We have entered the Carlsen era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have entered the Carlsen era

We have entered the Carlsen era of chess. Last few weeks of 2013, 2014 and hopefully at least 10 years into the future. The legacy of the Kasparov years (Kramnik and Anand entered as grandmasters in those years and challenged Kasparov and became World Champions) is over. Congratulations Magnus Carlsen, 16th classical World Champion! A new chess generation has begun.

Re: We have entered the Carlsen era

Hi Hans. Maybe 150 years from now people will ask, "What's your Carlsen number?"

Speaking of numbers, I wonder if Mr. Ronean got his Morphy number of 2 by playing Bird? I recall Jack mentioning that he did some time in the trenches during WWI and I think Bird lived until 1908/09 (?). Maybe as a young teen Jack played Bird in a simul thus earning his M-2. What are your recollections?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Well I knew he had played Blackburne, Capa, and Alekhine in simuls and Jacque Mieses was his quasi - hero mentor but those are all Morphy 2's I believe. I dont recall who his Morphy 1 was but let me due some thinking on that and get back to you. His story about urinating on the grave of his doctor who originally predicted six months to live and his being banned from the LTC at age 93 for pinching the bottom of a robust young female Western student stick in my mind, all else pales by comparison (or maybe its just the mood Im in today).

Comment

Personally I hope one or two others (but not more) scale the ELO charts to create a major rivalry. I'd like to see a Mikhail Tal undermine Carlsen's position, and Carlsen miraculously salvage the game - but sometimes fail, and sometimes turn the tables.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
          Personally I hope one or two others (but not more) scale the ELO charts to create a major rivalry. I'd like to see a Mikhail Tal undermine Carlsen's position, and Carlsen miraculously salvage the game - but sometimes fail, and sometimes turn the tables.
          I have a feeling that might describe Hikaru Nakamura ... :)

I think a match between them for the W.C. would be like a Transformers movie or X-men.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

who are Carlsen's seconds? did he ever mention their names?
            I think Carlsen is great, but his seconds did a even better job in this WCC against Anand

Comment

Originally posted by Neal Pan View Post
              who are Carlsen's seconds? did he ever mention their names?
              I think Carlsen is great, but his seconds did a even better job in this WCC against Anand
              He declined to name anyone other than Jon Ludvig Hammer ( a long time friend of his )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Ludvig_Hammer

Hammer was not even in Chennai until after the match ended! They collaborated via Skype during the match.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I consider Magnus's father to be his best second. The way he managed his son's career up to this point is outstanding. Having no "big school" to support him during the past 10 years but only a clever father, it is an aspect that should inspire many. Even Anand's story is similar in this respect, but not sure how much his parents were involved and who helped the young Anand. The new era begun with Anand, and is continued by Carlsen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  He declined to name anyone other than Jon Ludvig Hammer ( a long time friend of his )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Ludvig_Hammer

Hammer was not even in Chennai until after the match ended! They collaborated via Skype during the match.
                  Thanks. But we all knew about Hammer. There gotta be someone else in his seconds who knows Vishy's better right? (I would assume?)

Comment

One of the viewers on the ChessVibes forum said this:

According to the Anand camp, Carlsen's seconds were (the ones they know): Fressinet + Nepo + Hammer. Computer analyzing was from experts of high tech firm "Basefarm" in Oslo with special computers and special software.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                      One of the viewers on the ChessVibes forum said this:

According to the Anand camp, Carlsen's seconds were (the ones they know): Fressinet + Nepo + Hammer. Computer analyzing was from experts of high tech firm "Basefarm" in Oslo with special computers and special software.
                      Good to know. Thanks~

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        I have a feeling that might describe Hikaru Nakamura ... :)
                        I think a match between them for the W.C. would be like a Transformers movie or X-men.
                        My money is on... Ultra Magnus! :)

Comment

There is a video of Magnus Carlsen playing blitz with Laurent Fressinet entitled “Too Weak, Too Slow”, which some claim is a training session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY27lgnPKWI

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfbpC3dQWw I particularly like this one where Magnus shows his stuff to the young kids. What a great example he is!

Comment

The 'Financial Times' features our man Magnus and is an excellent read.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d4a7bf76-7...#axzz2pp6xmeRI

Comment

Working...
                              X