Harmony Zhu gets more press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmony Zhu gets more press

http://chessimprover.com/the-smartest-kids/ One of a series of interesting articles on smart kids and education and chess by Richard James.

Re: Harmony Zhu gets more press

Richard James is an advocate for a more European approach to the teaching of chess to children, rather than the approach used in what I will call the Anglosphere. It's worth looking at.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I'm still dismayed that not a single Canadian newspaper has picked up this fascinating story in the 40+ days since Harmony won her gold medal in the UAE. The CFC has clearly dropped the ball here. They should have been promoting their newest star and I would surmise that corporate sponsership would have been an obtainable goal, especially if a spot (5th board) had been reserved for Hamony on the 2014 Olympiad team. An 8-year-old on an Olympiad team would certainly be big time news (:

At least the CBC will be broadcasting Harmony's story this Sunday evening at 5 p.m. on their 'Our Toronto' feature. Further details were provided today at the Annex Chess Club's web site.

http://annexchessclub.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
        If a spot (5th board) had been reserved for Harmony on the 2014 Olympiad team. An 8-year-old on an Olympiad team would certainly be big time news
        That would be an unnecessary pressure on Harmony and other players, and not very fair to much stronger players.

Top 5 by rating from the selection list ( http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...-Ratings-Women )
        Code:
        Yuan Y		WM	2254	2336	2295	≥20
        Khoudgarian N	WM	2136	2294	2215	10	
        Botez A		WCM	2089	2247	2168	≥20
        Starr N		WM	2175	2142	2159	10	
        Peng J		WF	2035	2227	2131	≥20
        She will need sponsorship for this year's WYCC :)

Comment

double bubble

Comment

Harmony has certainly proved that she can handle "pressure". And she's already ranked #9 amongst Canadian women at CFC's own website:

http://chess.ca/players?player_searc...0c7224016b0bd7

How many of our bottom (#5) boards on the past few female Olympiad teams are even still playing chess? It's high time we included someone on the team who could be a formidable force for years to come.

Comment

I didn't have to restrict my critique to the bottom boards. Looking at the Women's 2010 Olympaid team, I see that only the top board, Yuanling Yuan, has even played a single CFC rated tournament in the past 12 months. The other 4 members played a composite single tournament in Februrary, 2012 and another composite single tournament in January, 2013. Reassemble that team now and I'd likely have Harmony on the #2 board (:

Comment

Keep in mind that Harmony drew an 1894 and 2147 last two games of annex championship. Several more weeks and she will be there by rating as well.

Comment

I agree with you Jack. Another thing - what are Canada's Women's Olympic Team goals - perhaps they should be spelled out - certainly they are not aiming for top 20. Adding Harmony would add notoriety, exposure, and an eye to the teams future and play a large role in Harmony's own development. I am totally supportive.

Comment

Originally posted by Miroslav Stefanovic View Post
                    Keep in mind that Harmony drew an 1894 and 2147 last two games of annex championship. Several more weeks and she will be there by rating as well.
                    You transposed your 8 and 9, Miroslav. Your 1894 should read 1984. But your point is well taken. Harmony's rating is definitely heading north in a hurry and depending upon how she does in the final two rounds of the club championship, your "several more weeks" may not be too far off the mark (:

Comment

Working...
                    X