Chess Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Foundation

I noticed over on the CFC discussion board, the following report about the Chess Foundation was included in the financial reports.
    The total invested was $280,780.40
    Income for the quarter was $2,350.90 and for the year to date is was $7,557.94. We can expect that the total income at the end of the fiscal year will be approximately $10,000.
    During the quarter there were no changes to any of the investments.
    In addition to this I received a cheque for $720 for the sale of two life memberships. This will be deposited in the investment account as soon as the cheques clear.

Am I the only one who wonders why there is such an extremely low rate of return on the amount on deposit? I am not suggesting any specific investment strategy (I am not qualified enough to even begin...) but I would cry if I made such little return on a relatively large sum...
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Chess Foundation

Is that a total gain (return on investment (gains, losses on market based investments plus interest, dividends, etc) or simply interest and dividends which will go to the CFC. I haven't looked.

Do they appear to be marking to market on the investment?
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

$10,000 income on a $280,000 portfolio = 3.57%. This does not include capital gains.
      You can see capital gains if you look at the annual report under "governors' letters" on the CFC website. http://www.chess.ca/sites/default/fi...ation-2013.pdf
      Kerry, I hope you consider a life membership
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

I should add that risk and return are directly related. In order to avoid being lynched by an angry mob the next time the markets plunge, I've kept it fairly conservative.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
          I should add that risk and return are directly related. In order to avoid being lynched by an angry mob the next time the markets plunge, I've kept it fairly conservative.
          I certainly agree with a conservative approach.
          Last edited by Gary Ruben; Tuesday, 25th February, 2014, 02:45 AM.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Given the relatively low risk investments it seems to me that the returns are quite good.

Comment

$10,000 income on a $280,000 portfolio = 3.57%. This does not include capital gains.
              You can see capital gains if you look at the annual report under "governors' letters" on the CFC website. http://www.chess.ca/sites/default/fi...ation-2013.pdf
              Kerry, I hope you consider a life membership
              Thanks for the clarification Paul and the link. I would have to agree that 3.57% return is reasonable for a very conservative investment strategy
              (and of course I was not recommending anything too drastic.)

As for a life membership, I am having trouble justifying my annual membership thus far...
              I suppose soon I will be so old that a Life Membership will be close to an annual one. ;)

Oops, I see that the Life Membership is capped at $360 after age 60. It is unclear to me whether there is a corresponding OCA charge as well.
              I will keep it on my radar.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
              X