ARMSTRONG, Robert D - U1700
    LEE, Frank D - U1700
    LEE, Melissa D - U1700
    DEMOCRI, Fardin E – U1300 and unrated
    DEMOCRI, Firooz E – U1300 and unrated
    DEMOCRI, Radin E – U1300 and unrated

Here are some attempts to answer frequent questions :

Top section

In order to have a first section as strong as possible, the entry fee is based on FIDE rating. There are discounts for foreign players, as we intend to have at least 20 foreign players, so the tournament can be a “Super-Swiss” (i.e. the federation of the opponents would not matter).
    We only consider the FIDE rating as of January 1st. We might have to limit the registration of lower rated players if too many decide to play in this section, so register early!

CYCC participants get free entry for the Canadian Open if they contact us soon enough (not valid for section A).

Parking:

Information on the hotel parking is available here : http://www.fairmont.com/queen-elizab...st-services/#9

The Place Ville-Marie (right in front) seems to be cheaper (especially for the weekends) and there are discounts if you buy something from their mall (which is quite likely as there is a food court in this building, which is linked to the hotel).

http://www.placevillemarie.com/en/access/parking.php

There seems to be other options on this website : http://montreal.bestparking.com/

However, the best option would probably to take the train. Tickets (round trip from Toronto or Ottawa) can often cost less than $50 if bought in advance, and Montreal's train station is directly under the hotel.

Hotel:
    We obtained a huge discount for the hotel rooms and they might all be gone very quickly! We recommend to book your rooms as soon as possible. In any case, the discount is only valid until June 13. After this date, the rooms will cost the regular price (about twice as much).

Membership and rating :
    If you live outside of Quebec, you need to be a CFC member, but do not need to pay for the FQE membership. We will use your CFC or FIDE rating to determine in which section you belong. Because of the different ratings systems, no sandbagging rule will be used (except possibly for the judgment of the chief arbiter, for special cases).

Tournament website:
    www.echecsmontreal.ca
    Last edited by Felix Dumont; Thursday, 6th March, 2014, 11:37 PM.

Registration Name Correction - CO Pre-registered's

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
    Pre-registered players
    ARMSTRONG, Robert D - U1700[/url]
    Hi Felix:

I think this refers to me (I had indicated I was coming). But the initial is wrong: it is Robert J. Armstrong (CFC # 100034 - Life). Somewhat important since there are a number of Armstrong members, and one other Robert Armstrong from out west.

If you could revise your records? Thanks.

Looking forward to a great Can. Open in Montreal in July. Still committed to blogging the U 1700 for you, as I've often done, as requested by you.

Bob A

Comment

Re : Registration Name Correction - CO Pre-registered's

Thanks for pointing it out Bob, I will make sure it is corrected.

Comment

Re : Registration Name Correction - CO Pre-registered's

We have a few other marquee players to announce (including a rather large delegation from Cuba) :
        GM Arencibia (Cuba)
        WGM Marrero (Cuba)
        GM Perez Rodriguez (Cuba)
        IM Perez (Cuba)
        Patrick Van Hoolandt (Monaco)

Mr. Van Hoolandt is the president of the AIDEF (international francophone chess association) and we expect quite a few players from the 30 countries/regions represented in this association.
        We only need 7 more foreign players in the first section to have a super-Swiss :)
        With already 10 GMs (including 3 Canadian!) and 2 WGMs, this will definitely be a very strong first section.

@ Bob Armstrong. We both missed the fact that the "D" after the name was in fact the section.
        Last edited by Felix Dumont; Thursday, 6th March, 2014, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : Registration Name Correction - CO Pre-registered's

@ Bob Armstrong. We both missed the fact that the "D" after the name was in fact the section.
          Hi Felix:

Right...I missed that too. But it is necessary to register me as "Robert J. Armstrong", because there are two Robert Armstrong's.

Also, my rating is currently 1618. In some tournaments, one can play up a section if within a 100 points of the floor of the section above. The above section floor is 1700. So, if playing up is allowed, I would be eligible to play up if I maintain my 1600 or over rating 'til July.

But looking at the flyer, I don't see anything allowing "playing up". Could you confirm for me that for this tournament, it is not being allowed?

Thanks.

Bob

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Registration Name Correction - CO Pre-registered's

The FQE used to allow anyone to play up for free, but it lead to some frustration in the upper sections. In any case, playing up is now allowed (no matter the rating) but only up one section, and for a fee of $25. This was explained in the registration form, but I realize it was not explicit in the flyer. I corrected that : http://echecsmontreal.ca/co/info_en.html.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Registration Name Correction - CO Pre-registered's

update the pre-registration GM list on the website

Comment

Armstrong - Playing Up - CO Pre-registered's

The FQE used to allow anyone to play up for free, but it lead to some frustration in the upper sections. In any case, playing up is now allowed (no matter the rating) but only up one section, and for a fee of $25. This was explained in the registration form, but I realize it was not explicit in the flyer. I corrected that : http://echecsmontreal.ca/co/info_en.html.
                Hi Felix:

That seems fine to me. I would like to play up in the C section (U 2000) and will pay the fee (rather than the D U 1700 section you have me currently in. My rating is currently 1618 and I would normally be in the U 1700 section. So the U 2000 is only one section up).

Now the pressure is off re staying in the 1600's!! I can just continue to lose and lose as I have been, except for a few blips on the radar.:D

Thanks.

Bob

Comment

Re: Armstrong - Playing Up - CO Pre-registered's

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                  Now the pressure is off re staying in the 1600's!! I can just continue to lose and lose as I have been, except for a few blips on the radar.:D
                  Sandbagger! ;)
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Armstrong - Sandbagging & Playing Up? - CO Pre-registered's

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    Sandbagger! ;)
                    Hi Kerry::

But you have to admit....it takes a pretty "shrewd" sandbagger.....to lower his rating.....and then play up!!:D

Bob A

Comment

Re: Armstrong - Sandbagging & Playing Up? - CO Pre-registered's

My youngest just started playing chess and I'm off from work for two weeks in July. I might make the trip down.

Comment

Working...
                      X