Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re : Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    India is crediting a good part of their success to "strategy" or what I would call the proper application of game theory. Tangentially, I find it interesting that none of the medal winners on Board 1 (Topalov, Adams, Giri) had their respective countries do particularly well; in fact, all 3 countries finished below their seed number. Doing well on lower boards (where China and India dominated) seemed far more conducive to ultimate team success.

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=256271

I'm going to include a 2nd news item for two reasons. First, I didn't realize there was (or so this article says) "Gold" by "category". Sri Lanka, the 120th seed, finished 74th and evidently won some kind of minor "Gold" (not likely a medal). Interesting enough, Sri Lanka came even closer to applying likely proper game theory by putting their lowest rated player on board 1, who turned in the rather dismal score of 1.5/7. Their other boards overachieved, however, and accounted for Sri Lanka's unexpected performance, garnering the cited 12 points (just 1 point behind Canada).

http://www.dailymirror.lk/news/51156...-olympiad.html
    Sweden had two players with outstanding results in the Women section, one being Pia Cramling on board 1, the other being the player on board 3. Combined, that should have given Sweden a good overall result...

Comment

• Re: Re : Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014

I dislike the scoring system based on winning full matches now used at Olympiads. It should revert back to total points like it used to be.

Comment

• Re: Re : Re: Tromso Chess 2014

I enjoyed the 21st move of Eric's last round game, 21.Ndxc4. The pawn is guarded twice and only attacked twice. If 21.....Bxc4 then 22.b4! Qb5 23.a4! and the queen loses contact with the Bishop.
        Last edited by David Gordon; Saturday, 16th August, 2014, 11:06 PM. Reason: adding text

Comment

• Re: Re : Re: Tromso Chess 2014

Eric's ending is technically winning because the h-pawn is behind the Troitzky line but he would need to put a knight on h3 and then use the other knight and king to force the king into a corner before releasing his blockading knight to mate the king before a queen is made. The problem is when the king moves the h-pawn will move to h4. The h4 pawn is on the Troitzky line but the win is longer then 50 moves. I have encountered this ending in 2 tournament games and 1 clock simul. I had no time in the tournament games but in the clock simul against GM Vera I managed to force his king to a6 but then ran out of time to work out the rest so it was a draw.

Comment

• Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014

Thanks to the Canadian contingent for their effort and representation.

Comment

'The Fiji Times' has a much more generous definition of "on song" (informal British for "performing well") than I do (:

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=277187

Comment

Tromso Olympiad 2014

How Canada’s last round match with the Philippines was reported in The Philippine Star:

PH finishes 46th in Chess Olympiad

08/16/2014

MANILA, Philippines - GM Eugene Torre pulled off a win over IM Leonid Gerzhoy while GM John Paul Gomez salvaged a draw from a losing position as the Philippines escaped with a 2-2 draw with Canada but still ended up at 46th in one of its worst finishes in the Chess Olympiad.

The Filipinos actually finished tied for 35th after the 11-round tournament with 13 points but wound up at 46th after the tiebreak at the close of the 41st staging of the biennial meet in Tromso, Norway Thursday.

Torre, 62, used his pet Torre Attack to trample Gerzhoy in 48 moves on Board 3 while Gomez snatched an 82-move draw against GM Eric Hansen in a Ruy Lopez game on Board 2 to salvage a standoff for the Filipinos.

GM Julio Catalino Sadorra also drew with GM Anton Kovalyov in 38 moves of a Nimzo-Indian Defense on the top board while GM Jayson Gonzales suffered his first defeat, a 42-move setback to GM Bator Sambuev of a Queen’s Pawn Game.

The Phl women’s team fared even worse, finishing at 64th with 11 points after bowing to lower ranked Belgium, 1-3.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                  Tromso Olympiad 2014

How Canada’s last round match with the Philippines was reported in The Philippine Star:

PH finishes 46th in Chess Olympiad

08/16/2014

MANILA, Philippines - GM Eugene Torre pulled off a win over IM Leonid Gerzhoy while GM John Paul Gomez salvaged a draw from a losing position as the Philippines escaped with a 2-2 draw with Canada but still ended up at 46th in one of its worst finishes in the Chess Olympiad.

The Filipinos actually finished tied for 35th after the 11-round tournament with 13 points but wound up at 46th after the tiebreak at the close of the 41st staging of the biennial meet in Tromso, Norway Thursday.

Torre, 62, used his pet Torre Attack to trample Gerzhoy in 48 moves on Board 3 while Gomez snatched an 82-move draw against GM Eric Hansen in a Ruy Lopez game on Board 2 to salvage a standoff for the Filipinos.

GM Julio Catalino Sadorra also drew with GM Anton Kovalyov in 38 moves of a Nimzo-Indian Defense on the top board while GM Jayson Gonzales suffered his first defeat, a 42-move setback to GM Bator Sambuev of a Queen’s Pawn Game.

The Phl women’s team fared even worse, finishing at 64th with 11 points after bowing to lower ranked Belgium, 1-3.
                  'Twould appear the Philippines press is a good deal less Panglossian than the Fiji press, Wayne (:

Comment

'Twould appear Tromso may have been Negi's last hurrah, at least from a chess perspective.

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-...cle6339358.ece

Comment

'Twould appear Tromso may have been Negi's last hurrah, at least from a chess perspective.

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-...cle6339358.ece
                      I didn't read that into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                        I didn't read that into it.
                        Perhaps "last hurrah" was at least an inaccuracy, to cite a chess term, Fred. This article is much more to the point regarding Negi's future chess plans.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/S...w/40682519.cms

Comment

Perhaps "last hurrah" was at least an inaccuracy, to cite a chess term, Fred. This article is much more to the point regarding Negi's future chess plans.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/S...w/40682519.cms
                          Negi will be in action at Millionaire Chess in October.

http://millionairechess.com/news/registration-list/

Comment

Working...
                          X