2014 CYCC and CO : Important Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 CYCC and CO : Important Announcement

In order to obtain the lowest room rates possible, the FQE made what we thought was an audacious but risky decision. We booked 1000 nights at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth and guaranteed the revenues for the hotel.

Today, I was contacted by the hotel and was very surprised to learn that nearly all the rooms we had booked are gone, with still two months to go before the deadline! This is obviously great news and we can definitely hope for a record turnout. However, registrations are probably just starting, so we had to negotiate for more rooms. Thankfully, this is the largest hotel in Quebec and there still is plenty of rooms left. So, the hotel will continue accepting reservations at the discounted rate ($135 per night, as opposed to usually over $200), as long as they still have available rooms (deadline is still June 13 though).

As July is a busy month in Montreal, with the Just for Laughs Festival being held at the same time as our tournaments, we highly suggest to all participants to book their room as soon as possible, as we will no longer be able to guarantee rooms for everyone.

Also, it seems like many of the CYCC participants decided to stay for the Canadian Open. The free entry offered to CYCC participants seems to have convinced many parents. In any case, we would like to remind you that you must warn us before June 10 to benefit from free entry.

Tournament website : http://echecsmontreal.ca/

Re: 2014 CYCC and CO : Important Announcement

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
    In order to obtain the lowest room rates possible, the FQE made what we thought was an audacious but risky decision. We booked 1000 nights at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth and guaranteed the revenues for the hotel.

Today, I was contacted by the hotel and was very surprised to learn that nearly all the rooms we had booked are gone, with still two months to go before the deadline! This is obviously great news and we can definitely hope for a record turnout. However, registrations are probably just starting, so we had to negotiate for more rooms. Thankfully, this is the largest hotel in Quebec and there still is plenty of rooms left. So, the hotel will continue accepting reservations at the discounted rate ($135 per night, as opposed to usually over $200), as long as they still have available rooms (deadline is still June 13 though).

As July is a busy month in Montreal, with the Just for Laughs Festival being held at the same time as our tournaments, we highly suggest to all participants to book their room as soon as possible, as we will no longer be able to guarantee rooms for everyone.

Also, it seems like many of the CYCC participants decided to stay for the Canadian Open. The free entry offered to CYCC participants seems to have convinced many parents. In any case, we would like to remind you that you must warn us before June 10 to benefit from free entry.

Tournament website : http://echecsmontreal.ca/
    WOW!!!

Félix...you have an awesome winner here...Congratulations!

Put on a great show and make dreams of a lifetime for everyone :)

Great to see Montreal back on the chess map!

Larry

Comment

If this tournament is only a modest success the hotel will probably book over $260,000 in gross revenue between the CYCC and Canadian Open. I expect it to be a spectacular success so the revenues will be much higher. You would think that hotels would be lining up for such opportunities. Anyway, I registered for both the tournament and hotel rooms for CYCC and the Canadian Open. I hope to play in some tournaments and get my rating over 2000 but if I don't, I don't. My USCF rating (where I play all the time) is over 2000 so I would not object to the organizers bumping me up to that section to avoid rewarding sandbagging CFC presidents. :)

Comment

WOW Felix, felicitations! I think I'm gonna go check the CO/COQ website! Well done creating a buzz around this!

Comment

Trivial comments: The QE has 1,039 rooms - making it the largest hotel in Quebec (and Montreal), but behind Toronto's Chelsea (1.590 rooms), Sheraton Centre (1.377), and Royal York (1,365). Prior to being converted into condos in 1988, Montreal's (Sheraton) Mount Royal hotel had 1,100 rooms.

World's largest: Izmailovo Hotel in Moscow (7,500 rooms) - built for the 1980 Moscow Olympics. 18 of the world's 30 biggest hotels are in Las Vegas, and 3 at/near Disney World in Florida.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_the_world

Did anyone book Room 1742 in the QE - where John and Yoko recorded "Give Peace a Chance"? (I am friends with (at least) two people who were in the room during the recording).

Comment

Working...
          X