Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We have entered the Carlsen era

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    The 'Financial Times' features our man Magnus and is an excellent read.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d4a7bf76-7...#axzz2pp6xmeRI
    The link doesn't work

Comment

The link works for a second or two and then a box comes on asking you to sign up for Financial Times access. I signed up for the free access. The whole process took about five minutes.

The last part of the article talks about business and chess:

The desire to win, combined with the analytical nature of chess, clearly resonates with the financial industry.

Gaute Ulltveit-Moe, partner at Arctic Securities, a brokerage firm that organised the London event*, says the association with the world champion had brought the firm new clients. “People have called saying, ‘I see you sponsor Magnus Carlsen; I want to do business with you’. ”

* A 19-player simul in London’s financial district last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
        The link works for a second or two and then a box comes on asking you to sign up for Financial Times access. I signed up for the free access. The whole process took about five minutes.
        It's much quicker just to answer their one question. That takes less than 5 seconds (:

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
          Personally I hope one or two others (but not more) scale the ELO charts to create a major rivalry. I'd like to see a Mikhail Tal undermine Carlsen's position, and Carlsen miraculously salvage the game - but sometimes fail, and sometimes turn the tables.
          It now appears that Caruana has granted your wish, Alan, a good deal sooner than any of us could have anticipated (:

Given Caruana is the very paradigm of the computer age with his deep home prep, and Carlsen fancies himself the anti-computer guy, the rivalry should prove to be highly intriguing. 'DeadSpin' highlights this very aspect of Carlsen in a Dave McKenna feature.

http://deadspin.com/the-most-compell...her-1627069245

Comment

Working...
          X