Women in chess and in cycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women in chess and in cycling

I had an interesting conversation with my sister over the holidays. She was talking about efforts in the cycling community to get more women to participate, and I saw a lot of analogies to similar issues in chess.

She said that cycling has had low participation rates among women, and that there has been a recent (and partially successful) general effort to rectify the problem.

First, there may be issues in measurement. For example, data collected based on cycling commuters crossing the Brooklyn bridge doesn't show the much higher numbers of women who ride around their neighbourhoods. I compared this to our (chess) numbers based on participation rates in tournaments not reflecting women who are learning chess, but not playing in tournaments. At our club, we have a number of women in our adult beginner class who rarely spend time in our tournament hall - even to play casual games. So it might be good for us to take the broadest possible view of chess participation, and look at barriers that exist in moving from one level or space of participation to another.

In this regard, one concern in the cycling community was that bike shops were intimidating to women. My sister says they aren't intimidating to her; she described herself as an "early adapter" - someone who overcomes barriers more easily than others in her demographic, and who then supports others to participate. So it doesn't make bike shops less intimidating to her, because she's never had the problem, but she has noticed bike shops have started selling "pretty baskets" in an effort to convince women that shopping for bike parts is "just like buying shoes." And she says it's working: more women do attend such shops. Along these lines, she suggested our chess club offer good coffee and tasty snacks in our playing hall.

I recently did a profile on a new female player at our club, Teresa Lee, and reflecting on what she told me, my sister's comments made a lot of sense. I think it's fair to describe Teresa as an "early adapter" in tournament chess, just as my sister is in cycling.
    Last edited by Marcus Wilker; Friday, 3rd January, 2014, 11:15 AM. Reason: adopter to adapter
    Marcus Wilker
    Annex Chess Club
    Toronto, Ontario

Re: Women in chess and in cycling

adapter!

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
      the cycling community to get more women to participate, and I saw a lot of analogies to similar issues in chess.
      Interesting stories and thoughts. Probably cycling (as chess) has a lot of alternative activities and even less dangerous like walking/hiking and running. Through my home window I can see a popular path for runners and walkers. It is dominant by women.

Do you know how funny is to go on the icy roads these chilly days? LOL

Comment

Thanks, Vlad. I'd thought she said adapter. But when I Googled the spelling (adapter or adaptor) I got a Wikipedia page for Early adopter. The theory of adoption, like diffusion, sounded like what we were talking about. Anyway, I checked with my sister and she confirmed "early adapter."
        Marcus Wilker
        Annex Chess Club
        Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          Interesting stories and thoughts. Probably cycling (as chess) has a lot of alternative activities and even less dangerous like walking/hiking and running. Through my home window I can see a popular path for runners and walkers. It is dominant by women.

Do you know how funny is to go on the icy roads these chilly days? LOL
          That's funny, Egis. If walking's a less dangerous alternative to cycling, what's a less dangerous alternative to chess?
          Marcus Wilker
          Annex Chess Club
          Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Last edited by Gary Ruben; Friday, 3rd January, 2014, 03:02 PM.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

My sister also talked about a "bike buddy" programme, where a new or interested cyclist is paired with someone who already travels regularly by bike, for encouragement and support. I think it happens spontaneously at chess clubs that more experienced members take some interest (say hi and bye, ask about results, look over games, etc.) in newer members, or for new members to support each other, or for new players to hire trainers or coaches. Still, it might be worth instituting a formal buddy programme at our club.
              Marcus Wilker
              Annex Chess Club
              Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Women and girls in chess

I run an "all ages" club and a children's club. For girls in the children's club, a big factor is if other girls are there. That helps a lot. For women who come to a chess club, that's less of a factor.

I'm also a keen hiker. There are way more women hiking than men. Maybe 5/1 or even 10/1. Perhaps, if we want to improve the participation rates of girls and women in chess, we should try to convince them that it's good for their health. The numbers might soar. lol.
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Women and girls in chess

Hiking is a relatively gentle sport. It doesn't have a highly competitive 'macho' culture (although some do strive for personal goals, such as doing all the sections of the Bruce Trail, known as 'end-to-end'). It doesn't require complex, sophisticated equipment (which might intimidate some). Nor does it involve difficult technique, so is ideal for non-athletic types. I think this is why it's popular with women, especially older ones.

Comment

adaptor (əˈdæptə) or adapter
                    n
                    1. a person or thing that adapts

early adopter
                    n
                    1. one of the first people or organizations to make use of a new technology

Comment

Originally posted by Miroslav Stefanovic View Post
                      adaptor (əˈdæptə) or adapter
                      n
                      1. a person or thing that adapts

early adopter
                      n
                      1. one of the first people or organizations to make use of a new technology
                      I think you're right, Miroslav. But it's an interesting error - i.e., maybe it's appropriate to describe the first ones to move into and thrive in a new space, overcoming certain barriers, as "early adapters."
                      Marcus Wilker
                      Annex Chess Club
                      Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Has your sister heard of the invisible bike helmet invented by two enterprising Swedish women, Anna Haupt and Terese Alstin, Marcus? That may well encourage greater female participation in the sport (:

http://www.truthdig.com/eartothegrou...eo_20131111?ln

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                          Has your sister heard of the invisible bike helmet invented by two enterprising Swedish women, Anna Haupt and Terese Alstin, Marcus? That may well encourage greater female participation in the sport (:

http://www.truthdig.com/eartothegrou...eo_20131111?ln
                          Wow, what a fantastic idea, an airbag helmet for cyclists! :)

Comment

Wonder how many of these "10 myths" translate into chess:

http://bikeleague.org/content/10-myt...omen-bicycling
                            Marcus Wilker
                            Annex Chess Club
                            Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Working...
                            X