X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-registrations: Canadian Open and CYCC

http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/cms/articl...vert-du-canada

Re: Pre-registrations: Canadian Open and CYCC

Louis, I clicked on the link to check out for the first time an FQE website page. An option appeared at the top in which Google offered to translate the page to English. I clicked that option.

(NOTE: in the following, substitute the plus sign wherever you see the word "plus", it seems this forum will not display a plus sign):

Funny thing: Google translates "Echecs plus " (the name of the FQE chess magazine?) as "failure plus ".

The translated page shows "failure plus " all over the place!

Then I clicked on the bottom the link "Education", and the page that came up had one funny line in it: I can't remember it verbatim, but it said something about "choosing the most promising Quebec failures", which was probably meant to say "choosing the most promising Quebec chess players" or something like that.

I never knew that Echecs could be translated as "failure".
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re : Re: Pre-registrations: Canadian Open and CYCC

Yes, "Echecs" is more commonly used as "failure". This often leads to unwanted puns... Even choosing the name of a tournament can sometimes be challenging.
      The Quebec Open is abbreviated by "COQ" in French. This is usually translated as rooster (or worse), leading to poor Google translations.

In any case, there's a section of the FQE website in English : http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/cms/article/english-about-us
      It contains information about major tournaments.

Regarding the list, it is only a preliminary list of participants. Someone will take care of making a bilingual list, with the highest rating (FQE,CFC or FIDE) and the provinces of participants in about a month.

Also, perhaps some people noticed that a new WGM registered for the tournament : Sabina Foisor. Born in Romania, she now studies in Baltimore, Maryland, and fluently speaks French and English. We now have three WGMs (2 from Cuba and one from Romania) and 10 GMs.

For more information about both the CYCC and Canadian Open : http://echecsmontreal.ca/

Comment

Re : Pre-registrations: Canadian Open and CYCC

Here's an update with exactly 3 months to go before the Canadian Open :

Canadian Open
        July 19-26 2014

11 GMs, 3 WGMs, 4 IMs and 1 WIM (47 in total).

Name Section

ARENCIBIA, Walter A - 2400 GM
        DE FIRMIAN, Nick A - 2400 GM
        FEDOROWICZ, John A - 2400 GM
        FLEITES MARTI, Yuleikys A - 2400 WIM
        FOISOR, Sabina A - 2400 WGM
        KOVALYOV, Anton A - 2400 GM
        LAWSON, Eric A - 2400 IM
        MARRERO, Yaniet A - 2400 WGM
        MORADIABADI, Elshan A - 2400 GM
        PEREZ, Rodney A - 2400 IM
        PEREZ RODRIGUEZ, Luis Manuel A - 2400 GM
        PINA VEGA, Sulennis A - 2400 WGM
        ROUSSEL-ROOZMON, Thomas A - 2400 GM
        RUIZ SANCHEZ, Orlen A - 2400 IM
        SAMBUEV, Bator A - 2400 GM
        TIVIAKOV, Sergei A - 2400 GM
        VAN HOOLANDT, Patrick A - 2400
        VAN WELY, Loek A - 2400 GM
        VERA, Reynaldo A - 2400 GM
        XIONG, Jeffery A - 2400 IM

BEAULIEU, Pierre B - U2400
        DEHMEL, Jens B - U2400
        DERRAUGH, Geordie B - U2400
        DRKULEC, Vladimir B - U2400
        HADDADI, Farshad B - U2400
        WEBER, Meikel B - U2400

ARMSTRONG, Robert J. C - U2000
        KRASNOSHEKY, Valery C - U2000
        KROLCZYK, Jacob C - U2000
        LEBLANC, Paul C - U2000
        LEE, Brendon C - U2000
        LEE, Nicholas C - U2000
        O'BRIEN, Frank C - U2000
        WHITE, Chris C - U2000

FAUST, Steven D - U1700
        LEE, Frank D - U1700
        LEE, Melissa D - U1700
        MOLLOY, Francis D - U1700
        THOMSON, Bruce W. D - U1700
        VO, Dante D - U1700
        VO, Long D - U1700

DEMOCRI, Fardin E - U1300 and unr.
        DEMOCRI, Firooz E - U1300 and unr.
        DEMOCRI, Radin E - U1300 and unr.
        KULESHOVA, Julia E - U1300 and unr.
        VO, Gabriel E - U1300 and unr.

