X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlsen - new World Champion!

World Chess Championship 2013

Viswanathan Anand vs Magnus Carlsen
    The World Chess Championship Match 2013 will consist of 12 games and, if necessary, tie-break games.

The FIDE World Chess Match will be played according to the schedule below in November 2013:

The schedule:

Dates.........Events...Time

07.11.2013 Opening Ceremony 04.00.P.M. Tentatively

09.11.2013 .Game 1 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)
    10.11..2013 Game 2 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)

11.11.2013 Rest Day
    12.11.2013 Game 3 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)
    13.11.2013 Game 4 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)

14.11.2013 Rest Day
    15.11.2013 Game 5 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)
    16.11.2013 Game 6 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)

17.11.2013 Rest Day
    18.11.2013 Game 7 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)
    19.11.2013 Game 8 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)

20.11.2013 Rest Day
    21.11.2013 Game 9 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)
    22.11.2013 Game 10 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)

23.11.2013 Rest Day
    24.11.2013 Game 11 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)

25.11.2013 Rest Day
    26.11.2013 Game 12 03.00.P.M. (Indian Time)

27.11.2013 Rest Day
    28.11.2013 Tie Break Games To be decided
    28.11.2013 Closing Ceremony To be decided

See:

http://www.worldchesschampionship201...atch-2013.html

http://chennai2013.fide.com/wp-conte.../FWCM20131.pdf

Re: World Chess Championship 2013

Thanks to Wayne for posting the details of the match.

I am thinking that GM Carlsen will win, but it may be closer than many people think. In a relatively short match, GM Anand's experience at the very top level will count for more, as Carlsen will not have that much time to get used to the pressure. GM Anand will likely play to 'dry out the match', obtain a number of easy draws early on, and place the stakes on the later games. He has used this tactic before, with success. Look for GM arlsen to acquiesce to a couple of early draws, then try to take the battle to GM Anand. If the match were to be the best of 24 games, then I think GM Carlsen would be an overwhelming favourite to win, given his spread in age (23 to 44) and large rating advantage (close to 100 points). In a 12-game match, it could be much closer. GM Carlsen by 7-5 is my prediction.

Comment

Interestingly, Karpov recently said that it could be considered a joke that a (WC) match that typically took him 70 days or so is now reduced to 20 days. Everything is compressed into a shorter time frame.

I just hope whoever wins, wins in the regular time control portion of the match. Who wants a WC to be determined by, for example, an Armageddon game? ugh.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

EST Start Time: World Chess Championship 2013

For those of us world time zone challenged, 3:00 pm Indian time, is what time EST here in Toronto? Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Re: EST Start Time: World Chess Championship 2013

4:30 am same date

Comment

I make it that Chennai is 5.5 hours ahead of Greenwich and it is 5 hours ahead of us, so the games start here at 4:30 a.m. in the Montreal/Toronto zone.

You can watch the endgame while you have breakfast.

This is all subject to correction!

Comment

Hi Dilip:

Your son continues to improve!

Thanks. Just got the same answer over on FB on the Cooperative Chess Coalition chess discussion page.

Bob

Comment

Hi Wayne:

Thanks - got the same conclusion from Dilip Panjwani (above) and on the Cooperative Chess Coalition FB chess discussion page.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                  I make it that Chennai is 5.5 hours ahead of Greenwich and it is 5 hours ahead of us, so the games start here at 4:30 a.m. in the Montreal/Toronto zone.

You can watch the endgame while you have breakfast.

This is all subject to correction!
                  Am I the only one who is going to change his sleep schedule to watch a live stream of the match?

And on that point does anyone know a good place to watch the game live?
                  University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

I like whoever plays black in the first game. This hasn't been determined yet.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

There is supposed to be streaming video at:

http://chennai2013.fide.com/

Chessbomb is good for just the games + kibitzing comments:

http://chessbomb.com/

Comment

I will follow the match, however not live. Probably the quality of the games and the ideas introduced will make the match a memorable one. I expect fight from the beginning to the end from both players. This is a very different matchup as compared to Anand - Gelfand. I do not believe Anand is interested in ELO points, so the 100 points in rating is not relevant. Also, the match being played in India makes the whole thing even more special. Who will win? I will take Anand because I believe his playing style is more complex and his wisdom will help to find the right way to play Carlsen.

Comment

There is a very entertaining Couch Potato’s Guide to Anand-Carlsen World Champs by GM Ian Rogers at:

http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12405/729/

He tells you what Indian food to snack on while watching the games and mentions these commentaries:

The Chennai organisers have gone with Susan Polgar and Laurence Trent as their primary commentators. While obviously less able to comment on the subtleties of the game compared to the star English language commentators of Moscow 2012 - Kramnik, Svidler and Leko in particular - these two showed at the recent Tromso World Cup that they were genuine chess fans and worked well together.

Expect the always-entertaining Garry Kasparov to drop by for a chat when he visits Chennai.

Playchess, will offer commentary in four languages, with the most experienced commentator in the world, Leontxo Garcia, as the Spanish host. As expected, easy-listening GMs Yasser Seirawan and Daniel King will be the trans-Atlantic anchors for Playchess's English language commentary, with guests including Alejandro Ramirez and, notably, French star Maxime Vachier Lagrave for game 10.

Internet Chess Club, at one time the undisputed king of chess commentary and still a reliable option, will be covering the World Championship games in English and Spanish and using a wider variety of commentators than Playchess. Most are from the US - including veterans Christiansen, Yermolinsky and Fedorowicz. However the line-up also includes one-night-only appearances by The Week in Chess' Mark Crowther and other Englishmen Jon Speelman and Daniel King. (Yes, King and Seirawan will moonlight for ICC on an off day from Playchess!). Sadly Peter Svidler's Russian team commitments in November do not allow him to join the ICC team.

After the Games

As soon as the games finish, the two players will be ushered into a press conference, which should be viewable on the official match site as it happens.

Chess.com are expecting few US fans to watch the games live from early morning and so have planned a 2 hour post-game show, using the skills of ChessVibes’ Peter Doggers to provide video and other colour.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                            Interestingly, Karpov recently said that it could be considered a joke that a (WC) match that typically took him 70 days or so is now reduced to 20 days. Everything is compressed into a shorter time frame.

I just hope whoever wins, wins in the regular time control portion of the match. Who wants a WC to be determined by, for example, an Armageddon game? ugh.

Agreed, it is far better to watch them blunder in regular time control than in fast time control.
                            Only the rushing is heard...
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

With respect to a possible tie-break, it seems to me that the challenger should have to beat the champion and that a tied match should go to Anand. This puts the onus on the challenger to play for the win. But, if a series of faster and faster tie-break games is to be used, then I think it may have been Jean Hebert who stated that they should play the tie-break before the regular games, and not after. I agree with this completely, because it would force someone to play to win the match.

Comment

Working...
                              X