Olympiad Male Team Debate Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad Male Team Debate Thread

This is a thread where you can discuss YOUR 2014 Canadian Olympiad Team.

Let me get the ball rolling with my thoughts.

First of all, these players should without a doubt be getting paid. They take two weeks out of their life (TWO WEEKS OF PAY), to play in a chess tournament. In no other sport do you see an individual representing his country at the Olympics and not getting paid. Why should Chess be any different?

Chess players aren't very healthy individuals to start off with, and loss of two weeks of pay can be quite disastrous. That's two weeks of lessons ($60/hr), simuls, lectures, etc... Heck, they would be better off going to an open tournament and getting an APPEARANCE FEE.

Also, I would like to see a PROFESSIONAL Canadian chess team at the next Olympiad, not a tourist team who banks on a free trip. An all GM team would be nice. Kovalyov, Hansen, Spraggett, Sambuev seems reasonable. (Recent inactivity excludes Bluvshtein and Charbonneau). With all due respect to Noritsyn, and in no way am I trying to offend him, but he simply isn't a professional player, but a chess tourist. Olympiads are a chance for him to go sight-seeing, not to represent his chess country.

Kovalyov, Hansen, Spraggett and Sambuev are all mature professionals who take the game seriously. I would like to see the CFC make a serious offer to Spraggett to represent our country. None of this "Please Spraggett, come play with us and make us an all GM-team. We will pay your flight and give you lunch money". But a serious offer as in: "Hi Kevin, as the CFC, we would like to put our past differences aside. As Canada's most accomplished player, we would like to work together to put the best product on the market. I offer you $XXXX, free flight, free accommodation, and free meals. Please let me know if this is reasonable. We have a chance to make history with this all GM team."

Keep in mind both Hansen and Spraggett are currently residing in Europe, so that is already money saved on flights. Money saved on flights that an be used ELSEWHERE. Elsewhere does not include your pockets.

Andy Shaw,
    Investment Associate: Commodity Futures at ScotiaMcLeod
    Last edited by Andy Shaw; Friday, 17th January, 2014, 04:01 PM.

Re: Olympiad Male Team Debate Thread

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
      Any thoughts?
      Best laugh I have had all day. :)

Comment

Any thoughts?
        I believe the situation between Spraggett and the CFC is about a lot more than money. If an amount of money exists that would cause Spraggett to set it aside, I doubt the CFC has that amount available for this project.

Comment

This is a thread where you can discuss YOUR 2014 Canadian Olympiad Team.
          ... Kovalyov, Hansen, Spraggett and Sambuev are all mature professionals who take the game seriously. I would like to see the CFC make a serious offer to Spraggett to represent our country. None of this "Please Spraggett, come play with us and make us an all GM-team. We will pay your flight and give you lunch money". But a serious offer as in: "Hi Kevin, as the CFC, we would like to put our past differences aside. As Canada's most accomplished player, we would like to work together to put the best product on the market. I offer you $XXXX, free flight, free accommodation, and free meals. Please let me know if this is reasonable. We have a chance to make history with this all GM team."
          Spraggett would be a great asset, such as being up on the latest opening theory in Europe.

But, based on the past, I think that Spraggett might request to be team captain and be in charge of all board placements. While the CFC might request that Spraggett can't quit and walk out part way through if he can't get his way.

There are also several active players with GM norms who could be on the team.

Kevin Spraggett is Canada's most accomplished player. From David Cohen's biographies:
          Highest rated Canadian ever on FIDE Rating List (2633 in 2007.01, ranked 80th)
          First Canadian to have published FIDE rating of at least 2600 (2610 in 2006.10)
          2000 Silver medal, Board 2, Olympiad
          Represented Canada at 8 Olympiads (1986, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002)
          First Canadian-born Grandmaster (1985)
          Commonwealth Champion (1984, 1985)
          Seven times Canadian Champion (1984, 1986, 1989, 1994, 1996, 2001, 2002)
          Record eight times Canadian Open Champion (1983, 1987, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000)
          Top rated Canadian at Year-end 26 times (1980, 1982-90, 1992-2000, 2002-8)
          1974 Tied first place, Canadian Junior Championship

Comment

Any thoughts?
            With all due respect to you, and in no way am I trying to offend you, but I'm sure the players have no interest in what you want, or what you'd like to see, or how seriously you think they take this event.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              With all due respect to you, and in no way am I trying to offend you, but I'm sure the players have no interest in what you want, or what you'd like to see, or how seriously you think they take this event.
              How about if he can find sponsors that can take care of those X's:
              $XXXX
              :-)
              Andrei

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                How about if he can find sponsors that can take care of those X's:

:-)
                Andrei
                Hi Andrei,

The CFC usually does a fundraiser and asks for donations etc. I have contributed in the past and no doubt so have you. Is money really the issue here? I remember the days when Sid Belzberg was sponsoring the team...

There is no doubt in my mind that the CFC can raise the necessary funds from the Canadian chess community, if they make this a priority.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  I remember the days when Sid Belzberg was sponsoring the team... Larry
                  Why did Mr. Belzberg cease his sponsorship?

Comment

Andy,

Not being a professional chess player does not necessarily make me a chess tourist :) In Istanbul 2012, for example, I was the only one not to go sight-seeing (not that there is anything wrong with that, on a free day). I stayed in the hotel, went to the gym, and worked on chess calculation exercises.

Nikolay

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
                      Andy,

Not being a professional chess player does not necessarily make me a chess tourist :) In Istanbul 2012, for example, I was the only one not to go sight-seeing (not that there is anything wrong with that, on a free day). I stayed in the hotel, went to the gym, and worked on chess calculation exercises.

Nikolay
                      Nikolay,

I think his comment about you is very unfair. In 2012 you had the second highest performance rating on the Olympiad team, over 2500 if I recall, and you were a solid contributor.

Gary
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

J. Ken MacDonald wrote:

Why did Mr. Belzberg cease his sponsorship?
                        The most likely reasons:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/7671...es-name-change

followed by:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=FLC.V&ql=0

Note the names of some board members: William Gnam (who resigned) - a former Expert from Alberta, and Richard Ness (who was appointed) - a sporadic tournament player from Montreal with whom I used to play regularly.

Richard's primary company (note the chess pieces on every Web page): http://www.tactico.com/htm/richardness.htm

Comment

Somehow, I seem to recall that the ceased sponsorship stopped long before these. I remember talking to him at one of the CDN Closed events in Toronto and I am sure that was years before and I think he told me then he had stopped the sponsorship by then. When was the last CDN Closed he sponsored?

Comment

[QUOTE=Hugh Brodie;76711]J. Ken MacDonald wrote:

The most likely reasons:http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/7671...es-name-change

I believe Belzburg last sponsored the Olympic team in 2002, and so it is unlikely the 2011 news story had a big impact on his decision to end funding. Chess players should be far-seeing, but not that far...

Comment

Here's the stock chart since 2000 (click on "max"). All downhill since 2007.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/bztif/interactive-chart

Comment

Working...
                              X