VO, Dante Mini-CO
        VO, Gabriel Mini-CO
        VO, Long Mini-CO

CYCC
        July 15-18 2014

(29 registrations)

Name Section
        BYL, Reece U10
        DOKNJAS, Neil U10
        HUANG, Qiuyu U10
        RODRIGUE-LEMIEUX, Shawn U10
        YU, Ryan U10
        ZHENG, Richard U10
        GUO, Haotong Hazel U10G
        RADIN, Claire U10G
        RADIN, Paige U10G
        YANG, Angelina U10G
        DOKNJAS, Joshua U12
        KARRANDJAS, Braeden U12
        McCLUSKEY, Ethan U12
        O DONOHOE, Ethan U12
        TINICA, Gabriel U12
        VO, Dante U12
        KEMP, Maddie U12G
        FAN, Run Kun U14
        LEE, Nicholas U14
        XU, Jeffrey U14
        DOKNJAS, John U16
        D'SOUZA, Justin U18
        WU, Stanley U18
        GUIPI BOPALA, Prince Eric Jr U8
        GUO, Roger U8
        RADIN, Andrew U8
        VO, Gabriel U8
        XU, Andrew U8
        KULESHOVA, Julia U8G

www.echecsmontreal.ca

NOTE: Quite a few people sent us their registration information, but did not pay their entry fee (and are thus usually not listed here). We understand that in the case of the CYCC, many participants have their registration paid by clubs or associations. If this is the case, please contact us so we can make sure to receive all the payments.
        Last edited by Felix Dumont; Saturday, 19th April, 2014, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : Pre-registrations: Canadian Open and CYCC

Just checked the entry fee I should pay for Canadian Open. For my FIDE rating it's 200 CAD. Looks unusually high for Canadian Open. However, I understand this approach. Organizers want to reduce the amount of lower-rated Canadians in the Open section and increase the norm (IM and GM) chances for higher-rated players. Looks pretty logical: the lower your rating is - the more you pay. The problem is - with CFC rating above 2400 (at least now) I cannot play in any other section.

I can compare my case (no choice, high entry fee) with scenarios for imaginable 2350 player from outside of Canada. He can play in Open section for free (which is OK, usually organizers encourage foreigners to play). He is also welcome in U2400 section and here I cannot understand why 2350 FIDE can play where, but 2220 FIDE can't.
          Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Friday, 25th April, 2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Victor write:

For my FIDE rating it's 200 CAD. Looks unusually high for Canadian Open.
            That's cheap compared to recent Canadian Opens. Last year it cost up to $250 for anyone to play.

Comment

Probably you are right, Hugh. But it's not the point of my post. My point is double "discrimination" of Canadian players.

Comment

Re : Re: Pre-registrations: Canadian Open and CYCC

$200 would have been a typical entry fee for the past Canadian Open. But the average entry fee in 2014 will probably be at around $75 (since there are discounts for junior players). For a $25 000 prize fund, that's definitely a great deal.

Regarding your case, Victor, we realize there's an issue. We didn't think about such cases, where someone would have a CFC rating over 2400 and a lower FIDE rating.

You seem to perfectly understand the logic behind the entry fee. Having a section which allows norms is extremely expensive for the organizers, and we can't allow too many people with a lower rating. However, at a price of $200, for 9 games against such strong opponents, it's in my opinion definitely worth it.

In any case, there's no discrimination toward Canadian players, as we also consider foreign ratings. So we would take the highest of USCF or FIDE rating for a USA player.
                We do understand your point though, and we will add special cases to the rules where people such as you could choose between U2400 and Open. The last thing we want is to force someone to pay $200 to play in the tournament, as this would go against our goal of making chess affordable. In the past we only considered FIDE rating for the U2400, so it's very likely that we will decide to do so again.

We hope to publish all the rules for the CYCC and CO within 2 weeks from now and we will try to cover all possible cases.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Pre-registrations: Canadian Open and CYCC

Thank you for your reply, Felix. Just few points.

1. The average gap between USCF and FIDE is around 50-70 points. The gap between CFC and FIDE is around 150 points (in my family the average gap is more than 200 points). So 2400 USCF player is like 2500 CFC.

2. Players from Russia and most European countries have only FIDE rating.

3. If you will consider only FIDE rating for U2400 - the problem is solved.

4. I absolutely like other financial aspects of Canadian Open and CYCC-2014 (including discount for CYCC players who play in CO also; hotel price...).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Pre-registrations: Canadian Open and CYCC

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                    We hope to publish all the rules for the CYCC and CO within 2 weeks from now and we will try to cover all possible cases.
                    Shouldn't this have been done beforehand? Or wait... are you the individual doing all the work for the FQE? What would Mr.Berube do without Mr.Dumont ;)

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Pre-registrations: Canadian Open and CYCC

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                      Shouldn't this have been done beforehand? Or wait... are you the individual doing all the work for the FQE? What would Mr.Berube do without Mr.Dumont ;)
                      Most of the rules and information are on the website. But there are always details to add or situations we hadn't think about like this one.
                      The FQE hires a student during the summer (Roman Sarrazin-Gendron), who will have a lot of time to fill in all the details. Hopefully he should be able to give more details about what to do in Montreal and things like that.
                      Even though I'm the one posting on Chesstalk, one should not think that I do all the work. Both Richard Bérubé and Louis Morin spend a lot of time answering questions, taking registrations and finding titled players. After all, it's their full time job (and I'm a full time student). Our president also spends a lot of time finding sponsors.

Comment

Working...
                      X