Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGW and plucky billionaires

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    D'oh! ... Tell me again why I should believe them on AGW...
    How's this?

Plot idea: 97% of the world's scientists contrive an environmental crisis, but are exposed by a plucky band of billionaires and oil companies.
    And, I might add, much the same media experts as worked for the tobacco industry in their "plucky" actions of exposing the health experts who claimed that smoking caused all kinds of health problems, including cancer and death.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Trouble in Ukraine and the possibility of stupid madmen

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      My analysis is that this is starting to look like a nuclear escalation between Russia and the U.S. Kind of like the escalation we saw around the time of the Cuban Missile crisis.

The real concern if this continues will be if one of them decides to use a preemptive strike.
      Pre-emptive use of nuclear weapons has been part of official US military doctrine since before the Reagan era. OTOH, no other country in the world, including North Korea, etc. , shares this view. The US is in a class by itself.

The comparison to the period of the October 1962 Crisis is interesting. If the US can successfully claim that the stationing of nuclear weapons near their borders is a threat, then is a similar Russian claim also legitimate? For Ukraine in NATO would inevitably lead to nuclear weapons right on the Russian border. It might even be more of a threat, given the US military doctrine, which has not changed AFAIK, of the "legitimacy" of (unprovoked) nuclear attacks on other countries.

We are still far too close to an ending of the world due to the actions of a stupid madman pushing a button and starting WW3.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Trouble in Ukraine and the possibility of stupid madmen

Don't forget the nuclear missiles carried on submarines.

If missiles fly I would expect them to go over our country. Some will fall short and some shot down in our air space.

That's my concern with the dispute between Russia and the US escalating.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Canada would be targeted in any nuclear war. You don't have to worry about the ones falling short.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            Canada would be targeted in any nuclear war. You don't have to worry about the ones falling short.
            The environmentalists and Green Party will not be amused.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              The environmentalists and Green Party will not be amused.
              We can't blame them. Being incinerated or dying slowly from radiation poisoning tends to put a real damper on your day. I hope the surviving parties to the Kyoto treaty will revoke Russia's carbon credits as a result.

Comment

Working...
              X