Pentago is a first player win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentago is a first player win

The game Pentago (5 in a row on a 6x6 board) has been busted by computer analysis.
    It has been determined that the first player has a win.

http://perfect-pentago.net/details.html#intro

and here we are, with chess, still looking at 7 piece tablebases etc (according to Carlsen - not likely in our lifetime)
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Pentago is a first player win

Pentago is much easier than checkers which is also (mostly) busted.

Carlsen is not a computer expert. We have 7 piece tablebase (http://chessok.com/?page_id=27966). I expect we will get 8 pieces in time, but it will take years. 9 pieces I don't expect to see barring a revolution in computer technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
      Pentago is much easier than checkers which is also (mostly) busted.

Carlsen is not a computer expert. We have 7 piece tablebase (http://chessok.com/?page_id=27966). I expect we will get 8 pieces in time, but it will take years. 9 pieces I don't expect to see barring a revolution in computer technology.
      Thanks for that link. Fascinating positions on that page (mate in 545 moves !!!)
      So Carlsen was off by one (or so). lol

Point is that each additional piece added to a tablebase likely requires a significant increase in processing power to product the tables. I understand Moore's Law etc and the exponential rise in technology but it seems it will be a long time before any such conclusions can be drawn about chess. I was also aware that checkers was 'solved' but I found the article on Pentago very interesting all the same.

Added later: I notice this "The total volume of all tablebases is 140 000 gigabytes..." and it seems that they do not have strictly *all* 7 piece tablebase data - just 4 vs 3 and 5 vs 2? Anyway, regardless, it is impressive achievement - tip of the hat!
      Last edited by Kerry Liles; Thursday, 23rd January, 2014, 05:10 PM.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        The game Pentago (5 in a row on a 6x6 board) has been busted by computer analysis.
        It has been determined that the first player has a win.
        This must be a marketing version of Go-moku - which in Japanese means 5-in-a-row - a very old game and played on the traditional 19 by 19 line go ban. And the only variation on this ancient game which I consider an improvement is the modern game called Pente which is also played on the 19 x 19 board but with the added winning proviso that you win by making 5 captures. The capture is achieved by a pincer of two stones in a row (1, 3, or more stones in a row cannot be captured).
        Anyone interested in exploring the game will have to come to the Chess Cafe on a Wednesday evening or on a Sunday at noon before the weekly backgammon sessions. (By the way - there's a free entry backgammon tournament this Sunday with a cash prize to the winner).
        Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Friday, 24th January, 2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X