Kevin Spraggett on Chess - ( his blog )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kevin Spraggett on Chess - ( his blog )

Peter Biyiasas lives in California. He started a software company called Delphi something (not the famous Delphi). He and Ruth have at least two kids. There was a Theodore Biyiasas in a USCF-rated event in San Francisco not so long ago. Probably an offspring, as Peter was an only son and the surname is unusual--a Canadianization of his original (Greek) surname.

I'm sorry, I have been unable to get in touch with Peter for a few years. See also retinitis pigmentosa.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
      Peter Biyiasas lives in California. He started a software company called Delphi something (not the famous Delphi). He and Ruth have at least two kids. There was a Theodore Biyiasas in a USCF-rated event in San Francisco not so long ago. Probably an offspring, as Peter was an only son and the surname is unusual--a Canadianization of his original (Greek) surname.

I'm sorry, I have been unable to get in touch with Peter for a few years. See also retinitis pigmentosa.
      I came across this blog: http://www.danamackenzie.com/blog/ which talks briefly about Theo Biyiasis as Peter Biyiasis's son and gives the following game. Some further googling led me to your post !

[Event "Adults Open"]
      [Site "?"]
      [Date "2009.10.04"]
      [Round "?"]
      [White "Biyiasis, Theo"]
      [Black "Nelson, Terry"]
      [Result "1-0"]
      [ECO "C18"]
      [Annotator "Freak"]
      [PlyCount "39"]
      [EventDate "2009.??.??"]
      [TimeControl "1800"]

{48MB, Book.ctg, JOE-SZQFC6G4X9N} 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e5 c5 5. a3
      Bxc3+ 6. bxc3 Ne7 7. f4 Nbc6 8. Nf3 Nf5 9. Bd3 c4 (9... cxd4 10. cxd4 Ncxd4 11.
      Nxd4 Nxd4 12. O-O Nf5 13. Rb1) 10. Bxf5 exf5 11. a4 Be6 12. Ba3 Qa5 13. Kd2
      O-O-O 14. Qb1 h6 15. Qb5 Qc7 16. Bd6 Qd7 (16... Rxd6 17. exd6 Qxd6 18. Ne5 $14)
      17. Rab1 f6 18. Rb2 g5 19. Rhb1 Rh7 20. Qa6 1-0

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        Hi Anthony,

This may be Kevin's opinion and you may share it, but I don't. The move by Hal Bond to get Bob Gillanders on board was excellent. Then David came along and he, in collaboration with Bob, are tackling the difficult issues one by one. You have very bright, qualified individuals who are running things today. What more do you want?

You know, it is always easy to criticize. The problems and challenges for the organization have been on the table for a number of years now....finally some very competent people have stepped forward and are working hard to make a difference.

I think they deserve our support and cheap shots are really just that...cheap!

Sans rancune (No offense intended),

Larry
        Very well said! The CFC now has to dig itself out of a very deep hole and there is just no point in criticizing the people who are trying to do this, especially since they were not the ones who caused the problems.

Also sans rancune!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          [White "Biyiasas, Theo"]
          [Black "Nelson, Terry"]
          That's funny. There was a Terry Nelson, chessplayer, in Seattle, back in the day. Daddy might well have played him. Peter played in about ten events a year in Seattle, and Terry Nelson was strong enough to be paired against him in various rounds of a tournament. Was there a psychological element to the victory?

Nice finish to the game. You and I saw it from the diagram in a few seconds, but Peter would have seen it long in advance. He definitely liked those sorts of static attack.

Theo's mom is Ruth Haring, who has played in the US Women's Championship. Good genes.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Bokhout View Post
            Very well said! The CFC now has to dig itself out of a very deep hole and there is just no point in criticizing the people who are trying to do this, especially since they were not the ones who caused the problems.
            Now that the CFC is/has been in critical condition for a while of course "there is just no point in criticizing the people who are trying to..."
            But when the CFC was going OK (relatively speaking) the main line was "there is just no point in criticizing the people who took an executive position, nobody else would..."
            And more recently about the Canadian Closed: "there is just no point in criticizing the organizer, he took on the task at the last minute when nobody else would".
            It seems that there is just no good time to provide comments, suggestions or any kind of advice that could somehow be taken as dreadful criticism. The fact is that most people in chess would rather die before consulting or take advice from people who might come up with anything but praise for what they do or want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              Now that the CFC is/has been in critical condition for a while of course "there is just no point in criticizing the people who are trying to..."
              But when the CFC was going OK (relatively speaking) the main line was "there is just no point in criticizing the people who took an executive position, nobody else would..."
              And more recently about the Canadian Closed: "there is just no point in criticizing the organizer, he took on the task at the last minute when nobody else would".
              It seems that there is just no good time to provide comments, suggestions or any kind of advice that could somehow be taken as dreadful criticism. The fact is that most people in chess would rather die before consulting or take advice from people who might come up with anything but praise for what they do or want to do.
              Whatsa matter, Jean, your consulting gigs drying up? You're a voice crying in the wilderness?

More like a baby crying for attention.

Even legitimate criticism can be misdirected. Be a man instead of a baby, own up to your mistakes.
              Only the rushing is heard...
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post

Even legitimate criticism can be misdirected. Be a man instead of a baby, own up to your mistakes.
                I figure he's "in the zone". Playing good chess with the desire to win.

When I was organizing, I always said a guy who wouldn't stand up for himself, fight for his rights and complain about what he thought was wrong, was no good to the organization on the teams.

Most good organizers and arbiters understand this and act accordingly.

If you were a top player you would understand that.

Like they say in hockey. If you can't beat them in the alley, you won't beat them on the ice.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                X