Chesstalk.info (regroups all the Chess'n Math sites):

Global ranking: 255,345
    Canadian Ranking: 6,255

---------------------------------------------------
    Chess.ca (The CFC site)

Global Ranking: 1,212,038
    Canadian Ranking: 34,015

--------------------------------------------------

fqechecs.qc.ca (The Quebec Chess Federation Site)

Global Ranking: 1,771,103
    Canadian Ranking: 54,879

Re : Ranking of Canadian Chess Sites on March 5, 2014

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    From Alexa.com

Chesstalk.info (regroups all the Chess'n Math sites):

Global ranking: 255,345
    Canadian Ranking: 6,255

---------------------------------------------------
    Chess.ca (The CFC site)

Global Ranking: 1,212,038
    Canadian Ranking: 34,015

fqechecs.qc.ca (The Quebec Chess Federation Site)

Global Ranking: 1,771,103
    Canadian Ranking: 54,879

Hmmm... as far as the FQE website is concerned, you are comparing apples with oranges...

Obviously, a chess website with a chess forum (AEM, CFC) tends to get more clicks than a chess website without a chess forum (FQE)...

Also, a Canadian chess website (AEM, CFC) will get more clicks IN CANADA than a provincial chess website (FQE)...

However, I would not be surprised if the FQE website gets more clicks IN QUEBEC than AEM and CFC combined...

Comment

Re: Re : Ranking of Canadian Chess Sites on March 5, 2014

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
      Hmmm... as far as the FQE website is concerned, you are comparing apples with oranges...

Obviously, a chess website with a chess forum (AEM, CFC) tends to get more clicks than a chess website without a chess forum (FQE)...

Also, a Canadian chess website (AEM, CFC) will get more clicks IN CANADA than a provincial chess website (FQE)...

However, I would not be surprised if the FQE website gets more clicks IN QUEBEC than AEM and CFC combined...
      Actually, chess.ca doesn't have a forum. The CFC forum is hosted on a separate domain which hurts the ranking of both.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Ranking of Canadian Chess Sites on March 5, 2014

Ranking ? Bof... what does that REALLY means ?
        Personnaly, I rarely go to chess.ca (once a month, maybe).
        And it is always the same old may 2011 news on many articles, the very deceptive french translation and the weird necessity to go to another URL for a canadian forum .

A very big improvement will be to put the CCN on line. In 2014, there is absolutely no necessity to wait for the «paper» version (PDF is just that : paper on the screen). I think a CCN article SHOULD be published as soon as it is available with a dynamic chess board.

I believe there is a very good thinking CFC admin should do about the site.

Cordialement,
        Gilles
        PS. Please excuse my poor english.
        Last edited by Gilles G. Jobin; Saturday, 8th March, 2014, 08:52 AM. Reason: suppression newsfeed

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post

Hi Louis,

I took the FQE website because it ranks third of all Canadian chess sites...no other provincial chess organization ranks....period.

The FQE site is excellent.

We are working hard on upgrading the CMA site and if all goes well we will do our first revision to the site in decades, this summer.

Larryp

Comment

I took the FQE website because it ranks third of all Canadian chess sitesp
            Larry, you should make more checks as simple inquire for Annexchessclub.com gives

Global Rank: 679,919
            Rank in Canada: 21,607

Do your math :P

Comment

Wow! Thanks Egidijus...so let me see...a Toronto chess club has more hits than the CFC and the FQE???

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Ranking of Canadian Chess Sites on March 5, 2014

The statistics are not much accurate for small websites.
                If you try with another website (http://www.similarweb.com/), we get :

Rank in Canada

Chesstalk.info

Chesstalk.com

Chess.ca

FQE :
                Annex Chess Club

You can see that Alexa's statistics for the Annex Chess Club are probably wrong or not reprensentative by their top keywords from search engine :
                1. groningen shaakfestival 54.22%
                2. hikaru nakamura 4.35%
                3. anand vs carlsen live 4.18%
                4. harmony zhu 3.61%
                5. nigel short 3.40%

Basically, that would mean that less than 3% of people coming from Google were actually looking for the club...

Comment

Wow! Thanks Egidijus...so let me see...a Toronto chess club has more hits than the CFC and the FQE???
                  Hits are another story :) There could be a lot of robots/spam/hackers going on. Some time ago torontochess.org was attacked and all bandwidth was drained. Still it goes but an IP deny function kicks them back.

[Mon Mar 10 07:59:14 2014] [error] [client 204.12.239.210] client denied by server configuration: /home/...
                  [Mon Mar 10 07:59:04 2014] [error] [client 204.12.239.210] client denied by server configuration: /home/...
                  [Mon Mar 10 07:58:45 2014] [error] [client 204.12.239.210] client denied by server configuration: /home/...
                  Every min there is a hit, and there are several IP.
                  Check your raw data you might find an interesting things for chesstalks too.

Anyway, if Google gives for "Toronto chess" the GTCL website http://www.torontochess.org in the first place, interested players should find a way to clubs :)

Comment

Tried comparing a few sites on Alexa:

Click image for larger version

Name:	alexa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	185621

Not sure how "real" these rankings are.

Google Analytics shows 3880 visits in the last month, peaking at 381 visits on Friday March 7, with a lot of people checking out Tyler's Reykjavik blog (Iceland is now our #3 source country).

Our top 3 referrals are chesstalk, facebook - Tyler's been sharing the link on FB, and the Reykjavik Open website - they posted about Tyler's blog :)

Our top 3 keywords are (not provided)?!, annex chess, and annex chess club.

Seems more legit, but then it doesn't compare us to other sites.
                    Marcus Wilker
                    Annex Chess Club
                    Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Working...
                    X