5 years ahead of Hansen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 years ahead of Hansen

It was said of Canada's best known child prodigy, Jeff Sarwer, that he was "2 years ahead of Fischer" in his early development. Jeff, at the age of 8, was on all the major U.S. talk shows of his day but we now know where that all ultimately led ):

I suppose it can now be said, at least at a superficial CFC ratings level, that we have a couple of new 'prodigies' who are 5 years ahead of arguably Canada's best current player, Eric Hansen. Eric didn't exceed the 1800 level (CFC) until the month he turned 13 (i.e. May 2005). We now have 2 players, one barely 8 and the other not 8 for another 4 months, who have already surpassed the 1800 level. Harmony Zhu currently is rated 1830 while the still 7-year-old Nameer Issani is rated 1816.

A third U10 junior warrants mention here, Nicholas Vettese. While Nicholas does turn 10 this year, he's currently the highest rated of the three at 1956. A quick glance at the CFC top U10 lists:

1. Nicholas Vettese 1956
    2. Harmony Zhu 1830
    3. Benjamin Lin 1524

I don't know why Nameer Issani doesn't appear in the 3 spot and it's not just because he's still U8 since he doesn't head up or even appear on the U8 list (top billing there is Aiden Zhou at 1337). It's hard to believe Nameer could pass through CFC scrutiny since he played 47! rated tournaments in 2013 - 2 more than Nicholas Vettese and 16 more than Harmony Zhu.

I'm not sure any of these 3 young stars will ever attain the chess status of an Eric Hansen but they're obviously all currently heading in the right direction and way ahead of 'schedule'.

Re: 5 years ahead of Hansen

Canada's best current player is Anton Kovalyov.

Comment

A lot can happen between their age currently and years from now. I would say 95% of talented juniors drop off from their destination and a very small margin of talented juniors will ever reach a title like IM or GM. While it's nice to get some national titles at a young age, I wouldn't take their rating progression seriously until they are roughly 14-16 years of age and at least 2200-2400 in fide strength
      Shameless self-promotion on display here
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Jack,
        I guess Nameer's CFC membership expired.
        It's excited to see these Canadian prodigies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
          A lot can happen between their age currently and years from now. I would say 95% of talented juniors drop off from their destination and a very small margin of talented juniors will ever reach a title like IM or GM. While it's nice to get some national titles at a young age, I wouldn't take their rating progression seriously until they are roughly 14-16 years of age and at least 2200-2400 in fide strength
          I agree with Bindi, an example that comes to mind that fits his criteria is Razvan Preotu, Fide rating over 2300, and has one IM norm and is only 13-14 years old.
          University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Corinna Wan View Post
            Jack,
            I guess Nameer's CFC membership expired.
            It's excited to see these Canadian prodigies.
            Hi Corinna:

I don't understand that. He just played in the WYCC - how could he do that with an expired CFC membership??

As well, last Thursday, he signed up for the new Scarborough CC Jack Frost swiss - it was Rd. 1. Though he did take a bye in Rd. 1 (I assume he was back in Canada by then), SCC is quite rigorous that all players registering must have a current CFC membership, or they have to pay for one to SCC on the spot, which then processes it for the member. I'd think he'd need to have had a current membership to register at Scarborough.

Strange - I'll try to look into it from the SCC end tonight at the club (Rd. 2).

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bator Sambuev View Post
              Canada's best current player is Anton Kovalyov.
              That's why he said arguably. You should have too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                I don't understand that. He just played in the WYCC - how could he do that with an expired CFC membership??
                Nameer Issani
                http://www.chess.ca/players?check_rating_number=154796
                Expiry: 2014-01-01

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  I wouldn't necessarily believe everything you find at the CFC website... ;(
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                    That comment caught me by surprise as well. Considering the entire thread is funny, the mavens of chess excellence probably believe what they are writing.

I was questioning why Eric wasn't chosen for the Olympiad team two years before they finally chose him. That was the Olympiad made up mostly of Ontario players. Then when they did pick him and played him on board 4, the only reason I could think of for that low placing was they didn't understand the strength of the chess he was playing.

When I've been asked to play on teams, correspondence or over the board when I was younger, the first question I always asked was "what board". If I didn't like the board they wanted me to play they could find someone else to do it.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      I wouldn't necessarily believe everything you find at the CFC website... ;(
                      while it might be true but if the software probably checks this data to show all Top Under X ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        Hi Egis:

So maybe he got to register somehow at Scarborough CC for the new Jack Frost Swiss (started Jan. 2) without having yet renewed his CFC membership? Seems odd but possible I guess, since he did take a bye first round, and so likely has not physically been to the club since Jan. 1. I'll check at SCC tonight.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                          http://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=CAN

Comment

Working...
                          X