Millionaire Chess - finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Millionaire Chess - finally!

GM Maurice Ashley is not a fly-by-night! He's a prominent member of US Chess, and if he skips town his career is ruined.

Comment

An update from Market Wired:

http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...es-1863965.htm

Gotta love the "only $1000"!

Comment

I have total respect for GM Maurice Ashley and consider him the best chess commentator ever. The man sure know how to promote chess.

Comment

When you subscribe to the newsletter, you receive an email with this message:

Subscription Confirmed

Your subscription to our list has been confirmed.

Thank you for subscribing!
          Millionaire Chess
          402 W Pender St
          Vancouver, Bc V6H 3J1
          Canada

Any idea what happens at this address? Is it something to do with the email/subscription service provider? Or is the tournament actually a "Canadian" event?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            When you subscribe to the newsletter, you receive an email with this message:

Subscription Confirmed

Your subscription to our list has been confirmed.

Thank you for subscribing!
            Millionaire Chess
            402 W Pender St
            Vancouver, Bc V6H 3J1
            Canada

Any idea what happens at this address? Is it something to do with the email/subscription service provider? Or is the tournament actually a "Canadian" event?
            Hugh, the event is being held in the USA. However, one of the backers is Amy Lee of Vancouver. I suspect that that is her address!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
              I have total respect for GM Maurice Ashley and consider him the best chess commentator ever. The man sure know how to promote chess.
              Which does not turn everything he does into the best thing for chess. The way this event is set up strongly reminds one of poker.
              Everyone comes in at the cost of an ever larger chunk of money for a "chance" at a big prize. Nothing new there for the US. Goichberg has been doing that for decades, although on a smaller (sustainable ?) scale.
              To me this is not the way to promote the game and never will be.

Comment

I have a real problem with some of the anti-draw measures proposed. When there's a sponsor contributing to the prize fund, or paying appearance fees, I think measures like this are perfectly fine and I like them. When the prize fund is fully player funded, I dislike them. The "fans" want to see fighting chess? The "fans" do not get a say unless they are paying for it. The same applies to the dress code.

In the end, the event will almost certainly collapse under either sandbagging or cheating concerns, in my opinion. I would not make it even money that this tourney ever sees round 1 completed.

Comment

I would gladly fork over a g-note to play in the open even without a shot at a prize. But not with two rounds per day.

Even so, I agree with everything you wrote here.

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                  I have a real problem with some of the anti-draw measures proposed. When there's a sponsor contributing to the prize fund, or paying appearance fees, I think measures like this are perfectly fine and I like them. When the prize fund is fully player funded, I dislike them. The "fans" want to see fighting chess? The "fans" do not get a say unless they are paying for it. The same applies to the dress code.

In the end, the event will almost certainly collapse under either sandbagging or cheating concerns, in my opinion. I would not make it even money that this tourney ever sees round 1 completed.
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

It certainly looks like we're going to have a 2nd edition in 2015 (:

http://www.chess.com/news/millionair...next-move-2787

Comment

It cost me near $3000 Canadian money to play in this tournament with entry fee, plane, hotel, food and a little gambling and souvenirs. I absolutely love the weather in Vegas in october - almost 31 celsius each day, no rain and no bug, thanks to desertic climate. Fort the tournament itself, it was probably a little too strong for a low 2200 Fide rated like me in the open section but it was a wonderful experience and i'm happy to be one of the rare canadian player to have participate to HB Global Chess Challenge in 2005 and to the first edition of Millionaire chess. Unfortunately, i cannot spend near $3000 for a single tournament each year and will probably not play in the second edition.

The first month after the tournament, i just have to sing to myself "viva Las Vegas" and i would like to take the next plane for Vegas with a one-way ticket :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X