Michael von Keitz will be moving on from the CFC executive director position soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael von Keitz will be moving on from the CFC executive director position soon

It is with a mixture of regret and pleasure that I announce that Michael von Keitz will be leaving his position as the Executive Director of the Chess Federation of Canada. Michael has made arrangements for a suitable person to subcontract his duties beginning May 31st, 2014 for the balance of his contract with the CFC. Some details remain to be worked out.

I regret that Michael is leaving us but I take pleasure in the fact that Michael has been accepted into a law program which will allow him to follow his dreams. We thank him for his distinguished past service and wish him all the best in his pursuit of a career in law which he seems well suited for.

I expect that there will be transition issues which will consume a great deal of my time between now and the AGM. This may impact the time that I have available to spend on other important files that I am working on so lets not throw too many monkey wrenches into the machinery in the next few months.

Vladimir Drkulec
    President, Chess Federation of Canada

Re: Michael von Keitz will be moving on from the CFC executive director position soon

Really sorry to see Michael go. I can suggest a couple of things that need to be passed on to the new person:
    - quarterly rating data information to Roger Patterson and myself prior to each Governors' online meeting
    - forward any non-trivial rating questions or complaints to me
    - periodically update the CFC/FIDE rating page on the website
    - maintain the Pugi Fund balance and the webpage showing history of grants
    - forward Life Membership revenue to the CFC Foundation
    Best wishes Michael!
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Re: Michael von Keitz will be moving on from the CFC executive director position soon

Let me see if I get this straight:

- MvK resigns as CFC President before his term is up to become CFC ED.
      - MvK resigns his position as ED before his term is up to go to law school.
      - CFC went from Gerry Litchfield, who by all accounts was doing a fantastic job, to some unspecified sub-contractor.
      - CFC is going to be looking for a new ED come fiscal year-end.

May I suggest the CFC's new motto: we think one ply.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
        Reminds me of my wife, in the early days of our marriage, telling a friend "John's such a good chess player... he's always thinking one move ahead."

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          Let me see if I get this straight:

- MvK resigns as CFC President before his term is up to become CFC ED.
          - MvK resigns his position as ED before his term is up to go to law school.
          - CFC went from Gerry Litchfield, who by all accounts was doing a fantastic job, to some unspecified sub-contractor.
          - CFC is going to be looking for a new ED come fiscal year-end.

I agree that Gerry Litchfield did a fantastic job. There were escape clauses negotiated into every contract that resulted from the recent NFPs on both sides. In this case, instead of leaving us high and dry Michael approached an unspecified individual who is not named only because all of the details have not been worked out. Lets just say that my momentary consternation at the initial news were replaced by great feelings of relief and leave it at that. More details will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            I agree that Gerry Litchfield did a fantastic job. There were escape clauses negotiated into every contract that resulted from the recent NFPs on both sides. In this case, instead of leaving us high and dry Michael approached an unspecified individual who is not named only because all of the details have not been worked out. Lets just say that my momentary consternation at the initial news were replaced by great feelings of relief and leave it at that. More details will follow.
            Why not simply find someone yourself? I don't see much future in getting someone to fill in and then replacing that person.

I never had much luck with fill ins.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Which law school? Sounds like exciting times. Both of my brothers chose the art of litigation as a career and they love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Why not simply find someone yourself?
                If I were to find someone myself it would probably be the person that I was offered as a replacement. At the very least he would be one of the people that I would seriously consider if he was available.

I don't see much future in getting someone to fill in and then replacing that person.
                I don't see much future in not completing the NFP act process. I can't afford any new distractions. If this goes off the rails, well I would rather not think about all of the implications. It won't be much fun.

I never had much luck with fill ins.
                The CFC did. Especially this one. Gerry was a fill in too come to think of it and that didn't work out too badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                  Which law school? Sounds like exciting times. Both of my brothers chose the art of litigation as a career and they love it!
                  Lakehead I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                    Really sorry to see Michael go. I can suggest a couple of things that need to be passed on to the new person:
                    - quarterly rating data information to Roger Patterson and myself prior to each Governors' online meeting
                    - forward any non-trivial rating questions or complaints to me
                    - periodically update the CFC/FIDE rating page on the website
                    - maintain the Pugi Fund balance and the webpage showing history of grants
                    - forward Life Membership revenue to the CFC Foundation
                    Best wishes Michael!

Shhhhhh!!! He might run away screaming into the night if he comes to apprehend the true existential horror of the situation facing him.

Comment

Who is answering emails right now? I requested a new Swiss Sys code for our upcoming Niagara Falls Open. Did not receive it as yet.

Comment

Will you be running for re-election? If you won't, I suppose it doesn't much matter who gets the job.

Also, I thought Gerry was a known person who had previously done an excellent job so not exactly an unknown fill in.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Will you [Vlad Drkulec?] be running for re-election? If you won't, I suppose it doesn't much matter who gets the job.
                          What a peculiar thing to write. An efficient office is of benefit to all members, whether or not they are on the executive.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                            What a peculiar thing to write. An efficient office is of benefit to all members, whether or not they are on the executive.
                            What's wrong with the question? I'm wondering if he will run for another term and have to administer the organization with the work the new person who seems to be an unknown is doing OR if he walks away after his term finishes in a few months and it's someone elses problem.

In 1999 there were more than 3000 members. The last posted numbers last May were under 1900 members. It seemed like a fair question to me considering the importance of the position.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Will you be running for re-election? If you won't, I suppose it doesn't much matter who gets the job.

Also, I thought Gerry was a known person who had previously done an excellent job so not exactly an unknown fill in.
                              Gerry did an excellent job as did Bob Gillanders before him. Michael had to deal with a learning curve at first but things had been going much more smoothly recently.

I will be running for re-election. Our new executive director will not be an unknown. Given that we are in the midst of a governors meeting and I just got back from an impromptu road trip, I haven't had time to confirm that everything is set and hence my hesitation on making an announcement. At this stage it is a case of the contractor Michael von Keitz subcontracting with another party. I was just asked whether I approved of this subcontracting and when informed of the proposed subcontractor had no hesitation in saying yes. Another member of the executive, Hal Bond, is working point on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X