Kevin Spraggett on Chess - ( his blog )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kevin Spraggett on Chess - ( his blog )

Originally posted by Anthony Cheron View Post
    New material! [/url]
    "Andrew Soltis, in his authoritive work Soviet Chess 1917-1991 wrote: ''After Spassky lost a highly publicized game to the American William Lombardy on first board in the 1960 Student Olympiad he was left off the 1961 team and was eventually suspended from foreign travel three times...a typical Sports Committee humiliation... 'My nervous energy was completely destroyed for three years.'' Spassky said of this period.'''"
    During that nervous period (1960-1963), Spassky won:
    USSR semi-final (1960)
    USSR championship (1961)
    USSR championship (shared, 1963).

Good-bad nervous

Comment

Re: CFC Progress

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      I evaluate it a bit differently. My subjective gradings gives them low marks on promoting chess and on selling memberships.

If they were better at those two small things, would all those things you mentioned have been necessary?

For a country Canada's size, second largest in geographic area in the world and encompassing six time zones, I am quite impressed by all that is being done by three part-time employees. Chess promotion has always worked best at the grass-roots level and selling memberships is a direct offshoot of that. There are pockets of intense chess activity in various cities in Canada and it all comes down to grassroots volunteers who present the game to the public through chess classes, displays, simuls, and tournament organization, etc.

Comment

Re: CFC Progress

Originally posted by Howard Streit View Post
        For a country Canada's size, second largest in geographic area in the world and encompassing six time zones, I am quite impressed by all that is being done by three part-time employees. Chess promotion has always worked best at the grass-roots level and selling memberships is a direct offshoot of that. There are pockets of intense chess activity in various cities in Canada and it all comes down to grassroots volunteers who present the game to the public through chess classes, displays, simuls, and tournament organization, etc.
        Don't be guessing at full and part time employees and salaries. Go here for the filings.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/haip/s...ype=Registered

Type in chess for the organization, click on the right one, and check out the filings for the organization.

Would you tell me something so I'll know? Why would people do all those things you suggest for free (volunteers work for free in my world) when there is so much money floating around in chess?
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

New material!
          This week: even more great articles from Kevin Spraggett.

GM Yuri Averbak ( endings R+3P vs B+3P )

Louis Paulsen - The father of modern opening theory ( life and games )

+ Daily chess puzzles ( Sam Loyd )

I would like to mention that all of Spraggett's biographys are beautifully illustrated with photographs and chess diagrams ( diagrams often with directional arrows to show movement ). Compare with the CFC'S featured articles where there are no photographs at all, games are found by clicking links to other pages and chess diagrams ( if any ) are in blue and white. --------Just to point out the quality of Spraggett's work!

And of course more great humour from Canada's best.

Tasks by level of difficulty (scale 1 to 10):

level 8: (balancing at great heights)

level 10: (balancing the CFC books/budget)

Comment

--------Just to point out the quality of Spraggett's work!
            He could reduce the size of the main page. It is
            Code:
            toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
            long :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              He could reduce the size of the main page. It is
              Code:
              toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
              long :D

The newer material is at the top , so unless you like a particular article you don't have to search far for what you haven't read. It will be interesting to see if KS will delete older material to keep the blog from getting too lengthy.
              Last edited by Anthony Cheron; Wednesday, 11th February, 2009, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Does he still get an honourary membership from the CFC? :)
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The newer material is at the top , so unless you like a particular article you don't have to search far for what you haven't read. It will be interesting to see if KS will delete older material to keep the blog from getting too lengthy.
                  Blogspot should have an option to reduce the size of the article posted on the main page, e.g., show only the into or the first paragraph.

Cool picture related to current weather conditions
                  http://kkgktop.blogspot.com
                  Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Wednesday, 11th February, 2009, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Does he still get an honourary membership from the CFC? :)
                    I think, it does not require renewal, thus he is a CFC FIDE Title Honorary Member.

Comment

Today Spraggetts' blog focuses on Canada's first GM:

Abe Yanofsky: A Canadian legend

A remarkable article outlining Yanofsky's rise from a child prodigy to strongest player in the Commonwealth. Once again, a well illustrated work ( 18 photos of the players of the time ) as well as Spraggett's analysis of some of the best games that Yanofsky played.

Spraggett gained valuable information from Yanofsky as a friend.

" When I first met Abe at the Canadian Championship in Calgary 1975, I enjoyed discussing chess history with him. Abe was able to give first hand accounts of personalities that I previously could only read of in texts. His pleasant personality and natural friendliness will always be remembered fondly by this writer. He encouraged me. "

And of course more jokes and tag lines from Canada's best.

Why the CFC failed

( every year they blame it on .......... The President )
                      Last edited by Anthony Cheron; Saturday, 14th February, 2009, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Two more great articles:

(Chess in Cuba --- CHE and CASTRO)

DR. TARRASCH: THE GREAT TEACHER

GM Kevin Spraggett really puts together a great essay on Tarrasch. 22 photographs! An incredible story about a great teacher at the turn of the century and the history of the period.

And of course the finest in humour from Canada's finest.

''Balancing the CFC budget : too little , too late''

Link: http://kevinspraggett.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think that a healthy criticism is great especially where one offers constructive advice as an alternative to the current situation. Bob Armstrong's grass roots initiative for change is an example. Is Kevin being constructive or is he just taking gratuitous pot shots at an organization he no longer has any real stake in? Personally I find his "humor" offensive.

Comment

Perhaps he is just calling it as he sees it... his criticism of the 'grass roots' (ie Toronto gang) is one of them. Personally I like his humor.

If you think that is insulting, look at his Chess federations as icebergs, I just about fell out of my chair.

Comment

Two more great articles from the pen of Kevin Spraggett:

Reflections on the 'database' generation explores the use of databases both by beginners and masters. Kevin looks at Lasker's original thoughts on the matter ie., can a player become a master simply by studying compilations? Kevin then takes this a step further by examining the use of databases by masters.

Cheating in the chess world? Old hat. An amazingly relevant topic!
                              Why has the CFC not done a thing about cheating! Kevin explores the various methods of cheating ie, electronic devices, organizer's favoritism, use of non-standard pairing systems, etc.

'The quick rise of interest in youth chess has been matched by a parallel and simultaneous increase in corruption within the Canadian chess community.'

And of course, more great humour from Canada's finest GM.

Maturing can be a painful experience (wait until he finds out that the CFC is also dead !)

Link: http://kevinspraggett.blogspot.com/
                              Warning:some may find the humour disturbing. Rated R

Comment

Why has the CFC not done a thing about cheating!
                                What was so wrong in 2004? Probably all discussion was buried in old chesstalk

Comment

Working...
                                X