Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Facebook/tweeter/linkedin/friends

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
    You forget that it is all about him, and nothing about chess.....
    How would you know? You don't know anything about chess. Chess isn't why you're here.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      How would you know? You don't know anything about chess. Chess isn't why you're here.
      How about you guys refrain from presuming to speak for someone else and simply speak for yourself? In any case, this is a personal attack as you know very well, Gary.

There's plenty of room for disagreement about social media.

For myself, I didn't agree to allow Facebook to mine my personal (i.e., private) messages for their own purposes of advertising and marketing. Nor did I agree to allow the Canadian secret police (CSIS and CSEC) to collect my personal data without a specific search warrant showing how I'm likely to be some sort of danger to the well being of Canada. The NSA in the USA also collects data from outside that country. For American spooks who stalk women they are attracted to, a whole new creepy term has been invented: they call it LOVEINT. The person they are stalking could be your partner, or mom, or sister, or daughter. Which goes to show that privacy is important.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Vlad, You can always use a fake name on Facebook if you don't want to be traced. I use "Tom O'D". Tom is not my first name and "O'D" is obviously not my last. The easiest way I could think of to make it hard for databases to link me with my government IDs.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
          For myself, I didn't agree to allow Facebook to mine my personal (i.e., private) messages for their own purposes of advertising and marketing.
          I actually suspect that you *did* agree (as did I). I shudder to think what we've agreed to in our relationship with FB. It is quite amazing (and disturbing) how the ad content on Facebook matches recent activity on my computer and from my postings.

I have to say that it is a little disturbing that I keep seeing ads for "full pardons of criminal records" on my Facebook news feed. What does FB know about my past that I don't remember? Or worse what do they know about my future? However, privacy concerns be damned, I keep returning to FB (I'm addicted to Cats UK).:)
          Last edited by Steve Karpik; Tuesday, 7th January, 2014, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
            I am frequently invited/advised to join one or more of the above social networking aps. Thus far I have not.
            I find emails fulfill all my communication needs (beside ChessTalk).
            It seems to me that each and every one of the above is just an additional route for hackers and viruses to infiltrate my site. Am I missing an entire dimension of computer usage? It took me a few years before I broke down and bought a computer and joined the internet, so it may well be that I am some sort of prehistoric fossil ludite.
            In any event I mean no offence when I refuse to linkedin and befriend etc.
            Am I the only prehistoric throwback to the pre-internet era?
            I long ago abandoned FB - it is a privacy and security rat hole. Twitter can be used primarily as 'receive-only' to get tweets(news/links) from people/organizations you follow and in that mode it is quite useful. I only make occasional tweets - usually about how crappy the Maple Loafs are playing... I am on LinkedIn only as a mechanism to connect with work colleagues (and in that respect I have been able to find and stay in touch with people from the 70's that I would otherwise likely not find! Normally I decline or ignore connection requests on LinkedIn from familly and friends and restrict it to work-related connections (there are some exceptions). I try not to bother with many of the social networking sites other than that. Chess Talk is my worst vice in that respect. :)
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
            X