Strongest Chess Playing Siblings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strongest Chess Playing Siblings?

It would appear we had a little chess history in Beijing today. The Muzychuk sisters finally had their first decisive sibling result in R16 of the World Mind Game 2014 Blitz Women. According to chessgames.com, they had drawn their 3 previous Classic and 2 Rapid encounters, all in 25 moves or less (25, 21, 21, 13, 9), but today they played for real and Anna prevailed in 25 moves.

And on a grander non sibling scale, Yifan Hou is dominating the event and has tacked on 42.6 points to cross the 2700 threshold at 2704.6. She's leaving Fabiano Caruana, rated 2679 at Blitz, in her rear view mirror (:

Comment

It would appear we had a little chess history in Beijing today. The Muzychuk sisters finally had their first decisive sibling result in R16 of the World Mind Game 2014 Blitz Women. According to chessgames.com, they had drawn their 3 previous Classic and 2 Rapid encounters, all in 25 moves or less (25, 21, 21, 13, 9), but today they played for real and Anna prevailed in 25 moves.

And on a grander non sibling scale, Yifan Hou is dominating the event and has tacked on 42.6 points to cross the 2700 threshold at 2704.6. She's leaving Fabiano Caruana, rated 2679 at Blitz, in her rear view mirror (:

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        I remember a year when Abe and Harry Yanofsky played in the Manitoba Open. Unless my memory is playing tricks.
        Maybe you're thinking of the 63 Canadian Closed?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
          While on the interesting topic of chess-playing families, are there many chess-playing couples (married or otherwise)? The only one that immediately comes to mind is Canada's Nava and Sasha Starr, who have recently both played in a tournament again. Many years ago, there was Lawrence Day and his then-wife Angela- both members of Canada's Olympiad teams. Also I recall Kevin Spraggett dating another member of the Canadian women's team for a while. Internationally, there's Pia Cramling of Sweden and her Spanish GM husband, Juan Bellon- the strongest chess couple, maybe? I recall reading about other top woman players being married to competitive chess players, but the names escape me now.
          Names that shouldn't escape you are Goran Milicevic and Natalia Khoudgarian, and Vojin and Smilja Vujosevic

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
            While on the interesting topic of chess-playing families, are there many chess-playing couples (married or otherwise)? The only one that immediately comes to mind is Canada's Nava and Sasha Starr, who have recently both played in a tournament again. Many years ago, there was Lawrence Day and his then-wife Angela- both members of Canada's Olympiad teams. Also I recall Kevin Spraggett dating another member of the Canadian women's team for a while. Internationally, there's Pia Cramling of Sweden and her Spanish GM husband, Juan Bellon- the strongest chess couple, maybe? I recall reading about other top woman players being married to competitive chess players, but the names escape me now.
            Kevin may or may not have been involved with Vesma but he certainly married a member of the Portugal women team who he met in Dubai in 86, which is why he lives in Portugal.

Comment

Of course Peter Biyiasis and Ruth Haring. And after the 1971 World Students Championship in Mayaquez, Puerto Rico, there was an open tournament in San Juan where Duncan Suttles and Bruce Amos played. And Dobrilla Suttles also played and scored 50%! She knew enough chess to get acceptable positions and then offered draws which were accepted. I don't remember if I heard that account from Bruce or from the Suttles, but they did stop in Toronto on their way back and stayed with me for a few days.

Comment

If it was held in Winnipeg the time period would be right. I recall Howard Rideout playing but can't recall if both Abe and Harry played in that one. Howard was a strong player in his younger years.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

1963 - both Yanofskys played.

