at that time?
                      3) Who did that paired-up player face?
                      4) Which Canadian Open did this occur at?
                      5) How did the paired-up player do in the game?

You stated that the first person to send you the correct answers by email would receive a prize: a book of his choice from the CFC store.

I sent you the correct answers. You informed me of this, and asked me what book I would like. You said that another person had sent in his solution just after me, and you would award him a prize as well, but would wait to post it until after we both told you what books we selected. I selected Chess Bitch by Jennifer Shahade. It had a nice pink cover.

A week went by and you did not make another post about the matter on ChessTalk. I posted an inquiry in response to your initial post. Other people queried, as well, as they evidently were curious about the results, but you responded to no one. I sent you an email; you did not respond.

Several months ago, I posted in one of your threads on ChessTalk, asking you why you had never sent me the book. Other posters stated that it was irresonspible and dishonest on your part to not send me the book after having said that you would. You then responded saying that you had merely forgot, and that you would send me the book right away. I thanked you and assumed you would.

I did not receive the book. A few months later, on the OCC website, I asked you about the book again. You did not respond to my post.

So, Dixon, did you ever intend on sending me the book, or did you simply wish to give the illusion that you were running and offering a prize for a contest? Was your attempt to trick the public into thinking that you were contributing more to the Canadian chess scene than you actually were?

Certainly, you have an obligation to send me my God damn book.
                      Ben,

I am disappointed you are trying to resolve your dispute with Frank Dixon in this fashion. Frank's a reasonable fellow, have you tried calling him to sort it out?

Alex
                      OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
                      http://www.ozchess.com

Comment

I'm actually hoping to leave my employer within a year to a year and a half to start as an articling student at a CA firm. I am finishing my 4th year courses at Ryerson in order to do so. That's how concerned I am with super seniority, which yes I do have after 18 years of service and by virtue of being a union steward. I plan to withdraw my OMERS pension fund and then manage this investment myself.

I am confident that the economy will hold up & that I will be able to pass the UFE final 3 day exam to earn my qualifications.

Currently CA firms are quite busy and there is a shortage of good CA students. As one CA told me accountants track both earnings and losses, good times and bad times. Accounting is one of the professions listed as being in demand along with IT and engineering.

It's about time I stop being paid from the taxpayer and start contributing to the private sector.

Comment

I'm actually hoping to leave my employer within a year to a year and a half to start as an articling student at a CA firm. I am finishing my 4th year courses at Ryerson in order to do so. That's how concerned I am with super seniority, which yes I do have after 18 years of service and by virtue of being a union steward. I plan to withdraw my OMERS pension fund and then manage this investment myself.

I am confident that the economy will hold up & that I will be able to pass the UFE final 3 day exam to earn my qualifications.

Currently CA firms are quite busy and there is a shortage of good CA students. As one CA told me accountants track both earnings and losses, good times and bad times. Accounting is one of the professions listed as being in demand along with IT and engineering.

It's about time I stop being paid from the taxpayer and start contributing to the private sector.
                          While contributing to the private sector is commendable, the government has to pay people to do the public sector work. Why shouldn't it be you? Doesn't your employer use the services of CA's?

I might kid about super seniority but there isn't anything wrong with it. I had it when I was an elected official many years ago. Also when I was a union steward for decades. I had the most department seniority and think they wanted me to be the steward so it wouldn't upset the order of the seniority of the other guys in the department. Not that anyone got laid off or fired. Not once in all the decades.

Good luck with the CA thing. I hope you have a better handle on the economy than I do. Really, I do hope that. You have some catching up to do. :)
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

My employer may use outside auditors that are CAs but they don't employ any CAs directly, only CGAs & CMAs, our internal auditor is a CGA or CMA and a certified internal auditor CIA I also would not be able to get an accouting designation while employed for city for a very long time as it would take that amount of time to get senior enough experience through our job posting system. I much prefer to work in a public accounting function, providing services to clients than doing accounting for the city. You get to see much more, many more businesses and clients. Initially I'm going to be taking a pay cut until I pass my professional exams. I'm sticking around to see what happens in a year and to pay all of my bills off & square away with everyone before the pay drop.

Here is one economic downturn sign for you, apparently Tim Hortons is not desperate to hire people anymore & those that work there are not getting full hours in some cases. Also Starbucks is laying off, although I haven't got confirmation of either thing. Not a sign of the end times maybe but a sign of the downturn.

Comment

How about now? Any word from that onion-eyed, pox-marked moldwarp yet?
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Toolsie View Post
                                Ben,

I am disappointed you are trying to resolve your dispute with Frank Dixon in this fashion. Frank's a reasonable fellow, have you tried calling him to sort it out?

Alex
                                In what fashion? Your posts make no sense. Simmer down. I emailed him and he didn't respond. Did I call long distance on my cell phone to a NUMBER I DON'T EVEN HAVE? No, I didn't. Australia sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X