Time Increments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time Increments

Sorry, I thought you might have been joking to the effect that I was being tedious in explaining a service vs. a program (I did so partly in an attempt to clarify my own distinction). Providing 'compensation' to members for a CFC membership hike was my own choice of phrase for providing one or more new services along with it (I didn't at all have giving money back in mind, if anyone thought that). With a service being something provided to any member. Programs are not necessarily provided to all members to benefit from, at any given time, was my understanding. I'm not currently a Governor (I try to keep my current status showing under my chesstalk avatar).

Providing a server (a service) costs money to the CFC, but so can running a program (e.g. for juniors).

If the CFC runs some sort of a better funded junior program after hiking my CFC membership, as a member who happens to be an adult I don't at all consider I'm personally being 'compensated' for the hike. If the CFC provided a chess server that I can use cheaper than if I was not a CFC member, I'd consider that compensation for the fee hike even if I seldom used the server myself.

To correct an earlier post, I believe at one time the CFC had some sort of a credit card system for adult members, using a card that doubled as a membership card if an updated sticker was put on at. I think I confused that with the idea of the CFC ever providing discounts on hotel/travel expenses to members. Pardon me, but some days my brain is foggier than others, at least until several cups of coffee set in.

[edit: fwiw, I was designated 'Program Co-ordinator' a couple of years ago, as far as merely being an email contact for anyone wanting to be listed as a Canadian chess instructor on the CFC website (I would pass on the info to the Treasurer, who happened to be the one to update the website). Such a 'program' (which is what the CFC decided to refer to this as) doesn't even necessarily benefit CFC members (either the instructors or students might not be CFC members), and it is at no cost to the CFC . Later I asked to be replaced by last year's AGM if possible, but this has not happened yet. A 'program' that does cost the CFC some money (but not much) when grants are requested from time to time even nowadays, afaik, is the one I mentioned in an earlier post, namely the Local Tournament Incentive Program.]
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 5th April, 2014, 11:17 PM.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Here's a link to Section 14 of the CFC Handbook (what are called National Programs):

http://chess.ca/handbook#section-14

The Handbook's list of programs may or may not be complete or up to date, but it makes for sad reading as far as the dearth of programs that benefit non-elite adult CFC members in any way. If membership fees were doubled then basically a whole new array of national programs to benefit adult chess would have to be designed from scratch IMO. At the moment, typical adult members IMO basically benefit from their membership dues just by way of the CFC's rating service and the electronic newsletter.

The percentage of CFC revenues that go to just administration and the electronic newsletter service combined was something like a crushing 70% or more only a couple of years back, I seem to recall.
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
        The percentage of CFC revenues that go to just administration and the electronic newsletter service combined was something like a crushing 70% or more only a couple of years back, I seem to recall.
        That seems to be stating the obvious. It's why the annual membership fees should be doubled.
        Last edited by Gary Ruben; Sunday, 6th April, 2014, 10:51 AM.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
        X