Bughouse chess - April 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Re : Re: Bughouse chess - April 12

Oh, right. I hadn't noticed the letters and numbers. I don't think there's any rule to cover such a position, but it's not really likely to happen. It does happen quite often that one board is empty, in which case players just move their king as fast as they can waiting for new material... But usually the other players have all the pieces in their hand, not on the board.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Bughouse chess - April 12

Originally posted by Peter Vavrak View Post
      re Felix and Jonathan - but this would actually be a draw - stalemate on one board, and even if one player would flag on the other board, there would be insufficient material to checkmate anyway...

This is why IMs make the big bucks along with eternal glory! Peter understands that it's one of those rare positions reached after perfectly played chess. A draw independent of time in all senses - who to move and clock time are insignificant. A true bughouse masterpiece that all bughousers strive to embody.

Also it doesn't seem so hard to record bughouse games. Just record the time that every move is played (some players do thid for long games already) and invent a notation for dropping pieces (the good type. ? Is already invented for the bad type).
      Then, the arbiter can get the 4 scoresheets compare them and make a 4 column scoresheet with moves sorted by time for easy reading.

Or some fancy dgt bughouse board.

Maybe there's a market for fide licensed bughouse arbiters. One of the professional requirements would br accurately recording a bughouse game (2 boards) during player time pressure!

Comment

Re: Jonathan Yu,
        The only thing more ridiculous than the stalemate position you have created is your attempt to describe it as the result of perfect play. If that position were to appear in a tournament I'm directing, I would have to award all players a ZERO. In other words a forfeit for collusion.
        Why don't you demonstrate your genius and create a score of the sequence of logical moves that would lead to the position you have offered. If you accept it on a bet, I will wager $100 that it can't be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          the sequence of logical moves that would lead to the position you have offered. If you accept it on a bet, I will wager $100 that it can't be done.
          You probably mean "logical" for bughouse moves. Shouldn't be difficult. The scoresheet would feature these moves - get rid of everything for both sides and both players. Move Kings. Then other board makes all placing and exchanges to transfer back pieces. Place all pieces as in a diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
            Re: Jonathan Yu,
            The only thing more ridiculous than the stalemate position you have created is your attempt to describe it as the result of perfect play. If that position were to appear in a tournament I'm directing, I would have to award all players a ZERO. In other words a forfeit for collusion.
            Why don't you demonstrate your genius and create a score of the sequence of logical moves that would lead to the position you have offered. If you accept it on a bet, I will wager $100 that it can't be done.
            Beauty in chess might, but might not, have to do anything with logic.

Btw, Vlad, given your wager, Jonathan can easily show logical (=economically rational, leading to $100 from Vlad in couple of minutes) moves...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Vavrak View Post
              Beauty in chess might, but might not, have to do anything with logic.

Btw, Vlad, given your wager, Jonathan can easily show logical (=economically rational, leading to $100 from Vlad in couple of minutes) moves...

Pretty much... Egidjus is also right if that's what you mean. I feel that there is considerable confusion over the rules of swedish chess since there are so many house rules/variants.

Serious question: if there is a western chess checkmate on the board, can a player wait for the piece to block the mate even if he doesn't have one at the time mate was delivered? I assume so since you can wait for a piece in any other position but I'm not sure. Chess has strange rules like stalemate.

Comment

A bit off topic ..... but when did they start calling this Bughouse?
                We just called it Double Speed Chess (back in the 70's at the YMCA on Sunday afternoons)
                Is talking still allowed (I need a #@%! knight! and I need it now!)

Comment

Bughouse? chess

Originally posted by Dave Love View Post
                  My understanding is that "Double Speed Chess" was played in mental institutions. Hence "bughouse", which is a slang term for such an institution.
                  Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Yu View Post
                    Serious question: if there is a western chess checkmate on the board, can a player wait for the piece to block the mate even if he doesn't have one at the time mate was delivered? I assume so since you can wait for a piece in any other position but I'm not sure.
                    That's why chess clocks exist - a partner (if it is his move) does not move and prevents of any kind of a capture. Of course if he has more time than the player who is "mated". Otherwise the battles go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Love View Post
                      We just called it Double Speed Chess (back in the 70's at the YMCA on Sunday afternoons)
                      Is talking still allowed (I need a #@%! knight! and I need it now!)
                      In the '70s just Double Chess, although always played at the Speed chess time control of 5 minutes (now called Blitz). Also called Siamese Chess and some Europeans said Canadian Chess after some Canadians introduced it to GMs at a Olympiad. There was a book with names of chess variants and Bughouse Chess was a normal two-player game but captured pieces could be replayed onto the board. Over time somehow bughouse became the preferred name for Double Chess. And online bughouse had their own server and players published opening trees.

Comment

Bughouse wouldn't make much sense with lengthy time controls because of the importance of sitting. The only way to avoid this is to play with long time increments, and four way alternating moves, OR long time increments and a short base time again with alternating moves.

Comment

Wish I could say the entries are pouring in! But, no, all we have are the four teams listed in an earlier post.
                          Also, it seems that there may not be more than three suitable tables for matches - in which case we may have to limit the event to six teams. So the next two teams to enter will be guaranteed entry - others will depend on table space - there are for certain three tables which normally seat eight diners and are ideal for doubles chess. If we need more we may be out of luck. So please post your intent to play here or you may end up as a spectator (which you will probably enjoy immensely).
                          We also have one player (Karl Sellars, 2213 CFC) who needs a partner, so let us know if you are interested.

Comment

Re: Bughouse chess - April 12

Where is the event being held? Is there any parking nearby? I supose people should be bringing their own clocks.... digital only.

Comment

Re: Bughouse chess - April 12

Originally posted by David MacLeod View Post
                              Where is the event being held? Is there any parking nearby? I supose people should be bringing their own clocks.... digital only.
                              The event is held at Puck N Wings, 5625 Yonge Street (NE corner Yonge & Finch) Lots of parking nearby (google maps)
                              Sets & clocks are provided.

Comment

[QUOTE=Vlad Dobrich
                                We also have one player (Karl Sellars, 2213 CFC) who needs a partner, so let us know if you are interested.[/QUOTE]

Presumably we would need to find a partner for Karl S by the end of today as Karl has to drive from Niagara.

Comment

Working...
                                X