Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ontario Open ?

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
    The OCA website is also out-of date and does not provide the correct information.
    Wow!! This is a real surprise. The OCA has always been such a well managed organization. :)

I guess if they (the rank and file) don't know who you are then you don't have to worry about any personal criticism.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
      LOL, we supported that mechanism, for "ALL" regions! ;)

Part of that mechanism was early hand-off of that year's Ontario Open if a region could not do it. You missed that.
      Sorry, Aris, if I missed that.
      Could you please provide a link?

Comment

It was in our OCA AGM minutes. You personally initially asked for something like the previous August or September, and then we all eventually agreed on something like before Christmas. I don't recall the exact details as the EOCA commits at their AGM the previous May, so we would never need to consider that clause. Maybe ask Chris Mallon?

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
          It was in our OCA AGM minutes. You personally initially asked for something like the previous August or September, and then we all eventually agreed on something like before Christmas. I don't recall the exact details as the EOCA commits at their AGM the previous May, so we would never need to consider that clause. Maybe ask Chris Mallon?
          Aris, how can you forget your motion? LOL

Motion moved by Aris Marghetis. Seconded by Christopher Mallon.
          "Commencing in 2013 the Ontario Open will rotate in the following order: EOCA, GTCL, SWOCL and NOCL. By October 1st of the previous year, the League that is due to hold the Ontario Open must present to the OCA Executive a concrete plan or bid for the event. If the deadline is not met, or if the League elects to pass on their turn, an open bid process will be initiated. All Leagues will be invited to submit their bids for the event, with a deadline of December 1st. The OCA Executive will evaluate any submitted bids and award the event no later than January 1st. The awarding of an Ontario Open via the open bid system does not in any way affect the regular rotation of the event."

Discussion thread: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...xt-fiscal-year

Voting thread: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...f-Ontario-Open

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

..... If the deadline is not met, or if the League elects to pass on their turn, an open bid process will be initiated. All Leagues will be invited to submit their bids for the event, with a deadline of December 1st. "

Seems to me that OCA has dropped the ball here.

OCA was to monitor the Oct. 1/13 deadline re holding the OOC, to see whether GTCL said they had a bid, or were passing, or had not checked in at all (which is bad on GTCL as well).

Then OCA WAS TO START A PROCESS - asking the other Leagues to submit bids.

It seems the OCA has just been moribund, and has done nothing re monitoring its marquee provincial tournament.

I'm not saying the GTCL is immune from criticism here (declaring conflict of interest, I am an officer-at-large of the GTCL Board of Directors); they should have known about the deadline, and checked in with OCA when things were going off the rails.

But the dominant responsibility lay with the OCA to monitor, and make sure the OOC took place somewhere in 2014 (and I declare a second conflict, since I am also an OCA governor).

Just my 2 cents worth.

Lastly, at this point, finger-pointing seems somewhat unhelpful....don't we, as OCA, have a problem of now, on short-notice, arranging to find an organizer for the 2014 OOC?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

"Commencing in 2013 the Ontario Open will rotate in the following order: EOCA, GTCL, SWOCL and NOCL. By October 1st of the previous year, the League that is due to hold the Ontario Open must present to the OCA Executive a concrete plan or bid for the event. If the deadline is not met, or if the League elects to pass on their turn, an open bid process will be initiated. All Leagues will be invited to submit their bids for the event, with a deadline of December 1st. The OCA Executive will evaluate any submitted bids and award the event no later than January 1st. The awarding of an Ontario Open via the open bid system does not in any way affect the regular rotation of the event."

LOL, thanks Egis! I didn't really write that on my own, but agreed to sponsor it to get someone off my back LOL.

Anyway, Bob is also correct, this isn't only a GTCL thing, but an OCA thing. If Bryan saves the day, we can smile!

Comment

Can someone remind me why it is that we need an OCA? This organization has about seven things that it needs to do in the course of a year and the people in charge can't manage that? Who will rid us of this festering dung heap?
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Who is the OCA President now?
                  We never hear anything about the OCA. Is there even an OCA standing with officers?

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                    We never hear anything about the OCA. Is there even an OCA standing with officers?
                    The last time I heard of there being an OCA President it was Rob Clark clark_rob@Hotmail.com

As far as I can see, the OCA exists to scoop money from impoverished chess players, and give it to special interests. It MAY be that there is value in having an Ontario Open, an Ontario women's championship, etc, which need funding from all Ontario chess players. However, when one of those interest groups, in this case the GTCL, does not organize the event, should they get the money anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                      The last time I heard of there being an OCA President it was Rob Clark clark_rob@Hotmail.com

As far as I can see, the OCA exists to scoop money from impoverished chess players, and give it to special interests. It MAY be that there is value in having an Ontario Open, an Ontario women's championship, etc, which need funding from all Ontario chess players. However, when one of those interest groups, in this case the GTCL, does not organize the event, should they get the money anyway?
                      Has the GTCL actually received money from the OCA to assist with 2014 Ontario Open expenses?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post

The last AGM was online. http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/fo...3-OCA-AGM-2013
                        You'll be surprised how much interest it generated LOL

I don't think that the GTCL received any monies for Ontario Open. IIRC, monies have always gone directly to organizers. The standard amount was 500$.
                        The GTCL receives its League portion from the OCA. Monies are spend on supporting championships - Closed & Reserved (still going on), League and Cup, Seniors, Juniors. They are well accounted by Treasurer. His report and future budget was distributed for the pre-review for upcoming AGM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                          To the best of my knowledge OCA president is Chris Mallon. There are officers for the OCA. Patrick McDonald who is running the OYCC next weekend is the youth coordinator. I am not sure of the others off the top of my head. There has been an OCA meeting during OYCC in past years.

GTCL president is Michael Barron.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                            Has the GTCL actually received money from the OCA to assist with 2014 Ontario Open expenses?
                            That answer better be NOT YET ...

UNLESS of course they DO organize it as per league rotation

Comment

The 2013 OCA treasurer's report is here: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...surer-s-Report

No, your eyes do not deceive you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                                Lastly, at this point, finger-pointing seems somewhat unhelpful....don't we, as OCA, have a problem of now, on short-notice, arranging to find an organizer for the 2014 OOC?

Bob A
                                Thank you Bob, I agree. Before somebody outs the entire OCA executive, I confess, I am the OCA Regional VP for SWOCL. :(
                                And as such, I acknowledge my share of the responsibility.

But let's stop throwing stones, (those who live in glass houses,...) and work on a solution.
                                First question to be answered, and fast, is Bryan Lamb going to do it or not?
                                Next question: Is GTCL or OCA going to help sponsor the event?
                                As an OCA executive, I would be vote yes. Is anyone else willing to start an email thread amongst the OCA executive to approve this, or should I start it myself?

Comment

Working...
                                X