Code:
                  CAN-ch Winnipeg CAN  1963

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 
                  1   Yanofsky,Abe     * ½ 1 1 ½ 1 1 1 ½ 1 1 1 1 1 ½ 1  13.0/15
                  2   Vranesic,Zvonko  ½ * 0 1 ½ ½ 1 1 ½ 1 ½ 1 1 1 1 1  11.5/15
                  3   Macskasy,Elod    0 1 * 0 1 ½ ½ 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1  10.0/15
                  4   Fuster,Geza      0 0 1 * ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 1 1 0 1 1 ½ 1   9.5/15  62.25
                  5   Joyner,Lionel    ½ ½ 0 ½ * 0 ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 1 ½ 1 1 1   9.5/15  60.25
                  6   Lipnowski,Irwin  0 ½ ½ ½ 1 * ½ ½ ½ 0 ½ 1 1 ½ 1 1   9.0/15
                  7   Witt,Laszlo      0 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ * ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 1 1   8.5/15
                  8   Kalotay,Andrew   0 0 1 ½ ½ ½ ½ * ½ ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 ½ ½   8.0/15  53.00
                  9   Suttles,Duncan   ½ ½ 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ * ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 1 1   8.0/15  48.75
                  10  Yanofsky,Harry   0 0 0 0 ½ 1 ½ ½ ½ * ½ 1 1 0 1 1   7.5/15
                  11  Vaitonis,Paul    0 ½ 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ * 1 ½ 0 1 1   6.5/15
                  12  Hoover,Walter    0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 * ½ ½ 1 ½   4.5/15  28.50
                  13  Hirsch,Robert    0 0 0 0 ½ 0 ½ ½ ½ 0 ½ ½ * 1 ½ 0   4.5/15  28.25
                  14  Allan,Denis      0 0 0 0 0 ½ 0 0 0 1 1 ½ 0 * ½ ½   4.0/15
                  15  Schulman,Mark    ½ 0 0 ½ 0 0 0 ½ 0 0 0 0 ½ ½ * 1   3.5/15
                  16  Patrick,Alex     0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ½ 0 0 0 ½ 1 ½ 0 *   2.5/15

Comment

I'm having a hard time remembering that event. It might have taken place when I was working with a utility in the northern part of the province.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

FYI, in 1996, after Harry passed away and before Abe did, we had several Harry Yanofsky Memorial chess tournaments in Winnipeg. As Exclam! editor I wrote a few articles about him, but I would have to look at them again to remember much of what I wrote. There is an issue with Harry's photo on the cover. [Of course there is at least one with Abe's photo - see here on my blog.]

I think Harry won the City of Winnipeg championship in the 30's or 40's at least once. I don't know when the ELO rating system began to be applied, but it may be difficult to compare playing strengths without it.

After Abe passed away in 2000, the premier chess event in Winnipeg was, thereafter, the Abe Yanofsky Memorial. It still is.
                      Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 15th December, 2014, 01:05 PM. Reason: Abe's photo
                      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post

I think Harry won the City of Winnipeg championship in the 30's or 40's at least once. I don't know when the ELO rating system began to be applied, but it may be difficult to compare playing strengths without it.
                        I won the City of Winnipeg in 1963 and still have the trophy and certificate. I can't recall ELO ratings back then. After that I think I only played a couple of events until a Canadian Open in 1968. Way too busy getting married and starting a family.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          I won the City of Winnipeg in 1963 and still have the trophy and certificate. I can't recall ELO ratings back then. After that I think I only played a couple of events until a Canadian Open in 1968. Way too busy getting married and starting a family.
                          Hi Gary:

1968 was the one at U of T wasn't it? I played in it.....remember staying in one of the residences (my memory good on this one?). Was my second CO (first was, I believe in 1966 in Kingston.....that right?).

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            Hi Gary:

1968 was the one at U of T wasn't it? I played in it.....remember staying in one of the residences (my memory good on this one?). Was my second CO (first was, I believe in 1966 in Kingston.....that right?).

Bob A
                            Yes, 1968 Canadian Open was at Hart House... not sure about the one before.

I found the crosstables from the 1968 and 1970 CO on my home machine... inspecting the file indicates that I downloaded it from:

http://www3.telus.net/public/swright2/canop6870.html

(and INDEED the crosstables are still there! This is part of an archive maintained by Stephen Wright in B.C. - publisher of the BCCF bulletin...)

If you check that crosstable for 1968 there is an "Armstrong" from Sarnia who scored 5.5 and ended up in 86th place...
                            [ I vivdly recall losing to Vranesic in Round 1 and never really recovering from that - lol - I ended up with 4.5 and 115th place ]
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The old site is still there, but new materials are only being added at http://bcchesshistory.com/. Nearly all the Canadian Open crosstables can be found using the link on the home page - coincidentally I only added 1988 and 1989 this morning. These same crosstables are also on the CFC site, although maybe a bit harder to find unless you know where to look ...

Comment

I also played in that 1968 Canadian Open.

Comment

Working...
                                X